What's the best photo cataloging software | FerrariChat

What's the best photo cataloging software

Discussion in 'Creative Arts' started by stitch, Jul 22, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. stitch

stitch Formula Junior

Mar 6, 2008
    So Cal
    Full Name:
    Charles
    I take a ton of photos for my work and for legal reasons have to store them for 10 years and be able to retrieve them. I'm looking for software that will allow me to input enough information so that the photos would be searchable by title or description. Not looking for cheapo software necessarily - professional grade software into 4 figures would be acceptable if it has the right features. Thanks in advance.

2. DrStranglove

DrStranglove FChat Assassin
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Google Maps
    Full Name:
    DrS
  3. Artherd

Artherd F1 Veteran

Jun 19, 2002
    Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Ben Cannon
    #3 Artherd, Jul 22, 2008
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2008
    If you are not using Macs, then check out ACDSee and Picasa.

There's also Gallery, which you can also use to store and present your material online. It can do anything you want. You may have to hire someone to build you your app, but it will be fairly cheap if it's just a few fields with no relational joins or anything. If you are computer/web-savvy, you should be able to figure it out yourself.

You can use MS Access too, or any of the other major databases. It would be trivial and expandable, but if you were to want to put it online later, it would be expensive as they require you to buy into their server software. One way around this would be to create a "report" out of the software and publish that as a static page. You could use triggers to automate that process...but it's getting convoluted and you only need one break in the chain to kill the workflow.

I would go with Gallery. And a very, very robust backup plan no matter what you use... :)

4. stitch

stitch Formula Junior

Mar 6, 2008
    So Cal
    Full Name:
    Charles
    Thank you guys. I've been looking forever. I was contemplating an online service - $99 per month, but I'm hesitant to become hostage to their service.

5. YellowbirdRS

YellowbirdRS Formula 3

Nov 9, 2005
    DFW/RGV/MX
    Full Name:
    Xavier
    Windows = Adobe Photoshop Lightroom
    Mac = Aperture

6. OC Speed Junkie

OC Speed Junkie Formula 3

Aug 6, 2005
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joseph
    +1.

7. blackwood

blackwood Formula 3

Dec 15, 2005
    Redondo Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Marc
    +2

8. digitec

digitec Karting

Apr 19, 2004
    East coast USA
    how about adobe bridge? anyone have experience with it? I don't use it often, since im not a photographer, but it is great for opening photos in photoshop and illustrator

9. mchas

mchas F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 5, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Mark
    I personally use Picasa and love it. Google makes it very easy to catalog your photos, and upload them to their site so you can send the link to anyone. Totally free.

10. stitch

stitch Formula Junior

Mar 6, 2008
    So Cal
    Full Name:
    Charles
    Thanks for all the feedback. I'll try them out and see which works best for me.

11. 360Doctor

360Doctor Formula Junior

Jun 23, 2007
    United States
    Full Name:
    Michael
  12. stitch

stitch Formula Junior

Mar 6, 2008
    So Cal
    Full Name:
    Charles
    Does Picasa allow backup to a hard drive? I only see an option to burn onto a DVD or CD. TIA