Where can i find this spare part ? | FerrariChat

Where can i find this spare part ?

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by theobordeaux, Apr 4, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. theobordeaux

theobordeaux Formula Junior

Jan 13, 2011
    Bordeaux (France)
    Full Name:
    Theodore
    #1 theobordeaux, Apr 4, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Eurospares does not have. Is there a compatible part in another car? Is number 5 in the picture. Is for 400 auto 1977.

Thank you for your help.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. simon klein

simon klein Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 25, 2009
    North Qld
    Full Name:
    simon klein
    Jeez mate good luck with that,as I've been told by my mechanic....they're unobtainium!

Mine still work OK but will need to be either recond(if that's possible) or replaced,at some stage.

3. Ak Jim

Ak Jim F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 23, 2007
    North Pole AK
    Is FChatter Verel still around? He was offering rebuild services on these.

4. roger21

roger21 Formula Junior

Aug 13, 2015
    France
    Full Name:
    Stéphane
  5. Bill26

Bill26 Formula Junior

Jun 19, 2005
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Bill Murdoch
    I've bought some repair parts from Verel for these switch units - he has lots of the parts needed and the quality is good.

Good quality acrylocyanate (superglue) is very useful for repairing the cracked and broken plastic parts.

Regards

WM

6. jacques

jacques Formula Junior

May 23, 2006
    Los Angeles/Florida
    #6 jacques, Apr 4, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2017
    Verell is absolutely the go-to guy for the Frankenswitch. Not inexpensive, but his work is absolutely perfect. He molds and manufactures nearly every part of the switch in his shop up in Mass. However, he is presently rehabbing from a joint replacement surgery of two weeks back, but his seems to be a game old duck, and will be back up soon. He is very much loved across Fchat. J-B Weld is far and away superior to superglue. Ask me how I know. Jq.

7. Nathan76

Nathan76 Formula Junior

Jun 20, 2013
    Leicestershire, UK
  8. jacques

jacques Formula Junior

May 23, 2006
    Los Angeles/Florida
    How? How?? you ask?? There's one in every crowd, I guess. I had to repair mine on my own before Verell came on the scene...Twice. If you must..use the standard long curing JB Weld, as it is much stronger than the "fast-cure" ones (fifteen years and counting), as it has a higher modulus. Also, go to the 308 forum, as this switch has been discussed with several excellent threads...read them all..."multi-switch". I hope this helps someone. Jq.

9. simon klein

simon klein Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 25, 2009
    North Qld
    Full Name:
    simon klein
    I think I'm with Theodore in thanking everyone here for all that info.

10. wda24729

wda24729 Formula 3

Sep 22, 2014
    Devon, UK
    Full Name:
    Graham
    What is the actual problem with it?

I just went down this route on a 348 and after lots of panicking about trying to find a replacement, it turned out to be an electrical issue!

11. theobordeaux

theobordeaux Formula Junior

Jan 13, 2011
    Bordeaux (France)
    Full Name:
    Theodore
    Yes, as Simon says, thank you all for your help. We will try to tweak the unobtainium and we will see the result.

12. wda24729

wda24729 Formula 3

Sep 22, 2014
    Devon, UK
    Full Name:
    Graham
    My electrical issue turned out to be on the back of the fuse board, so might be worth looking a bit further. What is your actual problem?

13. Verell

Verell F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

May 5, 2001
    Groton, MA
    Full Name:
    Verell Boaen
    If it is the headlight twist switch not working properly, that's a well known problem. See this thread for a fairly easy repair:
    http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/308-328-sponsored-yellow-compass-group/257534-instructions-fixing-headlight-switch.html

If that is not the problem, we can repair most of the other things that can be wrong. Send me eMAIL.

I'm recovering from knee replacement, so repairs will take longer than usual.

BTW, none of the adhesives mentioned earlier in this thread work reliably on the plastic used for these switches(been there):
    http://www.ferrarichat.com/discus/messages/256120/107784.html
    so don't waste your time with them.

14. wda24729

wda24729 Formula 3

Sep 22, 2014
    Devon, UK
    Full Name:
    Graham
    Its good to hear this Verell. I do panic sometimes when such important items are shown as NLA. Thanks

15. Jasonberkeley

Jasonberkeley Formula 3

Apr 23, 2017
    NW Corner, CT
    Full Name:
    Jason Berkeley
    Hi guys,

So just trying to wrap up a couple of the common electrical gremlins that are on my new ride as well. Considering the car sat for most of the past ten years, no surprise.

My headlight switch seemed to be fine until last night, and are exhibiting all of the symptoms found in the thread Verell referenced above with nice detailed instruction on the 308 forum.

http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/308-328-sponsored-yellow-compass-group/257534-instructions-fixing-headlight-switch.html

I just want to confirm, since the switch at the end of the stalk is visually different from the 308, that the procedure is the same on a 1984 400i. I dont want to start pulling on the switch (while holding the stalk), and find out its not the same on a 400i the hard way!

If someone on here who has done it can confirm and offer any additonal suggestions, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Jason

16. Jasonberkeley

Jasonberkeley Formula 3

Apr 23, 2017
    NW Corner, CT
    Full Name:
    Jason Berkeley
    #16 Jasonberkeley, May 14, 2017
    Last edited: May 14, 2017
    Wow- the instructions for repairing this were spot on. Done in 15 minutes. The soldered connection on my green wire had broken. My soldered joint isn't pretty as a couple of the ones posted, but its doing the trick.

Was super paranoid about using too much force and breaking the stalk, but everything went as described.

Thanks for the detailed instructions from the 308 section!