Whats with Ferrari and bogus HP numbers? | Page 5 | FerrariChat

Whats with Ferrari and bogus HP numbers?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by 04g, Sep 14, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. good2go

good2go Formula Junior

Feb 9, 2016
    I have said I will give $500 to a charity here in MN. He is not backing up anything. He needs to show some class. All he has to do is show he owns three cars he claims to own and a charity in MN is $500 better off.

I know I will respect him more... Even if he is abrasive. Bottom line the person thinks its fun poking fun at people that own Ferrari's. Even though he said he owns a 458. So does the guy like fast cars, sure, does he maybe own a car, sure, does he take it to a track and race in a straight line. Highly likely. What does any of that have to do with someone else buying a Ferrari.

I can think he's a liar, or I can think he's abrasive. Right now, the needle points to being a liar.

He should prove me wrong, get an apology, get me to admitting I was wrong and help a charity in MN.

I don't see this person proving anything to anyone. He is not here to share ideas, he was here to insult people who have bought a Ferrari.

2. 04g

04g Karting

May 11, 2015

i am game. happy to PM my car info to a trusted member or a Moderator as long as they promise to delete it and not post on a public forum for obvious reasons.

and when my info checks out maybe the posters who started the nonsense thread derailment can leave this topic?

3. GrayTA

GrayTA F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 25, 2006
    Deep South
    Full Name:
    PDG

I asked him about providing the last 7 of his vin which I believe could be verified as to ownership through another source here on FChat to verify ownership. Posting up pics as asked for could be done through anywhere, but any route is easy enough.

The fact is that the Ferrari world is small enough that if you own a Ferrari, chances are about 98% that I know you or someone who knows you. So far, I haven't seen anyone stating they know him or know of him owning a Ferrari. The dealer network is small enough that a quick call could verify someone like that. Further, he hasn't stated where he gets his cars serviced, even if it isn't at a dealership.

I could be wrong (I have been wrong a lot of times before), but my position is that this is a teenage kid stirring up crap. If I am wrong then I will apologize publicly here.

PDG

4. anunakki

anunakki Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 8, 2005
    Las Vegas Nevada
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    Oh please

Many way more important people than yourself post info about their cars here every day. You arent so special yoou need to remain anonymous.

Heck Axel Rose and many others post here. You dont get special treatment.

5. anunakki

anunakki Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 8, 2005
    Las Vegas Nevada
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    99% likely. 1% he is a trust fund kid.

No self made MAN would act like he does.

6. furmano

furmano Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 22, 2004
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Furman
    Clearly you've been tricked by Ferrari, er, Dino Marketing!!!

OK, OK, fashion plays by a bit different rules. Besides, Ferrari doesn't really do "marketing" the way normal companies do.

-F

7. 308 milano

308 milano F1 Veteran

Jan 15, 2007
    Montana
    Full Name:
    Kim

I'm sorry but I had to laugh! That was pretty funny! Unfortunately I fit that demographic (55)

8. furmano

Silver Subscribed

Jul 22, 2004
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Furman
    You still haven't answered the question as to why you don't just get rid of the Ferrari and buy a Tesla if drag race times is what you care about. Please, we're all waiting for your answer. Go ahead, give it a shot.

Huh? We've said just the OPPOSITE! If you are interested in drag race times then a Ferrari is NOT for you. Instead buy a Corvette or Tesla or a Japanese car that can be modded for a WHOLE lot less money. Seriously.

But why in the world did you spend so much on a Ferrari if drag race times were so important to you? Did you not know the actual performance specs for the 458 and you're just finding out that the 458 can't hang on the drag strip? That makes no sense.

Maybe it's because you didn't actually buy that 458.

-F

9. Mbutner

Mbutner Formula 3

Aug 11, 2005
    Bay Area / Washington DC
    Full Name:
    Quick Draw
    Agreed. This thread is embarrassing. I follow one of the threads posters on Instagram, who mentioned how he's appalled at how this new member was berated for asking a real and relevant question. Here in the Bay Area, there are a metric ton of guys in their 20's, 30's, and 40's with collections that would make you blush, and they all generally drive the hell out of them and participate in friendly track events like OP mentioned. OP is likely one of them - possibly from a culture where his anonymity means more to you or me.

He didn't post "OMFG you guys!! Your Ferrari's are crap! My tuned Honda will pull you in a 1/4 mile!11!!!11"

He posted real evidence that Ferrari seems to be overstating their HP and performance figures. This seems to be legitimate, especially when you consider how Ferrari threatens owners who loan their cars for magazine or other tests. (See Salomondrin Youtube for example - you'd likely call him a ******, but he passes your ownership threshold)

The old "I drive a Ferrari b/c of how it feels, not bc it's fast" works for cars that are 20 years old. You're sucking down way too much of the red koolaid if you are telling me you're happy to know your brand new Ferrari is MUCH slower than its contemporary competition.

At our local cars and coffee events, the demographics are telling - guys pulling up in Ferraris can barely get out of the car (Ben and his wife are exceptions), while the other marques are driven by young guys swapping stories of the last track event they tore up. If Ferrari wants to remain relevant (with its modern offerings) they will have to do more than rely on their history and "exclusivity" which with increased production numbers, could fade over time as well.

10. good2go

good2go Formula Junior

Feb 9, 2016
    04g has one goal, make Ferrari owners feel bad about buying a Ferrari.

I'm going to go for a ride in my Ferrari to cheer myself up. :)

11. Ferrari Envy

Ferrari Envy Formula Junior

Apr 27, 2009
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Cameron DeMille
    you guys take troll bait too easily

12. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua

I take the bet. I am ready to PayPal Rob or any Moderator right now $500

04g,

But we got to make this fair, since we don't know anything about you - this could set me up for a reddit post: "I'll give $500 to anybody that owns a 458, 911T, and a Lambo"

But this is relatively easy to do. You can send just a moderator along with your $500 (and still keep your privacy) a copy of your Driver's License, it will have your physical address, along with your pinks. A moderator knows the first IP# you registered with - it should match at least the prefix IP of the ISP you're using near your home address on the DL. The pinks should match the DL, and address and the IP should match your driver's license.

Then take a picture of your driver's license (you can cover the photo/address) and this very post in front of your 458, 911T, and Lambo together.

You just got an easy $500

Its time to "put up or shut up" as they say.

13. Kaivball

Kaivball Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jan 11, 2007
    Kalifornia
    I love it.

Kai

14. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    No, I insist Bob Norwood holds the money, that way we know it's safe.

15. good2go

good2go Formula Junior

Feb 9, 2016
    Two different points.
    1. Ferrari miss states HP
    2. Ferrari are slower then the competition

OP - How does his number posted validate point 1?

So it's all about speed? Why aren't al the car companies in big trouble, the Tesla blows them away 0-60.

This thread has one point, to try and make a Ferrari owner feel bad about owning a Ferrari.

Many people in the discussion board own multiple cars. Many people on this board buy multiple brands.

I personally will buy a new car every 2 years, just because I want to drive different cars, different brands. And I will never look at speed 0-60, 1/4 or 1/2 track. I think its short sighted to think that everyone that buys these car is only interested in speed.

16. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    #116 paulchua, Sep 15, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2016
    Hmm, I agree Ben is pretty cool, I enjoyed it when he brought his LaFerrari to FOG. Does he magically turn into a geriatric poseur when he's at a FOG event? Besides, the poster already admitted he was trolling, so your post is moot. Sometimes its just fun to play along though. I invite you to our next FOG meet up - I normally mirror Kevin Enderby - professional driving instructor. His 308 has 200K+ Miles, his 430 has 100K+ miles on the track.

17. furmano

Silver Subscribed

Jul 22, 2004
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Furman
    This is not news. These things have been part of the Ferrari conversation for some time (decades?).

There will always be a faster, cheaper alternative to Ferrari. Everyone knows that. If the typical new Ferrari buyer doesn't know that, too bad, so sad. (Does the OP fall into that category?) So sell the car for a markup, buy a Corvette, Porsche, muscle car, Japanese car, etc. and pocket the change.

Bullfighter said it the best, people buy a Porsche to get a trophy, people buy a Ferrari because it's the trophy. That's right, the Ferrari is the prize, not the means to get the prize.

It's as if the OP thinks he's discovered some great nefarious secret about the reality of Ferrari's. But we've known this for a long time. Not the best track machine, often (always?) gets smoked at the drag strip.

So the OP should sell his (father's) Ferrari's and buy a Corvette or a Viper and show up to the drag strip and be THE MAN. Why is this so complicated?

-F

18. DK308

DK308 F1 Rookie

Aug 13, 2013
    Europe, way north.
    Full Name:
    AB
    Now THAT was funny:D

19. Ferrari 360 CS

Ferrari 360 CS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 4, 2004
    Cape Town,SA
    Full Name:
    Jacques
    Did it ever occur you there might be a traction problems? 4 wheel drive Lamborghini and 2 wd F12.

20. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    :)

cool....

Maybe we can reach out to Pierro?

21. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    +1

Just get a Killacycle - done.

Cheaper too!

:)

22. furmano

Silver Subscribed

Jul 22, 2004
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Furman
    If Ferrari continues to do what they have been doing for the last 70+ years they will do just fine.

LaFerrari, TdF, 488, etc., those are all fine products that people wait in line in order to get the privileged to pay 2x-3x the price of comparable product. Not a bad place for a luxury brand to be.

-F

23. good2go

good2go Formula Junior

Feb 9, 2016
    +1

24. 04g

04g Karting

May 11, 2015
    i obviously touched on a sensitive subject ;)

to answer why i dont buy a gtr/tesla/corvette/blah blah blah if i care about 1/2 times.

i already own a 911tt that has no problems winning the class and i race it like it should be.

i wish Ferrari would step up their game. i wish all the F cars were competitive at local tracks/events.

I hope one day i'll see a dozen or more 25-40 year olds in their F cars calling out Porsche/Mclaren/Lambo/Nissan guys at these events where everybody is just having a good time and some friendly competition is happening. You guys are perfectly fine waxing your 308's and 355's on the weekends i get it, id rather be racing ;)

25. 04g

04g Karting

May 11, 2015
    you guys keep posting; buy a viper, tesla or a corvette and be the "man" "youll win everything". You crusts really are stuck in the the 90's.... None of those cars are winning jack Sh*t and havent been in a long time. Put the 1997 issue of Road and Track down, go outside once in a while... go to an event (as a spectator of course) most of these places have handicapped ramps and dont worry the music is not too loud.