What's the latest on Mondial rear stub axles? | FerrariChat

What's the latest on Mondial rear stub axles?

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by nathandarby67, Feb 13, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. nathandarby67

nathandarby67 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 1, 2005
    Mississippi
    Full Name:
    Nathan
    I finally got around to finding a new rear hub for the one on my Mondial that broke almost 6 years ago. (http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/mondial/281645-f-chat-rescue-need-left-rear-wheel-hub-mondial-2.html) What is not covered in that thread is that a few months after that incident, the stub axle on the left rear broke while loading the car on a trailer. It sheared off where the flange attaches to the shaft, in what I understand is the common failure location of 308/mondial rear stub axles. So, in addition to needing a hub assembly, I also want two new axles to minimize chances of this happening again. My plan is to rebuild the hub and axle assemblies on both sides with new bearings and seals, so am trying to round up all the parts for that job.

I dug up several of the old threads concerning 308 and Mondial stub axles, and between that and looking at the usual parts houses it appears that the original part 108046 is no longer available. Many places list 124964 as a replacement, but from what I understand this is not a direct swap, and apparently requires replacing the entire rear hub assembly as the bearing and shaft dimensions are slightly different. See http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/137480561-post17.html

What is the latest on the best way to fix this? Is there a replacement available anywhere? Or are people just magnafluxing/xraying their axles and hoping for the best? Has anyone tried heat treating or shot peening their original axles?

2. Karsya Eins

Karsya Eins Karting

Jun 17, 2014
    Albany, NY
    Full Name:
    Demostene Romanucci
  3. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    #3 Wade, Feb 18, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  4. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Those hubs were recalled, that is why the part is no longer available under the original number.

Call Ferrari and ask if recall #142 was performed on your car and explain the problem. You may very well get it fixed for free.

Don't call a dealer. Most will never have heard of it and if it does not come up on the computer it will end there. Call headquarters and tell them you had a failure relevant to the recall in question. This recall took place in the 80's.

It required replacement of the entire hub assembly. They had larger bearings and larger axles.

5. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    Long-term insider knowledge ^^^, it's priceless. Thanks

6. porphy

porphy Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 9, 2009
    LouisvilleKY/Switzld
    Full Name:
    Randall Gatz
    Wow! That's very high level veteran impressive knowledge.

7. bartzagato

bartzagato Formula Junior

Aug 7, 2010
    Belgium
    Full Name:
    Bart
    Rifledriver,
    I opened up a new box with respect!
    It's all for you Sir!

Such knowledge is priceless to have it here on F-chat!

8. MvT

MvT F1 Rookie

May 25, 2013
    The Netherlands - NH
    Full Name:
    Tijn
    That is one expensive repair :eek: in parts already! Hope you get at least the parts if not the whole deal. In deed priceless knowledge!

9. Rapalyea

Rapalyea Formula 3

Jun 18, 2013
    Georgia Mountains US
    Full Name:
    David Rapalyea alias
    Do you know what year or serial numbers mark the beginning of production run installation for the more robust part?

10. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall