Whats with Ferrari and bogus HP numbers? | Page 24 | FerrariChat

Whats with Ferrari and bogus HP numbers?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by 04g, Sep 14, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Bluebottle

Bluebottle F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 15, 2012
    Newbury, Berkshire, England
    Full Name:
    John
    Reminds me of another quote (from about 40 years ago, referring to automotive interior trim): "The Germans are very good at making plastic look like wood, while the Italians are equally good at making wood look like plastic".

DGPF likes this.
  2. Braces

Braces Karting

Mar 24, 2012
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    That made me laugh. Thank you.

3. GiveMeSomethingICanUse

Jan 26, 2016
    Fair enough, but Ferrari is ALL about their racing heritage. Being the fastest around a track. That was always Enzo's passion. I don't care about speed myself, but I want to know that if I wanted to, my car could spank the competition. When people think of Ferrari they think of the ultimate car. Something on another level. That invariably includes being the fastest.

4. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    #579 paulchua, Dec 5, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2016
    A few things are going on with this thread. 04g himself admitted a few times the was trolling, so that explains less than diplomatic responses to his first question and his first shot at the community. People asked for proof (including myself) of Ferrari ownership, not as a litmus test for participation, but because it is rare and uncharacteristic for an owner and self-described fan of marque to troll their community. People wanted to ascertain if 04g was just another of the multitude of trolls/fakers if you are here long enough, will see it is a dime a dozen.

While 04g had sharp elbows, I was satisfied that he is honest and gave me a heaping dose of humble pie. I - apologized and donated to charity; but other wagers were much more stringent and sorry to bring up old battles -but they were ultimately still never fully substantiated, so nobody 'backed out' so to speak of their respective wagers.

Now as far as the original premise, that is - are Ferrari falsely overrating their HP? If you have the stomach to read the whole thread, you will see nothing was proven - so this is an open question. Although, given the opportunity that any trial lawyer would foam at the mouth with - I cynically will assert that the answer is no.

I agree completely with you about wanting your vehicle to be the 'fastest' given the Ferrari ethos, mystique, and (let's not even mention the price.) In this arena - again, nothing was proven other than 04g having done in my opinion a reasonable challenge for 1/2 mile events not being a Ferrari strongpoint. This is where we currently stand and I think is worthy of further discussion.

Be well all.

5. Ferrarifan2016

Ferrarifan2016 Karting

Oct 26, 2016
    Detroit
    Full Name:
    Jack
    +1000

All this talk of who is fastest doesnt matter. Or hosepower. Who cares??? Ferrari makes the best cars and only a few dare to compare.

Half mile events are not fair. Ferraris tune for 0-60 and top speed. The middle isnt so important to them. I never here of half mile in car and driver. also, the other cars dont have the passion except a few perhaps.

This story is tired!

6. Cotton

Cotton Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Dec 11, 2008
    TN
    Wow, classy response. I take it that was you then? I honestly couldn't remember and it wasn't important enough for me to go back and look. It's pretty obvious now. If you feel so strongly about it why don't you give us the facts?

7. good2go

good2go Formula Junior

Feb 9, 2016
    Not my facts to share. But I have communicated to the OP and the moderator. This thread got way out of control. I took the conversation off line. I do not approve of the attacks on the OP. And if I looked like one of the people attaching, I apologize to all in this group.

I was surprised the thread popped up again. And I was even more surprised that I was being called out.

Sorry if I jumped on you but I don't want someone questioning my word, and that's what I thought you were doing.

8. JaguarXJ6

JaguarXJ6 F1 Veteran

Feb 12, 2003
    Black Hawk, CO
    Full Name:
    Sunny
    This is both right and wrong.

In 1st and 2nd gear these cars are AWD. This aids in launching, but the transmissions go into RWD delivering 90%+ power to the rear wheels which happens in 3rd gear, or 2nd if traction conditions allow.

At speed not cornering, they are fully RWD to give more predictability to handling and efficiency in power delivery (less driveline loss).

9. absent

absent F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Nov 2, 2003
    illinois
    Full Name:
    mark k.