Wheel color code | FerrariChat

Wheel color code

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by Theruse, Jan 28, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Theruse

Theruse Karting

Jan 17, 2014
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Prescott Russo
    I am having my wheels redone on my 400. I told the shop I want the same color wheels as my 328, but they need a color code. Searching the threads, I saw "Mercedes silver" as a match. But that's not a color code. Is there a color code or close paint match I can give them.

2. raemin

raemin Formula 3

Jan 16, 2007
    Lyon (FR)
    Full Name:
    R. Emin
    Many discussion on the issue... General consensus is Glasurit FER101/C, argento metallizzato with no clear coat.To be honest, some of our cars left the factory with custom wheel colours, so departing from FER101 is acceptable.

As far as rims are concerned, my spray gun is ready to shoot whenever I see a nick on the rims. As I cannot ask the body-shop to mix 5cc of paint to fix a small dent, I prefer to rely on an easy to source generic paint (plus clear coat). Also FER101/C is a "body colour", so not as hard as an epoxy paint commonly used for rims. Mercedes rim colour is not such a bad idea after-all...

Your bodyshop should be aware that these are magnesium wheels, so if he gets to the bare-metal, he will have to use a dedicated primer.

3. Theruse

Theruse Karting

Jan 17, 2014
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Prescott Russo
    That's a good start. I will mention it to the shop. While they did a great job on my other wheels, I am a little surprised that on their own, they can't identify the color similar to my 328 wheels. On your second comment, I thought the wheels were only 30% magnesium and 70% aluminum.

4. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    #4 Steve Magnusson, Jan 30, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2021
    I believe that's true (Ferrari calls them "Light Alloy" not "Magnesium Alloy"), but it still requires special priming treatment due to the high Magnesium content.

I actually had my TR wheels (which are not "Light Alloy") painted the typical MB silver color which is considerably brighter than the FER101/C (which is more dull grey-ish silver IMO).

5. Theruse

Theruse Karting

Jan 17, 2014
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Prescott Russo
    I agree with you on a slightly brighter color as MB Silver. Do you recall if there was a color code for the MB Silver. I will speak to the shop tomorrow and he claimed there are so many MB Silvers. Part of the problem I am having with them is that due to their Covid policy I can't go to the shop directly. I sent pictures of the wheels on which they gave me an estimate. I think I will just insist I have to view the color choices with them first if I can't get a color code.

6. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    #6 Steve Magnusson, Jan 31, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2021
    I'm 95% sure there are paint labels on my wheel ODs under the tires with the MB color information (or at least Keystone's color information) -- but I didn't write it down before I put the tires on. I checked my Keystone Automotive Industries, Inc. receipt, and the color information is not specifically listed, but the numbers "18-86-999" and "I10-01-A" appear if those might mean something color-wise (the timeframe was 2003).