where do i find the accumulator on my Mondial 8? | FerrariChat

where do i find the accumulator on my Mondial 8?

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by alex-nz, Aug 31, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. alex-nz

alex-nz Rookie

Aug 31, 2011
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Alex Cuthbert
    hi everyone, having problems with hot start ups on my 8, starts perfect when its cold but once at running temp i have to turn it over for a good 30 odd seconds, then you hear it firing up 1 by 1.

ive been told its a commen problem when the accumulators stuffed, so when do i find it and is there any way i can test it?

many thanks, Alex

2. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    #2 Wade, Sep 1, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  3. alex-nz

alex-nz Rookie

Aug 31, 2011
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Alex Cuthbert
    Thanks Wade, I shell try that tomorrow. I was thinking i could do a fuel pressure test between the accumulator and the filter. Running the car until it's warm, this will give me a chance to check the fuel pump pressure, train of thought is if I then turn the engine off, if the accumulator is faulty I should see the pressure drop away, if the pressure stays up then the accumulator is doing its job and I've got a different problem.

4. afterburner

afterburner F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2008
    Hong Kong
    For difficult warm start-up, the workshop manuals recommends:

- check for leaks in the vacuum system
    - air flow sensor plate or plunger not moving smoothly
    - incorrect air flow sensor plate position
    - fuel pump not working
    - "warm" control pressure too low (WUR)
    - fuel system leak
    - leaking injector or opening pressure too low

5. PV Dirk

PV Dirk F1 Veteran

Jul 26, 2009
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    #5 PV Dirk, Sep 1, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 1, 2011
    I agree with your assessment. I don't have my Bosch book with me, it lists the test as basically what you have listed. Pressure is maintained to keep the fuel from boiling in the lines by the engine and causing vapor lock. It also IIRC eliminates the pulses from the fuel pump to give steady flow to the injection system.

On my 3.2 I blindly replaced my accumulator and my hard warm start issue went away.

Don't discount the above listed issues but don't touch the airflow plate as far as adjusting. That is something that 99 times out of 100 does not go out of adjustment and it is another issue causing whatever problem you are having. Don't want to compound problems. Good luck.

6. alex-nz

alex-nz Rookie

Aug 31, 2011
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Alex Cuthbert
    ok, so i've removed the accumulator. never got around to testing it but it was so old and crappy looking and i see there's a lot on here about then failing, so i decided to replace it anyway regardless of weather its the cause of the problem or not.

one thing i did notice was that when i disconnected it from the fuel pump and the fuel filter, even though they are meant to be under pressure, very very little fuel dripped out, but it poured out of the small low pressure tube on the rear. it seemed the back half of the accumulator was full of fuel which seems strange to me.

im only a beginner so any thoughts would be grateful, and thanks for the advice and emails so far.

7. afterburner

afterburner F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2008
    Hong Kong
    I'd
    - replace the fuel filter while you are in the area.
    - check the ground and 12V connection of the fuel pump
    - replace the hoses... from tank to pump to filter to acc. - you don't want any leak there, near the headers.

8. PV Dirk

PV Dirk F1 Veteran

Jul 26, 2009
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    I think the back half being full of fuel is an indicator of failure. Install the new one and see how the car operates. If you are new to wrenching on cars it is good to do one thing at a time and then verify operation of vehicle. If you change 5 things and then it won't start you will not know which of the fixes caused the problem or if it's something else.

9. alex-nz

alex-nz Rookie

Aug 31, 2011
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Alex Cuthbert
    Hi guys, well the new accumulator arrived last Wednesday from the States. I saved NZ$101 buying a new one off eBay, and shipping to New Zealand only took 9 days. Buying the same part from the local parts shop here would have cost me NZ$359 delivered door to door from Aus, compared to NZ$258 door to door from the states, and only 3 days longer.

As advised I replaced the fuel filter, accumulator and fuel lines regardless of their condition, removed the fuel pump and checked it's flow rate etc which was fine, so cleaned it up and re installed it.

Once everything was back it place I started the car which to about 20 seconds to fire up and let it warm up, once warm I turned it off for 5 minutes before trying a restart which it did perfectly in 1-2 seconds. I re assembled the rest and lowered it back to the ground and went for a nice afternoon drive which involved a few stops along the way, and each time it started perfectly.

So a job well done and only possible with the helpful advice from you all, many thanks
    everyone :)

Alex
    Christchurch (quakeville)
    New Zealand

10. PV Dirk

PV Dirk F1 Veteran

Jul 26, 2009
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    Success! Congratulations, this is what it's all about.

11. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    #11 Wade, Sep 17, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017