Wheels AGAIN!! | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Wheels AGAIN!!

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by 330Guy, Jul 17, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 330Guy

330Guy Karting

Jan 9, 2009
    Union City, CA.
    Full Name:
    Dana Edward Layton
    I picked up a set of TR 16" fronts for the mere ransom of five third world virgins. Had purchased a set of aftermarket 17" but ditched the order and like many of you; preferred the original period five spoke wheel. It will wind up costing as much as new TRX's this time. Next time I'll sail for a grand or thereabouts. Hope they continue to make 16 inchers for some time to come or else my choice will have been the wrong one. From my perspective pricing TRX's in the $700 range pushes away otherwise willing purchasers. I waited six months for the TRX's to be available and finally ran out of patience.

Yeah, its like that. D X 3 (driving daily, Dana)

2. Schumi

Schumi Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 5, 2002
    Missouri
    Full Name:
    Daren
    I too pondered the advantages/disadvantages of purchasing the 16" wheels, but in the end decided to keep my car original and buy the OEM Michelin TRXs from Longstone. To me the tread pattern, the size, the deep dish of the original wheel all contribute to the look of the car. Modern tires on this car just don't seem to look "right." While I would love to spend less for tires, originality and appearance won.

3. 330Guy

330Guy Karting

Jan 9, 2009
    Union City, CA.
    Full Name:
    Dana Edward Layton
    I fully appreciate how many 400 owners prefer to preserve the appearance of their beloved Fcars. Not having dished wheels on my 412 allows me to switch from the metric wheels of approximately 16.38 inches to the 16 inch TestaRossa with no significant change. I have a much greater selection of tires from which to choose and can vary the performance characteristics by the selection made. I would have to believe substantial improvements have been achieved in rubber compounds, tread designs and corresponding road handling since the TRX's were created. Whether one chooses to embrace change or remain strictly purist is certainly an individual choice. I can honestly say there isn't a "right or wrong" in this effort. Just valid options for those whom choose what is best for their personal liking or interests.

4. Longstone Tyres

Longstone Tyres Formula 3
    Sponsor

Feb 2, 2006
    Full Name:
    Dougal
    I would sugest there have been changes in compounds over the years and Michelin Classic Tyres have had to follow these changes. we are no longetr allowed to use some of the chemicals that were used in the 80's.

the Michelin TRX are more than just a 16.3" rim. if you follow this link it explains the advantages of the TRX rim and tyre combination, with a shallower different angled flange and a less complicated flex in the side wall.
    Michelin TRX Tyres

When you change to different wheels you have a wider choice of tyres. Among that choice you will find that Michelin is often top dollar. What you are paying for is the fact that Michelin make excellent tyres.

5. wrxmike

wrxmike Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Mar 20, 2004
    Full Name:
    Mike
    #30 wrxmike, Jun 12, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 12, 2014
  6. It's Ross

It's Ross Formula 3

Jul 30, 2007
    Barrington, Ill. USA
    Full Name:
    Ross
    I wonder if there is enough meat on the TRX wheels to have the seat re-machined to the traditional (16")J bead?
    This would be a great solution to finally rid ourselves of those ever so dearly priced old fashioned Mickeys and keep the correct look.
    Any experts out there that care to comment?

7. Ashman

Ashman Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2002
    MA
    Full Name:
    John
    It isn't just the bead style that you have to worry about. Don't forget that the wheel diameter itself is 415 mm, not an inch size.

8. bjwhite

bjwhite F1 Rookie

Mar 17, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Brian White
    Oh John come on. We can just grind that down to 16 inches....

9. blkprlz

blkprlz Formula 3

Mar 24, 2007
    Tampa bay
    Full Name:
    Bruce
    A X-section detail on the TRX rims would be very handy!!

10. Ashman

Ashman Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2002
    MA
    Full Name:
    John
    It might be cheaper to melt down the TRX wheels and then recast the metal into inch size wheels. That's the best way to retain the "original" look wheels. :D

Or you could buy 328 (non ABS) wheels and be done with it.

11. wrxmike

wrxmike Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Mar 20, 2004
    Full Name:
    Mike

If you have a 412, you can go 100% authentic and get one of the remaining sets of 16" "412 style" wheels available from Ferrari, (they where fitted to the later 412's and have the correct look and offset, wheel is part number #125620, size 7.5"J x 16".)

M

12. bjwhite

bjwhite F1 Rookie

Mar 17, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Brian White
    Heh, problem is all 412 wheels are hideously ugly. I'd rather have TRX and the 400i wheels just for the look alone!

13. bundas

bundas F1 Veteran
    Owner

Dec 31, 2005
    lexington ky usa
    Full Name:
    mitchell barnes
    I need a set, anyone?

14. blkprlz

blkprlz Formula 3

Mar 24, 2007
    Tampa bay
    Full Name:
    Bruce
    +1 on that!

15. bundas

bundas F1 Veteran
    Owner

Dec 31, 2005
    lexington ky usa
    Full Name:
    mitchell barnes
    will 328 wheels fit without spacer and stud mods.?

16. galbert

galbert Formula Junior

Mar 14, 2012
    sud ouest france
    Full Name:
    Galbert Christopher
    tu cherche des roues !
    j'ai 4 roues de Ferrari 400

17. bundas

bundas F1 Veteran
    Owner

Dec 31, 2005
    lexington ky usa
    Full Name:
    mitchell barnes
    I have a set of 400 wheels. I cannot find the speed rated tires I need in that size

18. bjwhite

bjwhite F1 Rookie

Mar 17, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Brian White
  19. bjwhite

bjwhite F1 Rookie

Mar 17, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Brian White
    If you're talking about the 15" 400 wheels Mitch, then you can look at two options here:

Ferrari 400 | Longstone Tyres

But not only that but the TRXs are VR rated as well. So I'm not really sure what target you're trying to hit here, but I hope this helps.

20. bundas

bundas F1 Veteran
    Owner

Dec 31, 2005
    lexington ky usa
    Full Name:
    mitchell barnes
    concerned about all season traction.