Where Are All the Mondi Coupes? | FerrariChat

Where Are All the Mondi Coupes?

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by Temple, Nov 25, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Temple

Temple Formula Junior

Jun 13, 2015
    Portland, OR
    Full Name:
    Temple
    As I am sometimes wont to do I googled “Ferrari Mondials for Sale” and saw that Hemmings had 25 listed, which I thought a pretty high number. For curiosity’s sake I scrolled through the adds and what immediately struck me was the absence of coupes. Of the 25 cars listed only 2 were coupes, and one of those was a Mondial 8 which only came in coupe form (the only other coupe was the black t coupe that Marlin has had for quite some time now). I have to admit that I was really quite surprised by the disparity. I know many more cabs came to the US than coupes but certainly not in the ratio of 12:1. Wondering what could explain this? Thought it might be an interesting subject for the forum here.

Temple

2. theunissenguido

theunissenguido Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2004
    Argent/Brasil
    Full Name:
    Guido
    Coupes are more a "keeper" for those who drives on a daily bases. So they will be sold less.
    Other explanation is less problems with a coupe....no infiltration of water inside the car so less rust, less electric problems and no problems with the cabrio top.
    You can use a coupe as real 4 seater....I think with the top down, you only can use a cabrio as 2 seater.

Guido

3. stekkefun4

stekkefun4 Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 22, 2006
    Belgium - Europe
    Not sure about the 4 seats, Guido, I have both and the space for the people in the back is the same for a coupe and cabrio.

And I can confirm that with a cabrio, there are some extra issues like with the rear windows and top mechanisms...

4. sidtx

sidtx F1 Rookie
    Owner

Feb 9, 2014
    Frisco, Tx
    Full Name:
    Sid
    paulchua likes this.
  5. Temple

Temple Formula Junior

Jun 13, 2015
    Portland, OR
    Full Name:
    Temple
    As per my original post I knew that the US received many more cabs than coupes so there will always be some disparity in the number of cabs vs coupes for sale here in the US but certainly not 12:1. From the figures above, and excluding the Mondial 8 which only came in coupe form, I see approx 1,100 cabs sent to the US vs approx 200 coupes, so a ratio of approx 5:1. If I were to take out the Mondial 8 from the Hemmings listings 24 cabs are presently listed for sale vs 1 (ONE!!) coupe, so my question remains where are all the Mondi coupes (in the U.S. that is)??

Temple

6. 2cam

2cam Formula Junior

Aug 28, 2014
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    MikeS
    Temple, I agree that there are usually quite a few more Cabs than Coupes for sale (at least in the US) at any given point of time due to the difference in the numbers of each imported to the US. However, I believe that a single, point in time snapshot can be somewhat misleading. As an example, in the past 6 months there have been (4) 3.2 Coupes change hands (and a 5th under contract?), (3) t Coupes for sale (one very recent transaction), at least (3) QV Coupes listed for sale, and several 8 Coupes. So, at least (10) Coupes publicly for sale in the U.S. during that time period. Doesn't seem to be too bad at first glance.

2cam

7. Mark C Harvey

Mark C Harvey Karting

Jul 17, 2018
    West Hartford, Connecticut
    Full Name:
    Mark C Harvey
    It would be interesting to have annual sales figures for Mondial’s. As 2cam said, snapshots can be misleading - a year of data would be more revealing.

8. ATLdoghouse

ATLdoghouse Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2016
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Cody L
    As rare as the t coupes are in the US/Canada, I know of 4 in Atlanta GA; mine, Scott's, Kirk's, and the one for sale at Merlin. Roughly 10% of the original inventory in the same city. It makes me wonder how many are still even on the road ?

4re308 likes this.
  9. gsfent

gsfent Formula 3

Nov 16, 2009
    PB County, Florida
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    Mine is tucked in the garage. And JLF (I think in Dallas) recently purchased one. So 2 more t coupes accounted for!

The coupe on BaT that just sold was imported, but add that to the list (of now at least 44 known in the U.S/Canada).

Regards,
    Jerry

10. djs308

djs308 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 2, 2002
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    David S.
    I have a similar question. What is the going market rate for an average coupe these days? It seems that Cab prices have shot up and are now all over the place. And mint, low mileage Cabs seem to have really strong asking prices in recent years. Hagerty doesn't seem to acknowledge this trend, at least with 3.2 coupes, as they show values quite flat. So with so few coupes popping up for sale at any single moment, I'm wondering what they really go for these days.

11. Mechanical Dad

Mechanical Dad Formula Junior

Aug 30, 2016
    East Aurora NY
    Full Name:
    Josh
    The coupe on BaT that just sold was imported, but add that to the list (of now at least 44 known in the U.S/Canada).

Regards,
    Jerry[/QUOTE]

I have one of the 44. And looking for another. I think the coupe just looks better. The mrs wants a cab, but I'd take another coupe anyday!

gsfent likes this.
  12. davem

davem F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2002
    Stepford, Connecticut
    Full Name:
    dave m
    The one thing that scares me about the T coupe that was on Bat was the advertised clean Carfax. Now maybe there's more to it.....I really didn't look but does Carfax mean anything for a car that spent 29 years out of the country!?

Edit, ok I just quickly looked at the Carfax. Was imported to Canada in 2006, so has history since. But still a concern for time prior. Not that it's the end all, be all.

Lots of interesting comments on Bat.....

13. Temple

Temple Formula Junior

Jun 13, 2015
    Portland, OR
    Full Name:
    Temple
    Fellow f-chatter WilyB has another Euro t coupe (I think French but maybe Belgian) so add another to the “1 of 43”

Temple

WilyB likes this.
  14. Temple

Temple Formula Junior

Jun 13, 2015
    Portland, OR
    Full Name:
    Temple
    I guess we’re at 1 of 45 now.

Temple

15. stekkefun4

stekkefun4 Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 22, 2006
    Belgium - Europe
    Many USA coupes have been imported in Europe too :) , I think at least 5 US coupes are on sale in Europe right now and at least 5 more from Canada

16. read33

read33 Karting

Mar 23, 2017
    Long Island
    I wonder if the coups were used by owners more like a regular car.... i.e driven daily like an M5 and thus ultimately used up. Even the few that pop up for sale, they rarely have ultra low miles.
    I have a cab (t), and love talking the top down, but any rag top isn’t an ideal daily driver. Those coups, on the other hand might be the coolest daily driver you could buy.... beautiful, interesting cars that could be taken anywhere 12 months a year.

17. Mechanical Dad

Mechanical Dad Formula Junior

Aug 30, 2016
    East Aurora NY
    Full Name:
    Josh
    My last post got all butchered up. My car was used quite regularly by the previous two owners but had more necessary maintenance than preventative maintenance. I drive mine as much as I can. Around 58k miles on it now.

18. M. Brandon Motorcars

Sponsor

Sep 4, 2007
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Michael Foertsch
    It’s a combination of many factors. Low production compared to the cab, especially in the US. Owners tend to hold onto the coupes because of their usability. And, because of their greater usability over the cab (I.e. less of a “toy” car, especially in period), mileage on coupes tends to be higher than cab, so deterioration of the cars is a higher factor.

19. gsfent

gsfent Formula 3

Nov 16, 2009
    PB County, Florida
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    I would have to disagree. Remember, these are roughly 30 year old cars. 50 or 60k miles over 30 years is ultra low. Less than 2000 miles per year, or about 180 miles per month. Even at 100,000 miles, you are talking 3500 miles per year or less than 300 miles per month. Better to put some miles on the car (IMHO) than just letting it sit. Just sitting tends to let things dry out, fuel to gum up, etc.

My car has about 42k, I believe JLF's car recently purchased has similar mileage and the car for sale in Georgia by a car dealer has similar mileage. Not what I would call "high mileage". 12,000 to 15,000 miles PER YEAR is considered average for daily drivers.

Look at Porsches, and the mileage on our cars that is "average" would be considered ultra low miles.

Now if you are shopping for a collector car, that is a bit different. But then, that car will not be driven, or the premium you pay for ultra low miles (real) would dissipate quickly. Otherwise, our cars are fully depreciated, with the only costs being maintenance, repairs and upgrades. When you figure those kinds of costs, the cars are actually pretty cheap to own.

Regards,
    Jerry

Capri335 and Mark C Harvey like this.
  20. rob

rob F1 Rookie

May 22, 2002
    Vt
    My old 3.2 coupe is still living down in Georgia as far as I know.

21. Allen S.

Allen S. Formula Junior

Mar 16, 2001
    Morgan Hill, CA
    Full Name:
    Allen / AKA tCoupe
    I'll chime in. Averaged 8k miles/year the last 3 years in my tCoupe. Not a daily driver but certainly the weekend go-to. Now has 62k miles.
    20 years of ownership next year. Always exciting to drive.

JLF, Wade, gsfent and 2 others like this.
  22. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Congrats!!

I mean with 346 coupes in North America, that's a crazy rare number. About 1 per million people.

23. davem

davem F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2002
    Stepford, Connecticut
    Full Name:
    dave m
    TomB was a poster way back who made it his daily driver. Red 3.2 coupe. Had over 115k when he sold it recall.

24. WilyB

WilyB F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 23, 2007
    AZ
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    A 1990 model I ordered new from Pozzi (a.k.a Ferrari France) in 1989. :)

Edit: About Coupe, I have a question. How many Mondial have factory full leather headliner?

alexion, Wade, Allen S. and 1 other person like this.
  25. WilyB

WilyB F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 23, 2007
    AZ
    alexion, Mark C Harvey and 2cam like this.