Where can I buy New Tires | FerrariChat

Where can I buy New Tires

Discussion in 'Vintage Ferrari Market' started by srslusso, Aug 4, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. srslusso

srslusso Formula Junior

Mar 17, 2005
    Encino,Ca.
    Full Name:
    Steve S.
    I am trying to buy VR Rated Performance Tires for my 1968 365GT 2+2. The car now has 7 year old Eagle Gt Tires size 255/60-15 that look too large for the car. These cars were undertired when new and equipped with 215/70-15s. The car also has a spare set of Coker made Michelins in that size that are 7+ years old and they reportedly handle like the car is an ice cube on oil with them. I would like to buy a new set of 5 tires in 235/60-15 or similar in a Major Brand name; Michelin, Pirelli, Bridgestone, Continental etc and cannot find a source for them in Los Angeles or via Tire Rack etc. Does anyone know of a source that has tires in stock with recent date codes, not anything that has been sitting for years ?

2. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    While not a well known name in the North American market, Goodyear found me V rated FULDA Assuros in the size I needed for my 308GTB......14" rims.

They flew them in FRESH from the plant in Germany...LOL!

Goodyear owns FULDA..

3. srslusso

srslusso Formula Junior

Mar 17, 2005
    Encino,Ca.
    Full Name:
    Steve S.
    I would like to know how to contact someone familar with Fulda. Please post or PM me.

4. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    PM sent, as mine was not a retail sale, it was an "inside job" but I have flagged the Ferrari vintage need in North America to them, Coker $$ is just nuts...

5. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    #5 BigTex, Aug 4, 2008
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2008
    I have since heard from a Canadian that purchased the FULDA Assuro via a dealer in the UK, that may be the only retail way to source them currently, into North America.....look thru the 308 Section where we discuss 14" rim applications....it's almost Coker now or NOTHING in the OEM size...

6. thecarreaper

thecarreaper F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    www.tirerack.com search by size.

7. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Try that with ["V" rated 14" or 15"] reaper, not much to chose from in the Major Manufacturers......

8. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    I have Pirelli P4000s in the original size (215VR70) on my 365GT 2+2. I've been quite happy with them.

I have XWXs from Coker on my 512BB, and I don't have any problem at all with the handling-- although I'm not looking to maximize the grip. If it was good in 1979 (or 1969), I'm fine with it.

9. yale

yale Formula Junior

May 2, 2004
    New York City

Did you look on Google?

http://www.tirefactory.net/Fulda.htm

I was with some teenagers this weekend at a beach house with wifi. There was not one question or discussion that came up that one of them didn't check their laptop to look at Wikipedia or Google. No unanswered questions in this modern world.

Best,

Yale

10. shill288

shill288 Formula Junior

Feb 24, 2005
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Steve Hill
    I use the Pirelli P600 235/60ZR15 tyres for the C/4 and Daytonas. If you want 215/70VR15, you can use Pirelli P4000 (ZR rated), Michelin XWXs, etc. The Pirelli tires are available at Tire Rack, www.tirerack.com in the US.

Steve

11. srslusso

srslusso Formula Junior

Mar 17, 2005
    Encino,Ca.
    Full Name:
    Steve S.
    235/70-15 ZR Pirelli P600 are out of stock at Tire Rack, Local dealer quoted 6-8 weeks as they are built in Batches when they get enough orders once in a while.

12. shill288

shill288 Formula Junior

Feb 24, 2005
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Steve Hill
    My offer holds. I have brand new Pirelli P600 235/60ZR15 with stickers still on them if you want/need them for Monetery. They're sitting on a tire rack in the garage. Just trying to help.

Steve

13. jcwconsult

jcwconsult Karting

Sep 20, 2004
    Ann Arbor, MI
    Full Name:
    Jim Walker
    Other than very specific uses (track, etc.), it would seem important to me to stick with the original size 215/70R15 (V rated). I have Michelin Energy types of this size on my car and find them totally satisfactory for my use.

Regards,

Jim Walker
    365 GT 2+2 #12451

14. velocetwo

velocetwo F1 World Champ

Dec 11, 2006
    Left Coast

All cars were undertired back then or at least most, by todays standards. If your rim size is 215/70-15s you should stay close to that size. The Michelin XWX is one possibility, but most people who like to drive don't care for the tire. Todays Pirelli 400 or 600 is much better and a fraction of the cost.

If you want somthing diffrent than Pirelli this shop know what they are doing http://www.rogerkrausracing.com/

But I am an old fart and most of the young guys like to put Jessie James style rims on their rides and play rap music.

15. srslusso

srslusso Formula Junior

Mar 17, 2005
    Encino,Ca.
    Full Name:
    Steve S.
    I spoke to Rodger Kraus today and he only has Avon Racing tires for me. I think I will take up Shills offer since the P600s are the best available. I'll see everyone in Monterey.

16. Zanny1

Zanny1 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 19, 2003
    Arizona
    Full Name:
    Mike
    #16 Zanny1, Aug 9, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Pirelli P600 235/60 ZR 15's..... just put them on my C/4. They handle great and look just right, IMHO. Cost was around $190 each from tire-rack. I do have a set of T Rutlands coil over shocks in place of the original load levelers, which were worthless in terms of maintaining ride height in the back.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

17. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

18. srslusso

srslusso Formula Junior

Mar 17, 2005
    Encino,Ca.
    Full Name:
    Steve S.
    Tire Rack was able to supply me with Pirell P4000Es which will go on Monday. This Zr Rated 235/65-15 should be a good tire for me ( I hope)! It was originally made for jaguars XJRs And XJSs. Damien at Fusion Motorsports is putting her back together just in time for me to dive her to monterey for the Historics. Now all I need is an alignment to compensate for the different specs of these tires compared to may former 255/60-15s. Any Suggestions ? also tire pressures Ferrari originally suggested running several pound higher in the back, I guess to compensate for the weight of passangers and luggage, which I won't have much of. I am thinking of 34front -38 back.