Where to locate records of what colour Mondials were delivered in what year, etc.. | FerrariChat

Where to locate records of what colour Mondials were delivered in what year, etc..

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by davemqv, Aug 26, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. davemqv

davemqv F1 Rookie

Aug 28, 2014
    USA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    #1 davemqv, Aug 26, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2015
    Was watching Seinfeld's "Comedians in Cars getting Coffee" the other day. He had Trevor Noah (new Daily Show host) on the show and chose a white/red 85 GTB QV to drive him around in. Seinfeld pointed out that 748 of were made (that year?). 56 for the US, and it was one of only 3 delivered in white.
    Made me curious about our Mondial's. I've never seen a list where colour and serial are linked but that info must exist. Does anyone know how to find it? I'd love to know how many of the 50 Mondial coupes delivered to the US in 1983 were black, and how many of those had red leather.

Tipo Model Year First # Last # #Cars Colour
    Mondial QV Coupe 1983 45639 49491 50 ???

Anyone?

2. soucorp

soucorp F1 Rookie

Sep 20, 2011
    Old Dominion
    Full Name:
    Mike
  3. sidtx

sidtx F1 Rookie
    Owner

Feb 9, 2014
    Frisco, Tx
    Full Name:
    Sid
    #3 sidtx, Aug 26, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    On the off chance that you haven't seen this before, here is a list of the model types.

I've also seen a further breakdown by year, but I don't have that one.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

4. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    Here's a wag, 60% were red and another 15% were repainted to Resale-red. ;)

5. davemqv

davemqv F1 Rookie

Aug 28, 2014
    USA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Ha. Funny because it's true. ;)

6. davemqv

davemqv F1 Rookie

Aug 28, 2014
    USA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Thanks Sid. I've seen the year breakdpwn as well but nothing that has serial numbers matched to colours as of yet.

7. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    But seriously, the question has been asked several times over the years and, unfortunately, a comprehensive "list" hasn't been found.

However, there was a running database with information provided by owners here:

http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/mondial/12078-mondial-registry.html

8. Leighton360

Leighton360 Karting

Mar 31, 2014
    South Wales UK
    #8 Leighton360, Aug 29, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 29, 2015
    You need to contact Tony Willis of Maranello Concessionaires . He holds the official build records for all of the early cars .. it will cost you a small fee but the info he has access to is great .
    I received copies of original order ( interior / exterior colours, required extras etc )and delivery forms - transportation details - frst reg details etc ...

His e mail is

EMAIL DELETED BY MODERATOR

Moderator note: Please do not post personal information without the permission of the account holder. You could send the info by PM if requested.

9. Leighton360

Leighton360 Karting

Mar 31, 2014
    South Wales UK
    #9 Leighton360, Aug 29, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2015
    Forgot to say you will obviously need to send him your vin plate details for individual car records

10. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    His records cover primarily UK RHD cars as I understand it

As an aside 'I've never seen a list where colour and serial are linked but that info must exist.' - why ?

Don't you think by now it would have been posted if it did ! Same applies to production by calendar and/or model year etc

11. srephwed

srephwed F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 29, 2012
    street,md
    Full Name:
    fred brown
    One thing I have found is that My QV is titled in the US as a 1985. I believe that when looking up parts etc. I have to look at a 1984 and on rare occasions have to look at the 8. I think that cars built for the north American market get thrown a change up at times. Hope this helps.

12. davemqv

davemqv F1 Rookie

Aug 28, 2014
    USA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    I think it's a fair assumption that Ferrari kept records of what cars were painted what colour (otherwise their Classiche restoration process would be interesting to say the least.)

I collect vintage watches, mostly from the 60's. All though the 90's and 00's and sometimes even now, some new documentation gets released or discovered that sheds lots of new light on things. So using as proof the idea that a serial number/colour list may not exist because it theoretically would have certainly been released by now - I don't buy that I'm afraid. It's out there somewhere. We just need to get our hands on it! Or compile it ourselves. ;)

13. Rapalyea

Rapalyea Formula 3

Jun 18, 2013
    Georgia Mountains US
    Full Name:
    David Rapalyea alias
    This is not something I expected. I bought my Prugna Metallica coupe simply because it was available and I liked the color. Over the last couple of years however I have done some research and some testing. My research has not uncovered more then four or five Prugna Metallica examples. And my testing [many 60mph indicated to 120mph indicated] simply do not even approximate the published numbers.

I confess I have become a bore on this subject. And even though the car seems faster then the red ones it still is not Vette. But 90mph in 1/8 mile seems to be my base line. And the run from actual 54mph to actual 112mph [60 indicated to 120 indicated] is WAY less then the published numbers. I mean by almost half. I could be mistaken.

I am tedious on this in the hope of flushing out additional evidence for or against. One poster [I unfortunately have lost his post] wrote the prugna ones are 1-2 two seconds faster. I assume that is in the 1/4 mile.

But none of this is all that relevant to whether the Mondial is a good purchase choice or not. I am one of the few people I know who actually drive their cars routinely at the far ends of their capabilities. Driven routinely as a daily GT + 4 I simply do not see anything even comparable to the Mondial.

Just LOOK at it!

14. Rapalyea

Rapalyea Formula 3

Jun 18, 2013
    Georgia Mountains US
    Full Name:
    David Rapalyea alias
    This chart shows more then 90% of 3.2 coupes sold outside the N. American market. This seems odd to me since the dollar was WAY strong in those days. [I lived in Germany 80-83 and a Mercedes could be had for Chevy prices]. Less then 90 examples of 3.2 coupes in N. America?

Interesting.......

15. sidtx

sidtx F1 Rookie
    Owner

Feb 9, 2014
    Frisco, Tx
    Full Name:
    Sid
    There wasnt a very large choice of verts. As I remember it, in the mid 1980s, all the domestics had phased out their convertibles.

Even with Ferrari, the majority of their cars were some form of Coupe. As I recall, the only cars Ferrari sold in 1985 were:

Mondial
    400 (412)?

The BB wasn't sold / officially imported into the US.

Of these cars, only the Mondial came as a true vert. Even the 308GTS were really coupes. I think that Ferrari was trying to do 2 things by making the majority of the NA Mondials verts

1. Meet some unrecognized demand for a true convertible
    2. Distinguish the Mondial from the 2 Seat sports cars
    3. Distinguish the Mondial from the 4 seat GT cars (400/412).

My car is an 85 Coupe. There were only 19 Mondial Coupes sold that year in NA.

Personally (and I've said this before here on FCHAT), I like the looks of the Coupe just a wee bit better than the cabs. I think the hard roof line shows/highlights the subtle body curves. Also, my AC seems to work really well. I routinely drive the car in 97F heat here in Texas. The AC has no problem keeping me cool.

Sid