Where is the 400/412 Market REALLY at? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Where is the 400/412 Market REALLY at?

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by full_garage, Dec 24, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. kayakjack

kayakjack Karting

Mar 29, 2004
    Yikes!!! Awful!!!

I have been luckier than this when buying used exotics. The folks I have dealt with for the most part have gone to extreme lengths to point out any defect in the car and honestly state its condition. Everyone I have bought from is someone I could gladly call a friend. Don't know if this is typical, but the BS you are being subjected to is unacceptable.

Only exception was a long time ago I bought a Lotus Europa John Player Special. Great car. Looked great. Owner said it was perfect - never in an accident, blah blah blah. He did not know that my sister knew him and was aware that he had an accident which freaked his wife out and she ordered him to sell the car. The car had been repaired fine, but he couldn't wait to get rid of it. All to my good.

Why bother with the BS???

Jack

Jack

2. thecarreaper

thecarreaper F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    merry xmas to you as well.

The whole "toy market" is screwed. Guns, cars, guitars, its like everything lost 40%of its value if it was old and rare, and yet some people dont think the junk they have took a hit in value as well. I have been brutally honest with people on my 208 Dino for sale. Its a nice original car, would make a great driver with some work done. But i keep getting these idiots who call and come here, who want a " brand new" 1978 208 Dino, for my $18,000 price. So i TOTALLY understand your frustration with lies, BS, and just plain bad cars.

I also know EXACTLY what you mean by the car talking to you as a buyer, its like something clicks, and you want "that one".

I think alot of people "need" to sell the car they have for sale, as opposed to some of us, who are just bored and want something else to play with.

You get these sellers who are scared to run off all the buyers by being honest, so they lie. I would rather sell to someone who "wants" THAT EXACT car, as opposed to some wishy-washy crybaby tire kicker, who "thinks" he "may" want and old carb Ferrari.

I do hope you find the right car soon, I would very much enjoy reading your thoughts and perspectives of how (whatever it is) drives.

I have ridden in and driven Judge4re's 365, and its an amazing car in its context. For its size, and age, i cannot image how superior they were when they were new, compared to the crap land barges that were on the roads then.

Good hunting to you.

Michael

3. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
    Thanks, it was a bit of a handful at Roebling Road, but while it is capable of track events, the 600+ mile drive home was what it was really made for... :)

4. full_garage

full_garage Formula 3
    Owner

Feb 15, 2010
    Sarasota Florida
    Full Name:
    Jay
    Brett-

Thanks- I'll give you a call after the Holidays and see what you have.

The prices I quoted are what the FML and the UK Sportcar mags are quoting-I am NOT looking for a $20K 400- My budget is substantially higher. I'm just trying to get a sense for $50-$80K 412 5 speeds and $40-$60K 412 autos- Is that the real market for very tidy cars or is that just dealer bravado?

I mean- PLENTY of $40K TRs about- but do you really want one?

I understand that the cars you are cosmetically and mechanically restoring are a completely different animal and the prices reflect the restorative work that has been performed- But they seem like a good deal to us Americans given the outrageous labor rates charged here.

Jack-

Yeah pretty much the norm for "exotic dealers"... lots of stories.

Sometimes yo do hit paydirt though- I bought a Porsche 930 from a "Pennysaver' magazine in Anaheim CA- Sight unseen- I saw the ad at the airport- called the guy- wired money and that was that- no PPI not personal inspection- Nothing. (Yes- it was CHEAP) The car rolled off the truck with a dead battery and 2" of water on the floor...(Windows had rolled down a bit during the trip to Boston)... new battery- cleaned up the interior- valve adjustment and fluids- The car was BULLETPROOF after that- strong synchros, tons of money spent on a decent glass-out respray and new Bilsteins all around- drove it for a few years and made a tidy profit when selling it. But I don't expect to have lightning strike twice! I'd rather determine what a FAIR price is for a very clean car, then seriously consider the cars available.

5. dstacy

dstacy F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2006
    GMT -5 & GMT +1
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Why would anyone cut into the dash of a high Italian car to install little tweeter speakers? <sigh>

6. full_garage

full_garage Formula 3
    Owner

Feb 15, 2010
    Sarasota Florida
    Full Name:
    Jay
    I believe that is Factory on the 88's...

7. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
    I recall the 412s having speakers, not sure if they were that type. Reference books are at home...

8. dstacy

dstacy F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2006
    GMT -5 & GMT +1
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Really? Hey lookie there I learned something today!

9. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
  10. full_garage

full_garage Formula 3
    Owner

Feb 15, 2010
    Sarasota Florida
    Full Name:
    Jay
    Location is stock- those appear to be aftermarket though...

11. Ashman

Ashman Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2002
    MA
    Full Name:
    John
    #36 Ashman, Dec 25, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 25, 2010
    I kinda track offering and selling prices, where available, on the series. Can't remember ever seeing any 412s offered for more than $50K since 2005 although there is one in Florida that apparently is offered in 2010 for $75K. Being an auto, and with less than 10k miles which means it likely needs a lot of recommssioning work, it will be lucky to ever sell for half of that. But I doubt the seller is serious anyway.

Doesn't take much to figure out the cars that are for sale and the ones that are only offered to see if a rich sucker comes along.

There are a lot of cars that are frequent flyers around various dealers over the past several years that have not had a conscientious owner for a long time and then there are the known cars with real owners who use them and maintain them.

The latter category is shrinking and there are not that many around.

12. full_garage

full_garage Formula 3
    Owner

Feb 15, 2010
    Sarasota Florida
    Full Name:
    Jay
    Michael-

Yeah I'll find something by Springtime- I've driven a few and am immediately underwhelmed- but the visual experience of the car both as a driver and from the outside is pretty unique, and once up to speed they really have a cool feel to them- 400 feels quite a bit different from the 412- but that may just be due to the two examples I've had the opportunity to drive.

I'm travelling a bit over the next month so I'll have the chance to examine 3 or 4 more in the flesh.

13. RVL Saratoga

RVL Saratoga Formula 3

Aug 27, 2010
    Saratoga Springs, NY
    Full Name:
    Robert
    Hello, Jay

There is a 412 5-speed for sale on consignment at AutoHaus Motors in Burnt Hills, NY. On the plus side, I can vouch for the fact that it's a well-sorted, well-cared-for car; probably as good as you'll find. The owner is a friend of mine and I've driven the car. He's had it for years.

The bad news is the $56k asking price, which I suspect is quite high for a 412, even of this quality.

If you are interested, I can put you in touch with the owner: just PM me

14. brettski

brettski Formula 3

Feb 29, 2004
    north of toronto
    Full Name:
    brett swaykoski
    why on earth is that "bad" news ???

why do 'we' apologize when the final iteration of the Colombo engine comes 'clothed' in an elegant, timeless, real-world-practical design and happens to cost over $50K ???

it's obviously a highly subjective topic, but it simply doesn't compute for me...
    if i had to choose between my Testarossa and my 400 it would take exactly 2.5 seconds for me to kiss the Testarossa 'bub-bye' !

unfortunately, i've got to run for now but i'd really like to examine the OP's question in detail...because this is the most interesting thread around here in a while...imho.

15. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
    Likewise for me, the 365 would stay, the 308 QV would be gone in a sec.

16. 4re Nut

4re Nut F1 World Champ

Mar 27, 2004
    N of NOLA
    Full Name:
    Steve
    #41 4re Nut, Dec 26, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 26, 2010
  17. Kds

Kds F1 World Champ

#42 Kds, Dec 26, 2010
    Well...........in defense of the red leather interior on the 412 all I can say is WOW.........that color combo looks great.

Having said that............buying "anything" (except a happy ending perhaps) from a place called "The House of Luxuries" kind of makes me uneasy..........

Interesting thread.

18. full_garage

full_garage Formula 3
    Owner

Feb 15, 2010
    Sarasota Florida
    Full Name:
    Jay
    Well... they're not.

There are a handful of high priced cars that have been on the market for years- YEARS.

Any V12 Ferrari that sits for 2 or 3 years without regular usage is going to need a fair amount of maintenance to make it work. And you have the math problem- To invest top of the market dollars and THEN invest another $5K-$10K just to go through the car to ensure it's fit for driving- that's a tough pill to swallow.

A car purchased from Brett or any of the other well known Ferrari experts has a provenance that a car purchased from a private seller does not, and thus will command a price that reflects the service and restoration work performed... versus a guy with a nice car who has "Tens of thousands of dollars" worth of records- the most recent being 1997.

19. Highmiler

Highmiler Formula Junior

Dec 8, 2010
    Missouri
    Full Name:
    Greg
    #44 Highmiler, Dec 26, 2010
    A fascinating conversation.

I bought my '84 400i auto from a friend about two months ago. It was for sale only because of storage space considerations. I have organized the paperwork and can offer some history.

I am the fourth owner since 2004. Each of us paid $30,000.00 for the car and it is cosmetically perfect. The engine seems perfect also having had about $4,500.00 put into it by owner A. It runs like a watch. Owners B and C each added about $1,500.00 worth of repairs.

Someone had replaced the cats, pipes and mufflers for about $1,000.00. I just replaced the OEM tires after all these years (@ $2,500.00) and the new ones transformed the both sound and the ride of the car. There was zero wear in the front end when the alignment was checked. The Blaupunkt Toronto is out for rebuilding with a cost estimate of @ $800.00. I will soon install power window modules to perk up the lifts and am currently straightening out the washer and wiper control. Nothing major. All of the car's ailments are the result of sitting in someone's garage. The odometer reads 41,000 KM.

If you add up the repairs it comes out around $11,000.00 and climbing on a "perfect" example. I hope this adds a little perspective.

The red interior really doesn't photograph well at all. It is not nearly as bright and imposing as the photos indicate. Mine is also Argent with a red interior.

Greg

20. Glaverbel911

Glaverbel911 Karting

Feb 20, 2010
    Neustadt ADW/Toronto
    Full Name:
    R. Groß
    #45 Glaverbel911, Dec 26, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I will side with KDS as I have a total weak spot for Red interior car's and waited for some time until I found my GT and it always brings hugh compliments where ever it's parked. I just don't like the tinted windows on that 412.. It would be the first thing i would remove.
    I spent $40K on mine with tax's and delivery costs without a single regret or second thought because that's what i wanted and it was all done sight unseen.
    Only thing wrong with my car is the AC has lost its charge but i could care less as i prefer windows down anyways so I can listen to the musical tone of the engine.
    Merry Christmas to all..
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

21. full_garage

full_garage Formula 3
    Owner

Feb 15, 2010
    Sarasota Florida
    Full Name:
    Jay
    Wow- FABULOUS histories here- keep em coming- Very interesting!

22. RVL Saratoga

RVL Saratoga Formula 3

Aug 27, 2010
    Saratoga Springs, NY
    Full Name:
    Robert
    Brett, that's a really fascinating take.

I listed it as "bad" news because I never see 412s actually change hands at that price. When they do sell, it's typically in the $30k-$40k neighborhood.

That said, $58k for that car may indeed represent value to someone for that car. I've spent roughly an hour behind it's wheel and vouch that it's lovely. Certainly the best example of a 412 I've run into (although I haven't seen very many.)

The bottom line is, that's not a price I would personally pay for the car. Then again, I don't have a strong itch for a 412. If someone out there really wants a top notch 412 and doesn't mind paying, they'll get a terrific car.

23. koisokok

koisokok F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 8, 2006
    nine 0 two one 0
    we have to be honest with each other and say that the market for the 400,412 is very low. Good, bad etc. Doesn't make a difference how clean a car is. You will not get what you think you can sell it for. When I sold my car I said I would not take anything under 39k. I think the car was amazing and should of fetched at least that. Had it placed in Dupont for a couple months and only a few bites. The first time i put it on ebay I had a buyer in Europe going back and forth on the price and it ended selling for 32k. Sad but for me a reality. Sorry but no way the 412 will go for 58k or close to it. Do I believe its worth it? YES!! I love it, but its not going to happen..

24. samsaprunoff

samsaprunoff F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2004
    Edmonton, AB Canada
    Full Name:
    Sam Saprunoff
    Good day Jay,

There is a 412 for sale in Calgary, AB Canada located here:

http://www.autotrader.ca/a/FERRARI/412C/CALGARY/Alberta/5_3347415_20070221112858031/

I know nothing of this car, but I have seen it for sale for over 2+ years now. Interestingly, in the past the car's price would actually fluctuate during the seasons in that I have seen it priced around $33K over the Winter and then to $50K+ in the Summer months. For whatever reason, this year the price change did not occur.

Also, this may or may not be the same car, but there was a 400 series that was for sale in Vancouver a number of years ago that had some stories. It was Red over white which is similar to this car and not too common especially here in Western Canada. Anyway, if you decide to pursue this car, it goes without saying that a thorough PPI, etc would be prudent with this or any car.

Cheers,

Sam

25. full_garage

full_garage Formula 3
    Owner

Feb 15, 2010
    Sarasota Florida
    Full Name:
    Jay
    #50 full_garage, Dec 27, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 27, 2010
    Thanks Sam-

Honestly- I am aware of EVERY 400/412 that is available through the various online sources.

That particular car has been for sale for YEARS- I remember seeing it on ebay a few years ago with a discussion here about it.

I am trying to get a sense if an auto 412 is worth $53K or a stick worth $60K- I mean...plenty of guys ask high prices (I passed on an awful lot of $78K 355s!) but does anyone actually get them? Sure seems like these cars sit forever unless they are priced right.