What's this Tenax stud for? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

What's this Tenax stud for?

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by Cadillacbart, Jul 2, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. PV Dirk

PV Dirk F1 Veteran

Jul 26, 2009
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    When I was at ferrparts years ago they had one. I should have purchased it.

2. jgoodman

jgoodman F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 29, 2009
    Central PA
    Full Name:
    Jay Goodman
    I bought four of the horsie Tenax fasteners about 5 years ago. I heard they were the last in the U.S., but who knows. No, they really aren't part of concours events because the tops need to be up during judging. There are generic Tenax fasteners that I routinely use, but as others have mentioned, the pins get easily deformed, making the fasteners malfunction. There is a great deal of tension on the fasteners closest to the engine near the engine bonnet, making failure common there. Someone started a thread showing how you could move the horsie plastic tops onto a different fastener. Mike, can you please find this for us?

3. Mondi88

Mondi88 Karting

Aug 4, 2014
    South West, UK
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Interesting to hear the tops need to be up for judging.

I have the embossed caps on all but those two inside the door frames. I now use ones without the caps on all studs after losing a cap tenax whilst driving, confirmation that they can come loose (and worth checking periodically how tight they are on the boot cover).

Surprised the embossed caps fit for that door frame stud actually. I'm not near the car right now, but from memory there's not much room between that tenax and the closed doors.

Maranello Classic Parts (www.ferrariparts.co.uk) did have those caps in stock last time I looked (used on 348's and 355's too). About $30 each I think.

4. FamilyCar

FamilyCar Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 26, 2007
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Peter Goodall
    The Tenax fasteners are the same under the horsie. You can very carefully pry the horsie off and snap it onto the replacement fastener.

5. Mondi88

Mondi88 Karting

Aug 4, 2014
    South West, UK
    Full Name:
    Dave
    #30 Mondi88, Jul 5, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Well, this is where I was originally confused on my Tenax education journey. There are actually two types 1. where the black embossed cap can be placed on top (left in pic) 2. one where the cap can't (right in pic).

The "number 2's" seem more commonly available and are, for example, the ones that are typically sent with a replacement boot cover. So if you plan to have replacements for those used with the cap, just be aware.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

6. soucorp

soucorp F1 Rookie

Sep 20, 2011
    Old Dominion
    Full Name:
    Mike
    #31 soucorp, Jul 5, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I believe this is the one you are referring to Jay, there's multiple threads on this.
    http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/mondial/421370-new-tenax-fastners.html

Cheers
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

7. jgoodman

jgoodman F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 29, 2009
    Central PA
    Full Name:
    Jay Goodman
  8. godabitibi

godabitibi F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 11, 2012
    Papineauville, Quebec
    Full Name:
    Claude Laforest
    If these are only snap on covers someone should reproduce them. It shouldn't be too hard to do.
    Just a suggestion! Verrel, Ron ?????? :D

Those are the little details I like.

9. dfranzen

dfranzen Formula 3
    Owner

Aug 31, 2013
    Ponte Vedra Beach , FL
    Full Name:
    Don Franzen
    +1