Wheel Paint Suggestions? | FerrariChat

Wheel Paint Suggestions?

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by Rapalyea, Apr 20, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Rapalyea

Rapalyea Formula 3

Jun 18, 2013
    Georgia Mountains US
    Full Name:
    David Rapalyea alias
    I have a few places on my wheels where the silver has separated from the underlying primer. I could just get them all repainted but its not all that bad. I did a search on 'wheel paint' with no hits.

Anyone have any ideas?

2. moysiuan

moysiuan F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2005
    Canada
    #2 moysiuan, Apr 21, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I have found a perfect match for my 88 Mondial 3.2 cab wheels with Wurth wheel paint. Mail ordered from my Saab parts supplier Eeuroparts. Picture attatched, one which has the product code. Just need to shake thoroughly, can't tell from stock colour. I had the same issue, some flaked off area (watch those pressure washers!), and some nicks, but nothing warranting a full refinishing. Also the same as for Saab wheels. Probably many euro cars used this. They also have a Satin black trim paint, used to respray the wheel well liners, looks same as the tubular frame paint, etc.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

3. Faber

Faber Formula Junior

May 5, 2011
    TX Hill Country
    Full Name:
    Tom G.
    Hi & Thanks - Can you upload clearer pics?

4. Rapalyea

Rapalyea Formula 3

Jun 18, 2013
    Georgia Mountains US
    Full Name:
    David Rapalyea alias
    MOY

Kudus for the help. My buddy and I both think the stock Ferrari Wheels are less then the best esthetic, and so I am considering after market. In the mean time it is good to have the alternate.

And yes, the photos do not have resolution for the part numbers. Even without the part number the simple name might be enough. Thanks again for the help....

Rapalyea

5. Faber

Faber Formula Junior

May 5, 2011
    TX Hill Country
    Full Name:
    Tom G.
  6. moysiuan

moysiuan F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2005
    Canada
    Yes, sorry about the picture quality, the link to eeuroparts is the correct product, Silver Wheel Paint. The code on the can back is Art. #1892181

Its an acrylic lacquer, dries quick and is a very durable paint.

The flexi trim black satin paint is Art. #089099000-u.

7. Mondial 1985

Mondial 1985 Formula Junior

Jun 13, 2012
    Greenville, SC
    Full Name:
    Mark Alan Day
    Can this actually be done? I mean, can I paint my wheels with rattle can paint if I prepare the wheels, prime 'em with a compatible primer, and use a good automotive paint?

8. moysiuan

moysiuan F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2005
    Canada
    Very lightly wet sand, if old paint more or less intact no need to prime, rattle can the wheel paint, done. I think problems come from taking the wheel down to bare metal,with primer adhesion issues on some types of alloys and such.

9. fgcfire8

fgcfire8 Formula Junior

Jan 19, 2008
    Montpelier Va
    Full Name:
    Frank Castelvecchi
    Definetly with Ferrari alloy wheels if taken to bare metal then regular aluminum wheel primer does not stay on long it has to be specially treated. I learned this the hard way.

10. ronfrohock

ronfrohock F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 16, 2004
    MA
    Full Name:
    Ron Frohock
    You need to use an etching primer then wet sand and then paint if you bring it down to the base alloy. If you just lightly wet sand, then you can use the wurth in a can.

11. Faber

Faber Formula Junior

May 5, 2011
    TX Hill Country
    Full Name:
    Tom G.
    Hi- regarding this: "Very lightly wet sand," Assuming paint is intact w/ a few edge chips ala above what grit sandpaper? Thanks,

12. moysiuan

moysiuan F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2005
    Canada
    1000 grit wet sanding scuffs the old paint for adhesion, while reducing the chance of accidental sand through to bare metal. You could use a coarser grit and make the job go a bit faster, but you would want to finish with 1000 anyway. Even no sanding on a thoroughly clean surface with the Wurth paint would probably work, it's a good old fashioned high solvent paint. Might use some auto body spot putty on a deeper chip or flaw.

13. Faber

Faber Formula Junior

May 5, 2011
    TX Hill Country
    Full Name:
    Tom G.
    Thanks very much!

14. Rapalyea

Rapalyea Formula 3

Jun 18, 2013
    Georgia Mountains US
    Full Name:
    David Rapalyea alias
    I bought a can of

Western
    Painted Parts Supply
    Argento Metallic
    Industrial Finishes

Found it, oddly, on Amazon. My wheels have flaked badly in the last two years and I considered this as a temporary alternative. The only prep I did was brake cleaner solvent. Did not even feather out the chip edges. The results are good enough that I wish I HAD done more prep.

Incidentally. I did this temp job while wheels were still on car. TIP. Buy a pack of playing cards, stick them one by one between the rims and tires. Tape over the horse insert. And more or less spray away. ONE LIGHT COAT! Then perhpas several others. The initial layer does not match the original paint till it dries.

So I over did it. Still streetable. Still should be repainted or new 17 inch wheels. But no one but me ever notices.