What's your opinion on this 400i? | FerrariChat

What's your opinion on this 400i?

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by 180 Out, Jan 23, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 180 Out

180 Out Formula 3

Jan 4, 2012
    San Leandro, CA
    Full Name:
    Bill Henley
    #1 180 Out, Jan 23, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I have a line on a 1984 400i 5-spd for $34,000. There are two unusual angles to this deal.

The first has to do with California Smog Check. The car has a B.A.R. sticker, and as the "RUNBLU" license plate in the final photo below suggests, the car has carried a regular unrestricted California passenger car registration in the past. However, the car currently has California "Historic Vehicle" plates. This kind of registration costs very little to transfer into, and the annual registration fee is nominal, as in just a few dollars per year. An even bigger upside is that the car is exempt from the biannual Smog Check requirement. The big downside to the Historic Vehicle plate is that the car's use is limited to traveling to car shows and club events, and maybe some maintenance miles. (How much use is allowed under the latter -- you know, like an "Italian tuneup" once a week -- is a gray area.)

My intuition is that Historic Vehicle plates are a recipe for disaster: that in a regularly driven car it's just a matter of time before some wise guy lawman decides to swoop in and throw the book at your car, based on theories of intentional evasion of full-price registration fees and Smog Check regulations. The possibilities include impoundment and even an order to sell the car out of the state. So my first question in the Smog Check category is to ask if anyone has any thoughts or experience or recommendations regarding running a regularly driven car with Historic Vehicle plates.

Part two of my Smog Check question is that the car currently has the cats removed, although the take-offs would come with the car. The owner's "agent," so to speak, is a local Ferrari mechanic who says the car will pass Smog Check without the cats. He says you'd just lean it out and it would pass. He also says that the car has an Air Injection Reaction system with the tubes routed directly to the heads, rather than to the exhaust header tubes. The smog pump is a remote electric powered unit, sourced from Ford. You flip a switch and it starts pumping air into the exhaust port. This alone, he says, is sufficient to pass Smog Check. Does anyone have any thoughts regarding the likelihood of passing Smog Check without catalytic convertors, or regarding the difficulties in changing a Historic Vehicle registration back into an unrestricted registration?

The second unusual angle with this car has to do with the logistics of the proposed transaction. The Ferrari mechanic says that the owner will only sell the car to him. To close the deal, I will deliver a cashier's check made out to the mechanic, in the amount of $34,000. He will cash the check then buy the car from the owner and tow it home for delivery to me, including with all the takeoff parts. I will not be allowed to see the car prior to purchase. Is this kind of arrangement unusual? As I write this out I realize how risky it sounds. I mean, the guy could cash my check and I never hear from him again, and the next time I go by his shop it's closed and empty. On the plus side, the mechanic appears to have a going business and a long history of high end projects and satisfied customers. On the other hand, the guy could be facing such big financial problems that his resolve has weakened to the point that he might do something desperate. Again, I ask for the sharing of any thoughts.

Here are some pix of the car, taken at the 2006 Beverly Hills Concours on Rodeo Drive:
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. simon klein

simon klein Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 25, 2009
    North Qld
    Full Name:
    simon klein
    Have you got your Nike's on???
    Too dodgy a deal for a normal thinking person,IMO.

3. ArtS

ArtS F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Central NJ
    Something smells really bad - do not buy without an independant PPI and your own inspection. There was just a thread on Ferrarichat regarding someone losing $30k in a similar yet more straightforward deal. You also may want to search the mechanics name both here and on google to see what comes up.

The right car will come along, have faith!

Art S.

4. Ashman

Ashman Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2002
    MA
    Full Name:
    John
    No comments on the California issues but the buy/sell logistics are a HUGE red flag and I would not ever consider a transaction where the money, clean title, keys and the car all did not change hands simultaneously.

Buy a car sight unseen? Pictures can hide or obscure a ton of issues that you would see in person. Maybe for some of the risk takers here but not me. I work too hard for my money to risk that.

As for the seller selling the car to the dealer and then the dealer selling it to you, that is not such a problem. The dealer presumably is getting a commission on the deal and part of the deal is that he insulates the seller from any problems that you may have with the sale afterward. Any problems with the car or its representation, you would have recourse only to the dealer.

I did that a year or so ago in selling a vintage race car to a buyer in Switzerland. The transaction for me was between me and the dealer. I did not have to worry about funds from Switzerland and the dealer took care of getting the car to the shipping port at the buyer's expense. I felt better because I knew that I would be insulated from problems if the car arrived damaged or the buyer fired it up and blew up the engine right away.

Don't let the Ferrari "Gotta have it now Red Mist" get in your eyes and prevent you from seeing the red flags about the transaction that have been proposed.

5. open roads

open roads F1 Rookie

Jan 28, 2007
    Sarasota, Fl.
    Full Name:
    Stan
    Life is too good to be doing dumb deals. Which this one appears to be. Just too many bad feelings.

I'd like to share some advice. One thing I've learned in my short (10 yrs w Ferraris) time around here.
    There will be another one.

The way I would deal with this particular one if I wanted to proceed. I would insist upon talking to the seller directly. Layers of BS will be parted and passed at that point. Then you stand a chance.

Secondly, I would never advise anyone to do anything other than obey the law. The historic plates are great for those individuals. It is not intended for a DD.

The anonymity stuff is pure BS. It's not like it is owned by Madona. It's intended to defraud you in most instances IMO.

Best of luck and we'll be here for you.

6. full_garage

full_garage Formula 3
    Owner

Feb 15, 2010
    Sarasota Florida
    Full Name:
    Jay
    Well gosh that's an awfully nice looking car and at $34K for a 5 speed- these kinds of deals that we turn our noses up at now will prove to be the LASt classic Ferrari bargains....

But yeah- any deal that sounds dodgy usually turns out to be a painful lesson.

There are autos around but here in the states a really good 5 speed is still a rare find... In my 3-year research only TWO have popped up- 5 in total but three were restoration candidates.

If the deal is real there's got to be a way to get it done with security.

7. 180 Out

180 Out Formula 3

Jan 4, 2012
    San Leandro, CA
    Full Name:
    Bill Henley
    Following ArtS's advice, I searched FC and I Googled the agent's name and everything you will find indicates the most impeccable credentials. I want to clear that point up right away. In my original post I wrote

These words were intended to reflect my anxious imaginings, and were not based on any actual information about the agent. I just want that to be real clear, in case anyone might guess who I'm talking about, that what I found in this forum and on the web indicates a very first rate guy.

8. Ashman

Ashman Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2002
    MA
    Full Name:
    John
    If that is the case then you can work with him to structure the deal in a way that makes sense for you as a buyer.

The car looks very nice (gorgeous, actually) in the pix but, as with any car more than 25 years old, inspecting it in person (or having an expert do that) plus understanding about the maintenance history of the car is crucial.

Don't forget that those pictures are almost six years old now! What has the car been doing since then?

Good luck.

9. samsaprunoff

samsaprunoff F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2004
    Edmonton, AB Canada
    Full Name:
    Sam Saprunoff
    Good day Bill,

Personally, I feel that regardless of the "brokers" credentials the business logic that he is proposing is simply non standard and places tremendous risk upon yourself. for example, what happens if the fellow becomes incapacitated (i.e. accident, illness, etc) before making delivery of the car? ... let alone any nefarious activity on their part. In either case you would then have to seek legal means to recover your $$$$. Normally I would expect the "broker" to ask for a reasonable deposit upfront and have you sign some sort of agreement that details the remainder of the payment (i.e. upon delivery). If the Broker is concerned about the final payment (i.e. they may not have sufficient funds to cover the full transaction), then they may ask for the payment to be placed in trust (i.e. lawyer) and structure an agreement that dictates the trust conditions.

As others have mentioned, what happens in the event that the car is not as described? What happens if the car is damaged during transport... who is carrying the insurance on the car and how do you get "paid" out? There is no mention of "when" the car is to be delivered ... is it within a few days, week, month? What if there is a lien on the car? These are particulars that are important to know before any $$$ are released. There are far too many variables here and indeed some of these have low probabilities of occurring, but the dollars are too great to ignore in my opinion.

If you do wish to move forward on this car, then I would enlist the services of a lawyer to have him (or her) draft a legal document that details the conditions of the sale before any monies or portions thereof are released. A few dollars in advance for some legal assistance can save you a tremendous amount of effort and $$$ should something go awry.

Cheers,

Sam

10. It's Ross

It's Ross Formula 3

Jul 30, 2007
    Barrington, Ill. USA
    Full Name:
    Ross
    #10 It's Ross, Jan 24, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2012
    I can smell this deal all the way in Chicago.
    Personally, I have never discriminated against any buyer that had cash in hand. I suspect if you do some homework you'll find the same by contacting the owner. That is if it does exist and is for sale.
    Pictures off the internet too I'll bet. They are very familiar.
    Everybody here will tell you these cars are a tough sell, why would someone want to deliberately install such a middleman?
    Hand $34k, or anything, to that mechanic and you are likely to regret it.

11. Flinch

Flinch Formula Junior

Nov 15, 2009
    Holland and Sweden
    Full Name:
    Peter El Cheapo
    Ask your lawyer to buy it for you :D

12. 180 Out

180 Out Formula 3

Jan 4, 2012
    San Leandro, CA
    Full Name:
    Bill Henley
    I guess since I *am* my lawyer, that's what will happen.

Thanks to the advice in this thread, I have made a request for an inspection of the car, and that the money, the car, and the title must all be exchanged simultaneously. The agent is going to ask the seller if this is acceptable and get back to me. If he says no, then I forget about this deal. The agent presents as very trustworthy in my opinion, but I would not agree to proceeding as initially proposed.

13. bundas

bundas F1 Veteran
    Owner

Dec 31, 2005
    lexington ky usa
    Full Name:
    mitchell barnes
    I got nicked for 18G working thru a reliable broker. Seller had used him multiple times. He turned crook all at once. FBI got him but i lost. By the plate can you run down the owner?

14. Flinch

Flinch Formula Junior

Nov 15, 2009
    Holland and Sweden
    Full Name:
    Peter El Cheapo

Exactly! Try to track down the owner and do a deal with him. Even if this mediator turns out to be not a crook, he will try to make a few grand on this deal. In both cases you will lose money. The (classic) Ferrari community is very small, especially in Cali, so it can not be hard to track down the owner and ask him if the car is really for sale...

If this car is for sale it will be worth the trouble to do some homework. It could be the bargain of the year!