Where does this wire go? | FerrariChat

Where does this wire go?

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by Il Tifoso, Mar 6, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Il Tifoso

Il Tifoso Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 22, 2013
    SF Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Ruben
    #1 Il Tifoso, Mar 6, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Hi all,

I've got an orphan wire coming out of the brake fluid reservoir that I can't figure out what it should be connected to. My car is a 1986 412 5sp manual.

The wire in question is one of the pink wires that comes out of the reservoir, and as you can see in the pic below, it has an electrical connector which I presume needs to be hooked up somewhere.

Can anybody please let me know where this should be connected?

Cheers!

Ruben
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. blkprlz

blkprlz Formula 3

Mar 24, 2007
    Tampa bay
    Full Name:
    Bruce
    I pretty sure that the pink wire is to signal the brake warning light on the tach that the fluid is low in the reservoir, & the other connector end should be dangling somewhere down below the master cylinder.

3. Il Tifoso

Il Tifoso Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 22, 2013
    SF Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Ruben
    Huh, that's what mine was doing before I fished it out, but it doesn't make any sense... Was this wiring adapted from some other car and Ferrari in their infinite electrical wisdom just left it dangling?

I'll see if I can put a voltmeter on it and see if it's live.

Cheers!

Ruben

4. blkprlz

blkprlz Formula 3

Mar 24, 2007
    Tampa bay
    Full Name:
    Bruce
    I would think that it was connected & somehow got disconnected…
    The pink wires connect to a sensor on the brake line manifold located just below the master cylinder on the Series 2 400i's but with ABS on the 412's, I'm sure that's all changed. I would look at the wiring diagram in the OM & you'll be able to trace its path to whatever it's connected to.

5. rovexienus

rovexienus Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 10, 2010
    Sainte Colombe, France (near Lyon)
    Full Name:
    Jean-Michel Savary
    #5 rovexienus, Mar 8, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    My 1988 412 has the same set-up of one (of the two) pink wire coming out of the brake fluid reservoir cap and not plugged anywhere. Trying the maximum reach of the extremity of that wire, I do not see where it could go anyway.

The 412 wiring diagram shows the brake fluid cap (item 108) with two wires coming out (please refer to the image). One wire goes to the brake indicator light as expected. However the diagram shows another switch called "switch for warning minimum vacuum" (item 183). So in theory if the vacuum fails to be at the right level, the brake indicator light will be turned on. If the wiring diagram is to be believed the brake indicator light will be turned on if one (or more) of the following things happen: 1- low brake fluid in reservoir, 2- low vacuum in the servo, 3-handbrake on.

The brake servo unit does not show an electrical connector which would receive the loose pink wire.

So the reality does not appear to match the wiring diagram :(

The ABS wiring is separate from the brake indicator light wiring.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

6. blkprlz

blkprlz Formula 3

Mar 24, 2007
    Tampa bay
    Full Name:
    Bruce
    Good info!!
    Maybe it was planned to connect up to the servo but didn't make it through engineering. And your wiring diagram looks like thats what's happening, a line that goes 'nowhere'.

7. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Only the automatic cars had a low vacuum switch at the vacuum hose banjo bolt. The manual cars did not use that wire.

8. Il Tifoso

Il Tifoso Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 22, 2013
    SF Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Ruben
    Fantastic info - thanks very much Brian and rovexienus!

Cheers!

Ruben

9. Il Tifoso

Il Tifoso Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 22, 2013
    SF Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Ruben
    BTW, I was unable to find a wiring diagram in my 412 owners manual... Was this a separate booklet from the main book?

If it is in the main booklet, is it at the end of the booklet? My cover is separated from the book (I think most do that as my 308 is the same) so perhaps I'm missing some pages as a result...

Cheers!

Ruben

10. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    400i, 308QV, and BBi were the last cars to have the wiring diagram in the owners manual.

There is a separate manual for wiring diagram for all 412, 328, Mondial, and TR. After that wiring was in the shopmanual.

412 wiring books are often on Ebay. I think there is one available now.

11. rovexienus

rovexienus Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 10, 2010
    Sainte Colombe, France (near Lyon)
    Full Name:
    Jean-Michel Savary
    The 412 Wiring diagram is technical manual 441/86, can be found as a booklet or alternatively as a PDF file.

12. dstacy

dstacy F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2006
    GMT -5 & GMT +1
    Full Name:
    Dave
    If you don't mind a .pdf here is one for $18.
    Wiring diagrams PDF | Ferrari Automobilia | Maranello Literature | Librairie Ferrari Bookstore

13. Il Tifoso

Il Tifoso Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 22, 2013
    SF Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Ruben
    Thanks guys, much appreciated! :)

Cheers!

Ruben