Where would you go next for education if you are me? | FerrariChat

Where would you go next for education if you are me?

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by GermanyBound, May 25, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. GermanyBound

GermanyBound Rookie

Feb 4, 2015
    I am doing volunteer IT work in Mexico right now and have been doing it since the Mexico City earthquake. To fill in my time, I have been continuing my education; I have gotten 3 Master degrees (International Management, Information Technology, MBA - Info Management). A PhD in IT is pretty worthless unless you want to publish or teach which I do not want to do.

I want to continue to be a college student and do volunteer work. What type of education would you go after in my shoes? I am paying my own way for every degree, have been accepted to every college I have ever applied, and am looking for a challenge. Many will ask what I want to do and I am already doing it - do volunteer work for the rest of my life. I am just looking for something that would be a challenge to my brain to keep my brain functioning instead of dealing with the "time to make donuts" thing.

2. DrStranglove

DrStranglove FChat Assassin
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Google Maps
    Full Name:
    DrS
    Join the US Marines. No kidding.

paulchua and EastMemphis like this.
  3. alexandra-ny

alexandra-ny Rookie

May 1, 2021
    Southampton, NY
    Full Name:
    Alexandra
    If you're educating yourself for the sake of learning then I would continue to take courses in subjects that interest you. You're not confined to IT but you you could do CompSci, programming etc. Maybe switch and do law or economics? Those might help with the volunteering, and would certainly make you more valuable if you decided to jump into the rat race later on.

4. Jaguar36

Jaguar36 Formula Junior

Nov 8, 2010
    Cherry Hill, NJ
    To me the point in a degree is just to have the piece of paper to show prospective employers. If you want to learn more there are far better ways these days to learn than paying a fortune to a college for a degree.

It sounds like you're interdependently wealthy, so just study whatever interests you. AI is certainly the hot topic these days and sounds pretty interesting to me, but nobody can say what's interesting for you. CompSci/Programming would be another field I would consider as that can frequently be used to increase your productivity in almost any other field. If you're interested in volunteer work I'd imagine something in the healthcare field would be super useful.

rampante550 likes this.
  5. charly11

charly11 Rookie

Feb 9, 2022
    USA,Al
    Full Name:
    Charles Moxley
    Totally agree with the comments above. Do a little brainstorming to figure out what really matters to you
    I got my diploma, too, but it was of no use to me at all.
    The ability to compose stories came in handy. I work as an uk essays writer, absolutely love my job, and I like to help students. I wish you to make the right choice in life

6. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    You have a lot of degrees to be doing IT volunteering. Why not find a worthy non for profit that you can help grow and impact more lives and apply that MBA and IT degree?

rampante550 likes this.
  7. rampante550

rampante550 Formula Junior

Jul 20, 2010
    NC
    Full Name:
    D Day
    Honestly, and I mean this as an observation and not a criticism - you may only want to do those things because they're the only things you've ever done. Why not start your own organization?

Sounds like you have some $ and brains, and at some point you're going to realize you're better at this, or at least more motivated, than the people telling you what to do. I have other thoughts, but curious how this hits you first, I don't want to make too many assumptions or apply cases that aren't relevant to you.