Wheel balancing | FerrariChat

Wheel balancing

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by Al Campbell, Jul 18, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Al Campbell

Al Campbell Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 22, 2013
    Australia
    What type of wheel balancing weights have people been using? What is best for the standard 15inch Ferrari wheel?

I'm about to get my new XWX tyres fitted & the 3 sets of wheels I have had various methods used for attaching the weights.
    Some are balanced on the rear rim & inside using stick-on weights.
    Some have rim weights on the inside rim & ugly stick-on ones on the outside rim.

While researching this online I have come across Dyna Beads -
    Dynabeads Tyre Balancers. The dynamic way to balance your tyres.
    Has anyone had any experience with these (good or bad)?
    The write up on these look good & it's a way of getting a proper balance without weighting the outside rim. I'm thinking of giving them a go.

Cheers Al

2. GT Jones

GT Jones Formula Junior

Oct 15, 2011
    Lincoln, MA
    Full Name:
    Christian J
    I haven't seen those before. You may have shops that use a hunter force balancer and look for the low profile stick on weights. There's enough of a lip on the 15's that they should be able to use stick ons inside the wheel.

3. Schumi

Schumi Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 5, 2002
    Missouri
    Full Name:
    Daren
    That is exactly what I had done. Works well and you can't see the weights.

4. aidanparte

aidanparte Formula 3

Jul 18, 2004
    Mine are on the inside.

5. Al Campbell

Al Campbell Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 22, 2013
    Australia
    #5 Al Campbell, Jul 19, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Thanks Guys.

The new tyres are fitted & balanced. The balance weights are fitted in the same spot the old ones were for this set of rims.

Cheers Al
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

6. blkprlz

blkprlz Formula 3

Mar 24, 2007
    Tampa bay
    Full Name:
    Bruce
    For those who don't have them, here's a place to grab 'em!

The Ferrari 400 Register

Ferrari wasn't very specific on wheel balancing on the 365 but made improvements when the 400's were built, refer to the following page:

400gt: Page 95
    400i Series 1: Page 95
    400i Series 2: Page 87
    412: Page 90

It describes that the wheels should be both statically (inside of rim) & dynamically (ouside of rim) balanced with the use of low profile stick-on weights.

Now that's a new location to balance the starfish wheels that I've never seen before…interesting!

Finally, I think the balancing beads makes a lot of sense & avoids the use & unsightliness of the stick-ons. However, they don't mention the effectiveness of them at terminal speed, only up to 75 mph. It definitely warrants a try :D