Where to look | FerrariChat

Where to look

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by the head, Oct 1, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. the head

the head Karting

Mar 6, 2008
    Des Moines IA
    Full Name:
    J. Hedden
    I really like the styling of the 400i and 412 and am conidering purchasing one as the next car to add to my collection but they are proving to be a little difficult to find and figure out a fair price...can anyone provide some insight on these rare and unusual ferraris?

2. aidanparte

aidanparte Formula 3

Jul 18, 2004
    I would check out FerrariAds, Ferrari Market Letter, eBay and Michael Sheehan. I would say that this 400 forum highlights most 400/412s that come up for sale.

For a fair price, I'd say anywhere in the range $25,000-$40,000 depending on transmission, color and condition. There are quite a few bad cars out there, they show up on eBay and craigslist from time to time. Things like exhausts and windshields are very expensive to replace.

A good one with either auto or manual gearbox is a fantastic GT car.

Aidan

3. pks41805

pks41805 Formula 3

Aug 4, 2007
    Colorado Springs, Co
    Full Name:
    Paul Sloan
    I am really considering selling mine. She would make a nice running project. She is an 82 with an auto (41805).

4. the head

the head Karting

Mar 6, 2008
    Des Moines IA
    Full Name:
    J. Hedden
    What is color condition and cost?

5. brettski

brettski Formula 3

Feb 29, 2004
    north of toronto
    Full Name:
    brett swaykoski
    #5 brettski, Oct 6, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    i have a black/black 1981 Series 1 400i 5-speed for sale. it is currently under going a complete motor and transmission rebuild w/ brand new heads. lazer straight lines and any existing flaws in the paint will be corrected. glass and chrome are perfect, as are the dash and headliner.the factory headers have been cerama chromed, it has beautiful custom centers and new Ansa rear silencers.

don't let the dust fool you, the paint is really nice and this will be and outstanding example... and great value for the money.
    oh, i also am offering the correct 15" wheels with P5's as an option to the 415's and TRX's seen in these pics.

brett, www.granturismo.ca
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

6. brettski

brettski Formula 3

Feb 29, 2004
    north of toronto
    Full Name:
    brett swaykoski
    well, i attempted post more pics of the car outside, after cleaning, as many requested by PM...but i seem to have reached a picture limit...?

anyone know why ? do i need to renew/increase my subscription ? i wasn't notified in anyway...

7. blkprlz

blkprlz Formula 3

Mar 24, 2007
    Tampa bay
    Full Name:
    Bruce
    Same thing happened to me, no notification & couldn't upload. Re-subscribe & you're good to go.

8. ArtS

ArtS F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Central NJ
    Pay your annual $15 silver subscription fee and the limit is lifted.

Regards,

Art S.

9. brettski

brettski Formula 3

Feb 29, 2004
    north of toronto
    Full Name:
    brett swaykoski
    thanks guys, i figured as much...i wish Rob's software gave us a 'heads up' of sorts.

10. pks41805

pks41805 Formula 3

Aug 4, 2007
    Colorado Springs, Co
    Full Name:
    Paul Sloan
    Condition, 3
    Color, tanish with parchment leather seat piped in brown. Brown dash
    Price $17

I need to worry more about my pcb shop. No time to play with 41805.

11. Davidindallas

Davidindallas Formula Junior

Nov 5, 2003
    If you're serious I have a 365 GT4 and a 412, both of which are in excellent running shape. I've been thinking about parting with one of them. The 412 is an auto transmission.

12. Pcar928fan

Pcar928fan Formula 3

Jan 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    I have a $20... Do you have $3.00 change??? I'll take it even though it is tan for $20.00... LOL! It really is amazing how little a 400 can be picked up for these days. As noted on RennList though... With regard to Porsche 928's it is often said you are $10,000 away from having a $5,000 car! Same can probably be said for a lot of 400's. You are $30,000 away from having a $20,000 car! Or maybe it is more like $40,000 away from a $25,000 car...you get the idea though.

Good luck with all the buying and selling of the 400's.

Brett, that black car looks NICE! Great dash and headliner.

James

13. ArtS

ArtS F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Central NJ
    Brett,

I especially love the engine bay; nice and roomy!

Regards,

Art S.

14. brettski

brettski Formula 3

Feb 29, 2004
    north of toronto
    Full Name:
    brett swaykoski
    thanks James.
    ya... i was thinking of setting up a small office in there...nothing fancy, just the basics...you know, computer, fax, corbusier day bed, plasma...

15. the head

the head Karting

Mar 6, 2008
    Des Moines IA
    Full Name:
    J. Hedden
    What are you thinking for price? Condition? Mileage?

16. Davidindallas

Nov 5, 2003
    Let me think about price, but I'd prefer to sell the 412. They're actually equally quick despite the transmission differences (all 365's are sticks). The 412 is probably as nice or nicer than any car in the country owing to its previous owner and James @ Norwood. The 365 is the most under-rated car in the F car line up and the last of the great front engine carb'ed v12s and sounds all of it, which is why I'm not eager to part with it. That said, I've put a lot into getting that car up to where it can be started driven at any random moment, suspension, brakes, brake lines, tires, etc.. also part of why I'm less eager to wave goodbye. I've scheduled to take the 365 in in a couple of weeks to have a weak second gear synchro looked at. I may change my tune after that, but if it goes well, I'd want a lot for that car.

17. Davidindallas

Nov 5, 2003
    I'd take $37,500 for the 412. Thanks.

18. brettski

brettski Formula 3

Feb 29, 2004
    north of toronto
    Full Name:
    brett swaykoski
    ok...but the one that everyone is interested in is the 365.
    so, is it for sale or what ?

19. blkprlz

blkprlz Formula 3

Mar 24, 2007
    Tampa bay
    Full Name:
    Bruce
    Sounds reasonable,........miles/history?

I think it depends on the 2nd gear sync.

We're waiting..........

20. brettski

brettski Formula 3

Feb 29, 2004
    north of toronto
    Full Name:
    brett swaykoski
    oh it'll need it for sure...absolutely. is that all 'we're' waiting for ? is it a 'minor fix/no sale, major repair/for sale' type situation ?

21. Davidindallas

Nov 5, 2003
    No, the 365 syncrho is not a need thing, it's a should be done to let someone drive it like they'd want to drive a 355. I drive it fine and am not especially eager to part with it, as you've ascertained. If I want to full rev downshifts, I'll do it with a rented Evo. Last year, I listed it in the market letter and got hounded. One guy came to drive it, which I let him do and harder than I was comfortable with. He sure enough could make it grind on a downshift and then spent the next several weeks calling everyday, bargaining against himself and telling me he'd have to get the synchro done, etc... I simply pulled the ad and have driven the car for the last year without issue. If I keep it, I'll do the synchro and the clutch. The 412 is a two owner car. At present, it needs a new power antenna. One the Bass brothers before me. Miles are 26k. I've prbably put about 2k on it in the past two years. Condition is what you'd expect with a billionaire owner prior to me. When I bought it, it had been driven sporadically, and needed minor cosmetics, every fluid, battery and other stuff I can't recall right now. Bass spent a fortune on a major tune up in the late 1990s/early '00s, including stainless exhaust new trx's etc... Color is silver with crema interior. Will post a photo later. Have (several) gentleman inquiring on the 365 and plan not to sell it until I see what happens with 412. I will post the 412 on the ads page and on market letter this week. I have four F cars; all carefully bought and I know I need to thin one out and these two are too much alike to both keep. That said, I don't want to post an ad in Hemmings and run a used car lot or give thrill rides every weekend. Thanks for your interest and patience.

22. Davidindallas

Nov 5, 2003
    #23 Davidindallas, Oct 28, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  23. brettski

brettski Formula 3

Feb 29, 2004
    north of toronto
    Full Name:
    brett swaykoski
    that's a beautiful car with a rare and interesting colour combination. absolutely lovely.

24. Davidindallas

Nov 5, 2003
    Thanks. I just put an ad on it in the market letter. I'll put one on the ad page here as soon as I figure out how to subscribe and post it.