Wheel Refinishing 400i Series I | FerrariChat

Wheel Refinishing 400i Series I

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by DaveO_48, Jan 21, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. DaveO_48

DaveO_48 Karting

Jul 29, 2013
    Henderson, Nv
    Full Name:
    David Odland
    The few members that have had conversations with me will realize I have had rather startling changes in my life.
    Be that as it may, My 400A and I continue on together. I have just purchased the tires I promised my dear friend Mitchell that I would put on her before driving at speed. Now I want to refinish the wheels to a correct appearing color. I realize the original process is either no longer available,or difficult to find a supplier.
    In that spirit,I am asking the members if anyone knows a process that can be done to return my 5 wheels to a near new appearance. If so, is someone in my area, Las Vegas, offering this service. I have the wheels off the car and I dismounted the old tires. "Dry rot" is the only way they can be described. Lots of tread, very even wear.Just used up sitting still. What a shame.
    Anyone that has knowledge of a process that gives a good representation of the original, please inform me where I can locate this service. I was lead to believe that powder coating might be an avenue to explore. I did find out that the preparation is critical for the process. I will continue my search.
    I believe the wheels are all the same, front and rear but for now I did mark them with the location they were removed from. Thank you .
    Sally June Odland

2. samsaprunoff

samsaprunoff F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2004
    Edmonton, AB Canada
    Full Name:
    Sam Saprunoff
    Good day,

I found this link that detailed the process that this firm does to repaint rims.

https://stevekouracos.com/restoration/tips-and-tricks/aluminum-magnesium-wheel-restoration/

Overall I thought the info was quite comprehensive and quite helpful... although I have yet to try it myself.

Also, I would not powder coat the rims unless you found an expert how can advise you accordingly. Power coating is fine for steel rims, etc but for our wheels their material composition (magnesium and/or a magnesium alloy) may have issues given the high temps needed for powder coating. I will defer to the powder coating experts for their thoughts and/or insight, as you certainly would not want to experiment with your rims given the cost to replace them let alone the potential safety implications.

Cheers,

Sam