Where do you draw the line on valet tipping? | FerrariChat

Where do you draw the line on valet tipping?

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by F355 Fan 82, Sep 12, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. F355 Fan 82

F355 Fan 82 F1 Veteran

Jul 22, 2006
    #1 F355 Fan 82, Sep 12, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2018
    I've been alot of places around the world and nowhere but miami do I see $40-100 as the norm to park in front. Originally from Houston, most places are free and ill tip $5-10 over there, $20 if I want it infront. Obviously I don't like valets driving my exotics so I like to leave them infront but at the same time $100 is ridiculous. $40 im fine with, but its annoying when they want so much more, i mean no offense not being cheap but that is just ridiculous, minimum wage is what $8.50/hr? I had a valet call me cheap last night bc I didn't want to pay $100 for my SLR to leave it infront, was told the car was "just a mercedes", I left and I called the restaurant and they invited me back and gave me a spot in the front for FREE, I told them I was coming to have dinner with my friends but their greedy valet drove me off.

Anyways, what is the most you guys are willing to pay for valet?

2. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    In another thread, I mentioned that in our little slice of Texas, Andrew Jackson ($20) does a great job of greasing the skids. Some gent from Cali, as I recall, mentioned that the going rate was more expensive out there. I am guessing that with all the $$$ in south Florida, it may be that Lincoln, Hamilton & Jackson don't get you the same results as Franklin...T

F355 Fan 82 likes this.
  3. shifter

shifter Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 8, 2004
    Danville, Ca
    Full Name:
    Joe
    One of the few times I come out ahead living in Eastern Maryland!! The valets MOVE cars in the front for me to park. I’m typically given the valet/services managers number to text when I’m coming so they can have a spot ready when I show up.

I should probably mention the next nicest car in the front is typically an M5/viper/corvette

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

Mbutner and F355 Fan 82 like this.
  4. Alcav5

Alcav5 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2012
    Scarsdale, NY
    Full Name:
    Al
    Tipping in general boggles my mind and stresses me out.

For the Ferrari I've given up to $40 at nice restaurants that let me park near the door. Otherwise at regular places I at least give them a $10 or $20 but I bet they are just happy to have it out front.
    At one of the more expensive places I've been to (Ocean House in RI) the valets wouldn't take a tip , and they moved some cars for me so I could park in front. I thought that was class and it embarrassed me red.

5. rdefabri

rdefabri Three Time F1 World Champ

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    I was a valet for a few years - I wouldn’t be slipping $20s, and don’t tip up front (unless you want your car parked in a special / “safe” spot).

$5 max. You have no idea what these guys do to your car, but I do :D

sherrillt, Mbutner and Texas Forever like this.
  6. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    If it's to park up front, it's not tipping. You are buying a spot for a couple of hours. Either you do it to show off or because you want to watch your car (i mean you in general, not OP).

So they will price it compared to the demand. Im sure Miami has more than its share of exotics and people wanting to show off so they can get away with it. I would be turned off also if i was told it's $100 to park upfront, esp when the car you are bringing does a great advertising job for the business but again, in Miami and depending on the spot, they probably have exotics lining up for those 4/5 spots.

I paid this type of fee once in downtown Chicago and realized how dumb it was considering that it didnt really buy me safety (if someone bumps the car, scratch it or even steal it, do you think the restaurant will reimburse you?? I highly doubt it, unless we are talking about a country club type of location and not a restaurant by a public street..) so i dont bother anymore. Either i park myself or drive my BMW beater.

sherrillt and BMW.SauberF1Team like this.
  7. Dave rocks

Dave rocks F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    For me, it's not to show off. It's to park where it's safe and less likely for door dings. This is Buffalo, not Miami. $20 and you are treated like a king. Shaking the hand of the valet and being cool to him goes a long way too.

8. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    $5 max, paid at the pickup. Of course, I’m only driving a Lexus.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

9. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Exactly this....T

10. Bradwilliams

Bradwilliams F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

40 is the going rate up in Chicago. I used to bargain with them every time and at least get them down to 30 dollars, sometimes 25.

11. Mbutner

Mbutner Formula 3

Aug 11, 2005
    Bay Area / Washington DC
    Full Name:
    Quick Draw
    Same (BMW). I make sure to be courteous to the valet up front, thank him/ her when handing the keys, and slip $5 when the car is returned.

Texas Forever likes this.