What's with Tesla drivers? | Page 5 | FerrariChat

What's with Tesla drivers?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by JimEakin, Sep 4, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. AlfistaPortoghese

AlfistaPortoghese Moderator
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2014
    Europe, but not by much.
    Full Name:
    Nuno
    Teslas may be faster at times. They can also be lots of things. One thing it’ll never be: a Ferrari. That may be subconsciously unsettling for some, hence some behaviours we see on the road.

Kind regards,

Nuno.

daytona355, paulchua and stavura like this.
  2. Viper830tt

Viper830tt Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

May 10, 2017
    ...and so now we have a Nürburgring time for a model S (7:20). Thats about even with and bit ahead of a 488. Ferrari still more fun overall and a million times better on the styling. Guess they fixed the limp mode issue.

G. Pepper likes this.
  3. willrace

willrace Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 21, 2006
    North Tay-has
    Full Name:
    Kurt
    It's what they've got. It's all they have to run with.

4. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Keep in mind that was a custom Tesla, tuned specifically for that circuit. Sort of unfair in my opinion.

daytona355 and FerrariTexas like this.
  5. ginoBBi512

ginoBBi512 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Oct 9, 2016
    SO CAL
    Full Name:
    GINO RUGGIERO

I would give you a go on my Suzuki GSXR 1300 Hyabusa,(220 rear wheel HP without Nitrous ) all the way to your 720 s top speed,,I will be waiting to buy you a cup of coffee when you catch up lol

My Ducati Monster 1200 R will take you up to 100, then you would pass, me ( I believe im 5.8 seconds to 100 )

6. JAM1

JAM1 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 22, 2004
    FL, NY, and MA
    Full Name:
    Joe
    To be more reasonable in comparison, the 488 comparison should be substituted with a 488 GT2 because the car Tesla ran wasn’t a model S. It’s not a production car at all but a purpose modified car for timing events. They ran a car with non-factory tires, wider stance, fully gutted interior in one of the two cars, altered aero and spoiler, an additional motor, and obviously use specific software to allow it to run on a track without limping or reserving power - aside from the times it became a brick as captured in video. Who knows what suspension was under it or what other non-stock alterations were present. I’d like someone to haul a stock P100 out and see how it actually performs... and if it can even make it around the track a few times without shutting down. That’d be a headline worth reading.

JimEakin and daytona355 like this.
  7. JAM1

JAM1 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 22, 2004
    FL, NY, and MA
    Full Name:
    Joe
    The funny thing is when I was a kid I had a Kawasaki ZX7R that could beat virtually anything on the road outside of another hot bike. It didn’t matter that I wasn’t great off the start. Didn’t matter that I’d shift outside optimum RPM. Didn’t matter I’d skate the front tire 1/4 mile. Having a bike in itself was enough to beat whatever I came across and I never would have dreamed we’d have cars running those kind of times someday.

Now we do. I can run nav, air con, XM radio, put the 720 in launch mode and repeat a great time over and over all afternoon with virtually identical results. While certain bikes are as quick or quicker, it isn’t common anymore and it’s terrifically dependent on rider skill now when those few seconds really do matter. Still, I can’t believe we can talk about serious heads up racing between bikes and cars. It’s really an incredible time to be a gear head. That’s for sure.

8. PhilNotHill

PhilNotHill Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    Whether driving in my 458 Spider or my Audi S5 convertible the Teslas tailgate me. It’s like they have never seen a convertible before and just have to get a very close look.

Why do they drive around with the windows open? Afraid to use the aircon cause it will sap the battery.

9. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    McLaren is the iPhone of cars. New version every year it seems.

FerrariTexas likes this.
  10. ginoBBi512

ginoBBi512 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Oct 9, 2016
    SO CAL
    Full Name:
    GINO RUGGIERO
    #110 ginoBBi512, Sep 25, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2019
    [I see Mclarens all over where I live, I also see 488 s, I love the 488 so much, that if I could ever afford one, I would forget about the Paddle Shifted gearbox and buy it anyways. Im not a fan of the Mclarens design. No matter what, Ferraris are still and always will be the best looking machines the world has ever seen, paddle shifted or not....Until then, I will continue to drive my 328 and be grateful that I was able to experience Ferrari , and one of its best examples ever produced.

daytona355 and stavura like this.
  11. MalcQV

MalcQV F1 Rookie

Oct 11, 2004
    Manchester, UK
    Full Name:
    Malc Holden
    I also suspect whilst being a standard 488 it also wasn't drive by a Ferrari test driver. Ferrari test/develop their road cars at Fiorano and the Maranello hills. Why would they bother using 'the ring' when they have that.

daytona355 likes this.
  12. Newjoint

Newjoint Formula 3

Jan 17, 2016
    Having ridden superbikes for 25 years I was always amazed by the performance per dollar. Sports cars have slowly caught up and now can surpass most liter sport bikes with just a press of accelerator.
    McLaren Ferrari Porsche Lamborghini and now Teslas can out accelerate all but the highest end superbikes.

As this has occurred I find myself still enjoying the bikes “swoosh” factor more and more. Last year I was behind a McLaren P1 on a twisty back road on one of my Ducati (my slow one-the Diavel) and tried everything to lose me and couldn’t. I had a blast and I’m sure he was disappointed in his hyper car
    That being said I’m sure I’d feel the same in my 488 if a Tesla did that to me. Fortunately I know my car’s limits and those of most other fast cars and bikes on the road. I enjoy my vehicles for what they are and avoid competition on the street.
    That’s what the track is for

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

13. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Super bikes have never really been competition for a car, road or track. 2 completely different animals.

Super bikes were done being the kings of the road in the mid 2000's.

14. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    Ferrari and other manufacturers never do that either. ;)

BOKE and tbakowsky like this.
  15. ross

ross Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    the great thing about driving a cool car is it is still cool when it is going slow.....

16. PhilNotHill

PhilNotHill Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    Didn’t see a Tesla today. Perhaps it’s too cold and they are afraid to turn on the heater and deplete their battery.

daytona355 and stavura like this.
  17. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    I think Ferrari has generally stayed away from Nurburgring

18. ross

Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    i never race anybody on public roads anymore with a ferrari.
    from experience i know that IF there is a cop out there, I am the one that will get the ticket.
    so i actually slow down when confronted by one of these types, or at a stoplight, i simply let them take off, and then i drive off the line slowly.
    i really dont need to prove anything to them, or myself.

tesla are impressive machines and i can respect the engineering.
    but they are not art.
    ferraris are art.

daytona355, MalcQV, italiafan and 2 others like this.
  19. Gary Sandberg

Gary Sandberg Formula Junior

Same thoughts for me. Typically I am the slower of the cars on the road and keep to the right on two lanes.

Had a great autumn drive today, and did I care following the slower cars? Nada!! Just enjoyed the car and the experience.

That, in my opinion, is the quintescenital purpose of the exotic car - whether it be Ferrari, Lamborghini, McLaren, Porsche........

Just enjoy the ride!!

20. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    consider as well that as Marvels in engineering that they are, they are just commeditized.

There are 150,000 Model S
    There will be many more Model 3s.

I am by no means a Tesla hater, I think they are great. Just not 'unique' which is part of Ferrari that I enjoy.

daytona355 and rob lay like this.
  21. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    G. Pepper and BOKE like this.
  22. Etcetera

Etcetera Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 7, 2003
    Full Name:
    C9H8O4
    The best things about a Tesla truck? No lift kits, no loud pipes, and no drivers with their ball caps on backwards. All of them will have matching fenders 20 years from now.

rob lay likes this.
  23. Dolcevita

Dolcevita Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 5, 2011
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Craig
    But you need to buy the illuminated nut sack to hang off the back.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

stavura, willrace, BOKE and 1 other person like this.
  24. ross

Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
  25. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX