Where can I get new key blanks? | FerrariChat

Where can I get new key blanks?

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by Rapalyea, Feb 4, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Rapalyea

Rapalyea Formula 3

Jun 18, 2013
    Georgia Mountains US
    Full Name:
    David Rapalyea alias
    I misplaced my primary set of keys and have only one set remaining. So I would like to get several copies. The local lock smith just about had a conniption fit of laughter when I asked him if he could cut me some keys for a Ferrari!

2. robogeeks

robogeeks Karting

Sep 15, 2012
    A couple of year ago we decided to get new keys made so we had spares, and so we could keep the originals safely stored. We found the blanks at KeyBlankSales.com, they are the Fiat F91C8 for the door, and Fiat FT46 for the ignition, both from ilco. They were cheap enough that we ordered several of each blank, just in case. Our local professional locksmith shop was able to make copies using those blanks.

3. Rapalyea

Rapalyea Formula 3

Jun 18, 2013
    Georgia Mountains US
    Full Name:
    David Rapalyea alias
    THANKS! I told the lock smith the keys might be Alpha or Fiat blanks. He told me they might as well be from a 1949 Hudson as far as he was concerned!

4. gsfent

gsfent Formula 3

Nov 16, 2009
    PB County, Florida
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    I got mine from a board member a couple of years ago. I think board name was something like VWesty and he was in Texas. He had the folding key blanks and was able to precut the key using a good close up picture I was able to send of my existing key.

Let me see if I can find the name.

Regards,
    Jerry

P.S. Try "westyguy"

5. David Lind

David Lind Formula 3

Nov 19, 2008
    Full Name:
    David Lind
    I went to a locksmith here in a town of 47,000 & they had Fiat blanks on-site which worked fine. I suspect if you want the black folding bit w/ the horsey on it you will be bent over like Ned Beatty in "Deliverance"! Banjos, anyone?

6. porchnut

porchnut Formula Junior

Dec 2, 2014
    Tucson, AZ
    Full Name:
    Andrew Bober
    It wouldn't be a mountain thing would it? Need to come down to civilization, just kidding :)

7. Rapalyea

Rapalyea Formula 3

Jun 18, 2013
    Georgia Mountains US
    Full Name:
    David Rapalyea alias
    #7 Rapalyea, Feb 6, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2016
    Very much a mountain thing. We have ONE, count them: one, lock smith. And if these Fiat blanks are steel he will not cut them. I suspect the local Home Depot will cut them. But what a pain to have misplaced my keys!

On the other hand I have a local wrench who loves to work on the Ferrari. For instance, he did my clutch for $2,000 labor. And I am confident he did as good or better job because he spent his time and paid attention. For instance, he disliked one of the seals that came with the rebuild kit and found a better one at AutoZone. He replaced all four of my CV Joints and told me he would rather have done another clutch. And other things.

He specializes in 1930 era hot rods. Has been trying to get me to do one for years. And here is his expertise. He uses Jaguar rear ends. Builds his own chassis pieces, installs A/C in them etc etc etc.

PS: Years ago I took to sampling the local White Lightening. Yes. We still DO have boot leggers up here in my very own mountains. And get this. I like Scotch; LaPhroag is where you end up. But White Lightning is poison even when sold in legal State Liquor Stores. But a buddy of mine bought a gallon of pale yellow stuff that was probably 120 proof. And you know what? I would have put it on the top shelf in ANY high end bar. Unbelievable!

The chemical composition was certainly unknown. But the taste was, well, subtle, refined, and very very potent! $32 per gallon.

8. porchnut

porchnut Formula Junior

Dec 2, 2014
    Tucson, AZ
    Full Name:
    Andrew Bober
    #8 porchnut, Feb 6, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Speaking of Hot Rods, I got started on my car buying spree a few years ago and the first thing I bought was this 1929 Model A High Boy. It was built in Chicago in 1978 and it was orginal when I got it. Loved the car, but with bad knees and back it was just too hard to get in and out. Came with a Carson style hard top also.
    Andy
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

9. Rapalyea

Rapalyea Formula 3

Jun 18, 2013
    Georgia Mountains US
    Full Name:
    David Rapalyea alias
    I have always admired these things but I was into cornering! My local wrench wants me to do a standard GM sedan from about 1939 or some such. And then there is this! My school mate Norm Wizner made a Bucket T WAY back in the old days. Perhaps about 1970. Apparently HIS was used as a template for one of the toy manufacturers. Later I heard he had a shop in Atlanta.

My favorite, however, was retro mod early or mid 1950s Mercury two door that the guy who did chrome for my 1991 Mark VII had. Black and yellow! Electric Windows. A/C. Modern suspension and brakes. I was in lust! I forget the power train, but the entire vehicle looked block stock 1950's!

One of our car shows up here in the Mountains (we have some seriously good ones) there was a group of couples who had Rolls Royce's and Bentley and an American vehicle or two from just after the brass age. These were giant rolling mausoleums. But every last one of them was retro mod! They would drive from show to show over the season and just chill out!

One year we had the S.E American Auto Restoration traveling exhibition. Geeze. There were so many exceptional cars I could not comprehend it. I mean Smithsonian grade 1912 or some such Cadillacs. There were probably 20 Chevy Cameo (?) "pickup-cars". And front opening BMWs from the 1950s. I remember seeing the only 1954 restored Plymouth 2door I had ever seen! As a kid I thought our 1956 was SO much better.

Well. I really really liked that Raymond Lowe cum Studebaker clean look now! I have been to so many car shows in my life I have given up. Even though almost every last one of them has something new! A long time ago I became one of the few people to have ever seen an actual Tucker DRIVE to the exhibition spot. Rockville required that as a qualification for entry. I think EYE exhibited my pathetic 1965 Corvair Convertible which was and still is pathetic.

10. Alden

Alden F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 25, 2010
    Central Florida
  11. bbekker

bbekker Karting

Jan 16, 2010
    Mexico
    Full Name:
    Bas
  12. srephwed

srephwed F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 29, 2012
    street,md
    Full Name:
    fred brown
    Find a new locksmith. Went to mine and it took him a couple extra minutes but pulled blanks off the rack, Made me two spare sets, Less than 25 dollars on the rim and out the door. Plain keys, No rubber, No fold but keys that work. Good luck