What's this tarrry stuff inside my airboxes? | FerrariChat

What's this tarrry stuff inside my airboxes?

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by 180 Out, Sep 8, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 180 Out

180 Out Formula 3

Jan 4, 2012
    San Leandro, CA
    Full Name:
    Bill Henley
    #1 180 Out, Sep 8, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I had the big black plastic ducts off both sides of my '83's K-Jet today. I pulled up on the passenger side airflow sensor. The lever that's attached to the sensor disc has a C-section. When I pulled up on the disc, I noticed a dark brown liquid was collected in the lever's C-section. The same liquid is present on the driver side. I took two pictures of the driver side and they're attached. The pictures aren't very good. But in the first one you can see a star-shaped highlight that's caused by the liquid. In the second picture you can see two such highlights. I dipped a Q-tip into the liquid and the third picture shows the result. I thought the liquid on the passenger side smelled of gasoline, but the driver side has no odor.

So what is the source of this dark brown liquid? This area should be a dry area. It's upstream of the air filter and it's downstream of the throttle, or for that matter the air sensor plate as well. This is mysterious.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. blkprlz

blkprlz Formula 3

Mar 24, 2007
    Tampa bay
    Full Name:
    Bruce
    Hmmm, very interesting...
    I've had the sensor plates off mine before but never noticed this, I'll have to take another look.