Whats your domestic desire | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Whats your domestic desire

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by Valenzo, Aug 1, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. PV Dirk

PV Dirk F1 Veteran

Jul 26, 2009
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    #26 PV Dirk, Aug 2, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I keep fighting with my 2000 Wrangler Sport. It was boiling. A radiator cap and fan clutch fixed that, but at 110 degrees in commute traffic it still threw a warning light and buzzer that it was overheating. Only 65K miles. I guess a design from the 40's with an engine from the 50's to 60's may not be up to 110 degrees with the a/c on. With the a/c off, never a problem.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Rapalyea

Rapalyea Formula 3

Jun 18, 2013
    Georgia Mountains US
    Full Name:
    David Rapalyea alias
    #27 Rapalyea, Aug 3, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2013
    Google Image Result for http://www.exchange3d.com/images/uploads/aff1479/Citroen%202cv%20Charleston%20pix/2cv_01off.jpg

http://www.citroenimportservices.com/2012/05/original-citroen-2cv-charleston-for-sale/

PS: Back long ago I was touring France and ran across one of these in calvanized sheet metal. I think I still have a photo someplace. I also ran across a right hand drive Corvair Coupe in Cyprus.

But As For Domestic? Yeah, I like the 1960 Vette. My brother-in-law helped restore one and it looks just fabulous. Further, they can be brought up to modernish standards with disk brakes, decent steering, and suspension mods. And of course a small block Chevy is pretty much a small block Chevy so you could be like a kid in the candy store. I have actually seen one such device. I admit it. I did drool. I am a closet retro-mod sort of guy. A past president of the Atlanta Hot Rod club did some chrome work for me, and he had a 1956 Mercury in Black and Yellow. Looked entirely stock. But had power windows, A/C and all the other stuff you can do. In those colors it was a knock out. He said it was probably worth $20k, but I think more like $30k.

3. ukshooter

ukshooter Rookie

Jul 5, 2011
    Crowthorne, UK
    Full Name:
    Ian Morgan
    Not domestic as I am in the UK, but I am looking to buy a 61 Corvette. I would love a 61 E-Type but they are about double the Corvette price when comparing similar condition vehicles.

4. gsfent

gsfent Formula 3

Nov 16, 2009
    PB County, Florida
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    Nice beach car.

I assume you have done the usual, no blockage in the rad, no debris, etc.

Not enough cooling capacity. If only in stop and go, not enough fan (or more correctly, not enough air is getting across the rad, so also check to see how the air is routed). Maybe add an electric helper fan or change to a fan with more blades to move more air.

If highway, then you don't have enough cooling capacity. Either bigger rad or maybe a bigger water pump. Doubtful you are pushing coolant too fast for rad to work properly.

Regards,
    Jerry

5. Bad Dogg

Bad Dogg Formula Junior

Sep 29, 2006
    Avon, CT
    Full Name:
    Howard
    Just was at Vettes over the rockies, and I must say that the C1 models can be absolutely stunning. However, I grew up with the C2 and might have to go after a sting ray one day..

I also saw (and sat in) the new C7 and I must say they look stunning and are probably the best bang for the buck ever!

6. godabitibi

godabitibi F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 11, 2012
    Papineauville, Quebec
    Full Name:
    Claude Laforest
    #31 godabitibi, Aug 5, 2013
  7. Bell Bloke

Bell Bloke Formula 3

Dec 6, 2012
    UK
    #32 Bell Bloke, Aug 7, 2013
    I do love that green classic Mustang....
    However I am in the UK and so my domestic desire would be a Lotus Esprit S1
    With.... the full tartan interior....
    Failing that I do like a bit of Esprit Essex or and early Turbo but as long as it comes with that girl......
    The first pic is actually the concept car as driven by the late great Colin Chapman, my hero..
    Actually I covett this car no matter what country I'm in...

8. Burch1

Burch1 Formula 3

May 26, 2012
    Singapore/Carmel, IN
    Full Name:
    Greg
    Reminds me of the top gear episode where they drive the Maurader over cars & stuff!

9. Valenzo

Valenzo F1 Veteran

Dec 4, 2010
    IL & NC
    Full Name:
    Ted
    #34 Valenzo, Aug 7, 2013
  10. Valenzo

Valenzo F1 Veteran

Dec 4, 2010
    IL & NC
    Full Name:
    Ted
    #35 Valenzo, Aug 7, 2013
    Here's my domestic desire...

I went to visit her yesterday... Sad and exciting all at once. It's a strange thing, it sat on my 4 post lift for years until I finally said, the hell with it, I'm never going to get around to restore it so I sent it over to a local Hot Rod Shop to do the work.. A year later, here it is :(. Even though. I paid them 10,000 up front. Grrrr.

11. Valenzo

Valenzo F1 Veteran

Dec 4, 2010
    IL & NC
    Full Name:
    Ted
    #36 Valenzo, Aug 7, 2013
    It's been out of sight for so long that my mind is wandering over to this. For what I have in this truck, I could have bought this. ::sigh::

But of course I will finish it, it'll be nearly 40k when done and it will become a shop truck. Then on to this...

12. hank sound

hank sound F1 Veteran

Jan 31, 2004
    Burbank, CA
    Full Name:
    Hank Garfield
    #37 hank sound, Aug 7, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2013
    Hi Ted, which one are you talking about, (unless you identified in a previous post). I see the "A" and the 55 or 56 T Bird - also the frame in the foreground and something (ElCamino??) behind it. Also, what appears to be a 42" wide screen TV :):)

Wazzzzzupppp, baby?,

Hankie

13. Valenzo

Valenzo F1 Veteran

Dec 4, 2010
    IL & NC
    Full Name:
    Ted
    Why do your posts make me smile?

It's the image smack dab in front of you. The '69 green pickup with the frame in front and the cab on the ground. I bought it in 1999 in Boise Idaho and drove my girlfriend (wife) through the great north and showed her Yellowstone while sleeping in the back under the big night sky

It needs to come back to life!

14. hank sound

hank sound F1 Veteran

Jan 31, 2004
    Burbank, CA
    Full Name:
    Hank Garfield
    #39 hank sound, Aug 7, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2013
    I wasn't sure - but now that I think of it, an El Camino has no separation between cab and bed - - therefore .............

May all the Gods of the Universe bless you, the girlfriend who became the wife, the babies you've made and the baby you've saved. Let them also keep a pair of Hammerhead Shark's eyes on your business - just to assure that all is OK :):)

Love ya Teddy,

Hankie

15. Rapalyea

Rapalyea Formula 3

Jun 18, 2013
    Georgia Mountains US
    Full Name:
    David Rapalyea alias
    #40 Rapalyea, Aug 8, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2013
    You can't go wrong with the Vette - a timeless design. [IMHO the XKE has not aged all that well. The wheels are just too much inboard, for instance.] And the Vette can be fitted with all sorts of modern engine and suspension stuff. Even electric rack and pinion steering, disk brakes, throttle body fuel injection, suspension locator arms, stronger stabilizer bars etc. And all of it at Chevrolet prices.

One thing to keep in mind. When my brother-in-law helped restore his buddies 1960 they reinforced various weak places in the fiberglass body. It was easy to do, and there are probably plenty of Vette clubs that can give particulars. I assume there are no right hand drive vettes. However, I assume right hand drive people in the UK are more accustomed to left hand drive because of the left hand drive continent. Me? I would never rent a right hand drive car in the UK or elsewhere. I would be a public menace.

16. Rapalyea

Rapalyea Formula 3

Jun 18, 2013
    Georgia Mountains US
    Full Name:
    David Rapalyea alias
    You wrote: "Call me queer but I really like this interior." No. But I think you would need to be a contortionist.

17. WilyB

WilyB F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 23, 2007
    AZ
    #42 WilyB, Aug 8, 2013
  18. Lino

Lino Formula Junior

Jul 7, 2010
    Montreal Canada
    Full Name:
    Lino
    #43 Lino, Aug 8, 2013
  19. hank sound

hank sound F1 Veteran

Jan 31, 2004
    Burbank, CA
    Full Name:
    Hank Garfield
    #44 hank sound, Aug 8, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2013
    Me too, Lino - -

They're so damn wildly cool looking. They almost scream out: "I am different !!!, and I'm classy !!!, I am comfort !!! and, I'm French, as well !!! - so it goes without saying, that I'm also quite sexy" !!!!

:) hmmmmmmm, (it's fun to hear a car express its deepest feelings).

Hankie

20. Burch1

Burch1 Formula 3

May 26, 2012
    Singapore/Carmel, IN
    Full Name:
    Greg
    what is the meaning of the front license plate?
    Cheers!
    Greg

21. WilyB

WilyB F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 23, 2007
    AZ
    Thanks! I am the 2nd owner of that car. It has 60K miles. I drove it to the UK and various parts of France. It now in NoVA.

I bought the car in France in 1980 from the original owner and titled it in Paris. This is a period French tag, 235 is a sequential number and DAR sequential letters. 999 DAR would be followed by 1 DAS. 75 is the number for Paris. All Parisian zip codes start with 75xxx.

Because French license plates are larger than US ones, I had a little artisan custom manufacture a US sized plate. That is not authorized but I never had any trouble while in France.

Just for kicks, I bought that car for the equivalent of about $400.

22. WilyB

WilyB F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 23, 2007
    AZ
    An ID, a great car. My parents had an ID Station Wagon back in the early 60s and I remember touring Yougoslavia - mostly on dirt roads - during the Summer vacations.

Later, in 68, my dad had a DS21 Pallas and I remember he was running near top speed on the Autostrada between Venice and Milan, probably a couple of miles above 100 mph when suddenly a 275GTB overtook us with a huge speed differential, probably doing 150 mph with its V12 in full song.

That day I was hooked on Ferrari.

23. jjmalez

jjmalez F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 8, 2005
    Northern Illinois
    Full Name:
    Joseph
    The first new car I purchased was a 1991 Pontiac Formula Firebird. Drove it off the showroom floor on a Tuesday. Had to have it towed back to the same dealership three days later. Nothing like being out on a date, dinner/movie/cocktails and then head back to my place only to have the ignition switch go "poof" with 195 miles on the odometer.

She called a cab.

True story :(

Joe