Wheels Again | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Wheels Again

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by Mondial 1985, May 29, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. hank sound

hank sound F1 Veteran

Jan 31, 2004
    Burbank, CA
    Full Name:
    Hank Garfield
    #26 hank sound, Jun 9, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Hey gang,

We banter about, throwing out our perceptions of this tire or that. Uh well, if you're a person who is talking "track", may I please bow out, citing lack of knowledge or experience. Tires for the track? Check with Big Tex (Bubba) or the many other indoctrinated folks. OK, I admit (with big grin) - - I did drag race my hot 48 Ford Flattie, down Van Nuys Blvd. back in the 50s (high school). :):):):)

Oh yeah, right - - tires ........... What I was attempting to throw out there, was the fact that many tire companies have different measurement readings, even though the "size" numbers on the tire are the same.

Therefore, look at all the specs related to your chosen tire size, especially if your looking for a "look". I have attached an early pic of an OEM sized, rear tire on Rachel, my Mondial t. It's a Goodyear F1 GS-D3, 225/55ZR/16". I couldn't find any "like sized, high performance ZR/Summer tire" that had anywhere near the "beefiness/beauty" that the F1 GS-D3 had. While folks were spending double the dollars, for tires (that looked anemic) made by that funny looking, white taped bubble looking guy who loves sourdough bread and French brie :):) Oh well.

Times change - - and that affects all of us - and the availability of products we wish were still - - available !!!!! When I have to replace the GS-D3s that are currently on my 17" Speedline Mistrals, that tire will no longer be out there. Therefore, I'll have to look for something new - (1) a new look that's enticing. (2) the specs. (3) the reviews. I've got my eyes on a few :):)

Do the homework ------- it's actually fun!! :)

Cheers, Hank
    Image Unavailable, Please Login