When will the SF90 first published test be out? | Page 7 | FerrariChat

When will the SF90 first published test be out?

Discussion in 'SF90 Stradale' started by Igor Ound, Oct 7, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. red passion

red passion Formula Junior

Mar 4, 2012
    Hockenheim, Germany
    So it will be the end or the start of something new?

2. Dilusha

Dilusha Formula Junior

Dec 10, 2016
    Desperately waiting for the first test! Is there an embargo? :(

3. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    Seeing the term mild hybrid being posted makes me think of the possibility of being mildly pregnant. Embrace the suck.

day355 and Jo Sta7 like this.
  4. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    Weren't there loads of write ups a couple of months ago..........

5. 9nb

9nb Formula Junior

Sep 1, 2012
    Caeruleus11, uhn2000 and perrinnation like this.
  6. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    Top Gear review is out...Season 29, Ep 1.
    Spoiler...not complimentary.

7. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Since you've got the spoiler, care to synopsize what they didn't like? Thanks.
    T

8. George330

George330 Formula 3

Oct 19, 2009
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    George
    I watched the episode and I think it is all down to Chris Harris’ current mindset. Chris is going through a phase where he thinks cars are becoming too powerful, too fast and not involving enough. Many of us agree. Driving the SF90 he thought exactly those things: that the car is ballistic, handles perfectly but not very enjoyably and it is too much for the public road. He also said that the example he drove had some suspension setup issues and then was offered another car by Ferrari which was perfect.
    Finally they timed the car with Stig driving and it obliterated the previous TG record by over a second

None of this is news: Ferrari have produced a car that lapped the TG track 3 seconds faster than the LaF and has enough electronics to make my grandmother drive like Lewis Hamilton for the price of a tailor made 812GTS (almost).

Doesn’t make it a bad thing in any way. On the contrary it will be a runaway success. Of course it is a very different beast to an F40 or a Lancia Stratos (to name two of my favourite manuals) but how many people do you know who can drive one of those safely?

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat

9. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    George you make an excellent point. A lot of this is generational and from which you are coming. If we go back a generation, were there those who were critical of the 458 generation? I don’t remember, but I am sure there were. I do remember when the 430 Scuderia was first reviewed and many reviews complained it was not as “fun” as the Challenge Stradale.Today we think both cars are very “analog”.

The fact is the stars aligned from the period of about the mid 90s- the late 2010s. They are now moving a bit out of alignment, mostly due to tighter regulations. But also a power and tech war that will not abate. It will only get worse. As Harris himself says when he talks about EV’s “they {us} have no idea whats coming” in terms of power. I think we can of course try to evaluate the SF90 Stradale vs what came before, but I also think we should keep an open mind to the idea we will also be looking at this car relative to what comes next in the world. It may not be an F40, or not even a 458 Speciale, but it is something different and new and may very well be spectacular if we look at it for what it is, as opposed to what it isn’t.

And besides, Ferrari themselves said in one of their marketing days the SF90 would be more about performance and the “little brother” will be more about “fun”. And that comes next. So right now we have several very fun cars. I don’t think the SF90 is aimed at everyone.

In a way, we are lucky, despite greater regulations and restrictions, we have some very clever people working out how to make engaging sports cars. The last time the sports cars were pretty awful.

I’d like to see Harris spend a week with a SF90 Stradale. Have fun on back roads, drive around, maybe do a cars and coffee one morning, however he might use it.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat

F140C, of2worlds and sampelligrino like this.
  10. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    Amazon has the episode available to watch.
    He had fun it seemed and then he summed by not liking it as the wrong direction for ferrari.
    kinda like 765lt mixed reviews but didn’t stop many of us from acquiring.

tomc, Caeruleus11 and Thecadster like this.
  11. Thecadster

Thecadster F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 27, 2017
    True. Not every car needs to be all things to all people. To me, the quirkier and more eccentric the better. That is why I think the 765LT will end up being my favorite car ever. That car is wacky.

Jo Sta7 and dustman like this.
  12. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    If Ron Dennis heard you! :)

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  13. TopspeedPT

TopspeedPT Formula Junior

Jul 6, 2012
    Portugal
  14. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    QR tested the car.

0-100 kmh 2.2 seconds
    0-200 kmh 6.3 seconds
    0-300 kmh 16.4 seconds.

9.3 second 1/4 mile at 242.5 kmh.

YIKES!

15. JJ77

JJ77 Formula Junior

Oct 3, 2020
    Wow! That 0-200 km/h time is standout. Bugatti Chiron is 6.5 secs and think McLaren P1 is 6.8 secs.

16. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Thecadster and jpalmito like this.
  17. BJK

BJK F1 Rookie

Jul 18, 2014
    CT
    #167 BJK, May 28, 2021
    Last edited: May 28, 2021

0 - 62 mph 2.2 seconds
    0-124 mph 6.3 seconds
    0-186 mph 16.4 seconds.

9.3 second 1/4 mile at 150.7 mph

18. Napoli

Napoli Formula Junior

Nov 18, 2017
    Full Name:
    NOYB, Ray!
    Great thread, Igor (and participants)!

So much sussing out of the SF90 (and other things) has occured in here, I’m ‘bout ready to drop a deposit on a car in which I had no previous interest. :eek:

tomc and Caeruleus11 like this.
  19. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    I feel nearly compelled as well, but here’s what would hold me back.

1. I want to drive one after I receive my new TTS to see how much more capable it is in the real world. It’s undoubtedly quicker but from 0-60 they should be quite close.

2. I really, really don’t like the styling of the rear and that stupid shark fin on the roof. For $700k (price as tested my MT) I have to like the way a car looks.

Napoli likes this.
  20. crinoid

crinoid F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 2, 2005
    Full Name:
    LaCrinoid
    Batteries and their accoutrement are HEAVY.

21. BJK

BJK F1 Rookie

Jul 18, 2014
    CT
  22. jpalmito

jpalmito F1 Veteran

Jun 5, 2009
    Le caylar (France)
    Full Name:
    mathieu Jeantet
    Day355 was right from the beginning when he said the car weighs 1886 kgs with fluids.
    This combination of crazy weight and outrageous speed will consume astronomical amounts of tires, pads and brake discs!

23. BJK

BJK F1 Rookie

Jul 18, 2014
    CT
    4,158 lbs! :eek: That's just a tad more than stated in MotorTrend article. :confused: o_O (not sure this is correct either ;))