Where can I find a fog light switch | FerrariChat

Where can I find a fog light switch

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by Journiacois, Feb 20, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Journiacois

Journiacois Formula Junior

Dec 28, 2013
    Dordogne, France
    Full Name:
    Gerald
    My mechanic tells me that the front fog light switch on the dash does not work. He was also attempting to make the fog lights be able to be on without opening the main beams. Anyway, he has been quoted a ton of money by Bosch to replace it and half a ton by a place in the US.

Can anyone give me a source to replace the fog light dash switch on my 85 QV that does not break the bank?

2. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
  3. MvT

MvT F1 Rookie

May 25, 2013
    The Netherlands - NH
    Full Name:
    Tijn
    There might be a cheaper solution :) My hazard light switch didn't work anymore. I opened it up and there was a resistor of 0.10 cents. Replaced it with a new one. Et voila, working! :) I guess the same applies to the fog light switch.

HTH
    Tijn

4. DavidJ

DavidJ Formula Junior

Feb 12, 2012
    Northern NJ
    Full Name:
    David
    Try the usual sources for used parts.
    Ferrparts on the west coast of the USA is a source I have used for many switches. I think I paid about $60 for a fog light switch a few years ago.

The Ferrari switches can be taken apart and the contacts cleaned and re-surfaced with a burnishing tool. It makes them like new. However, they will need to be cleaned again after a few years of use. They are a poor design that does not self clean as it moves the contacts.

DavidJ

5. Wade

Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    #5 Wade, Feb 21, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  6. DavidJ

DavidJ Formula Junior

Feb 12, 2012
    Northern NJ
    Full Name:
    David
    I looked it up. I paid $22 for a fog light switch for my "T" from Ferrparts (used part). Same part number is used for the parking light switch on my car. I got these in 2012.

DavidJ

7. Wade

Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    #7 Wade, Feb 21, 2015
    The OP is asking about the dash-mounted fog light switch (push button) whereas the t uses the rocker type switch in its console. The latter is a simple switch, and where the cost differences come into play.

It's not often that the t comes ahead with lower costs. :)
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

8. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

9. Wade

Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    #10 Wade, Feb 21, 2015
    The faceplate "mounting pins"s are heated/melted during initial assembly, so disassembly isn't "non-destructive" (to a small degree).

However, the internals are generally specific to their application. Consulting with the wiring diagrams should help...

10. Journiacois

Dec 28, 2013
    Dordogne, France
    Full Name:
    Gerald
    Thanks for your input guys. At least it confirms that my mechanic was being straight up with me. I've been tied up these last days with our car club (multi marque) annual fund raiser which brings together 350 venders things related to cars/motos (no, no Mondial fog switch parts). So I'd only had time to do a bit of research before I turned to the Mondial community for your thoughts.

And the surprise is that this model mondi is some sort of time warp engineering anomaly, even from within the ferrari universe. It's so nice to be special!

I'd asked my mechanic to make my fog lights, into running lights because, they seemed to work that way. Yes, I was able to push the switch after the main headlights were flipped up and on and then turn off the headlights, and the fog lights would stay on. I thought that was amazing and why hadn't I figured that out before. I like driving with lights on but am not a fan of the mondi headlights being up. Anyway, this worked. Now I understand why, the switch was going bad.

I'll return to real life next week and see where this goes. Thanks again for your input and I'm hoping there is some sort of hack out there that can solve this. For example, my Alfa 159 has similar, push on it while the lights are on, flat button-switches for fog lights. Probably not.

Regarding making them into running lights, my mechanic thought he could do it because it would make the car "conform" to European mandates about running lights. Between his mechanic speak in french and my comprehension, much can get lost. However I thought the implication is that he can do it no problem and can have it approved so that it will not affect the next inspection. If this all plays out, I will try and get better info.

11. Journiacois

Dec 28, 2013
    Dordogne, France
    Full Name:
    Gerald
    My mechanic and I have come up with a temp, but I think elegant, solution to the price of replacing the fog light switch...leave it there as it. Dont try and take it apart and clean it or replace components.

We are going to detach the wiring from behind and install an ordinary switch in an accessible but hidden place under the dash. He says no problem to have the lights wired directly to the switch so I'll be able to use them any time I want, with the headlights up or down. He is going to put an additional relay into the line as well.

I'll take some pics when I go pick up the car and see if he can give me any insight into how the rewiring was done. I'll post what I find out.

The look in the cabin stays the same and I'll have functioning running/fog lights. I realize this is a work around but the savings in money is paying for my AC repair. First things first. I can continue to look for a replacement for a long time.

12. 88Testarossa

88Testarossa Formula 3

Sep 25, 2012
    Annapolis and Daytona Beach
    Full Name:
    Al
    Looking for a TR Foglight switch p/n 121607 for <$150 or will do the bypass wired switch with relay solution suggested. Thanks guys!