Whats it worth - 1988 Ferrari Mondial. | FerrariChat

Whats it worth - 1988 Ferrari Mondial.

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by HonestJohn, Mar 7, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. HonestJohn

HonestJohn Rookie

Mar 7, 2014
    I know of a 1988 Ferrari Mondial. that has less than 5k miles on it and has been stored in AC since 1990. It was not pickled so it does not run. It was driven from the dealer to the storage. It is stored in Las Vegas now. No dents or scratches. All original.
    I would like to know what it is worth.
    Thanks

2. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    Hello John and welcome to FerrariChat.

Question, are you flipping or maybe interested in keeping/driving? Also, may I assume it's a Cab?

Anyway, all things considered (dry rotted tires, hoses, belts, top and maybe leather) I'd offer wholesale at $19k. Consider that it'll take $10k to $20k to make the car right again.

3. godabitibi

godabitibi F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 11, 2012
    Papineauville, Quebec
    Full Name:
    Claude Laforest
    Much less if you're a DIY guy!

4. Rapalyea

Rapalyea Formula 3

Jun 18, 2013
    Georgia Mountains US
    Full Name:
    David Rapalyea alias
    #4 Rapalyea, Mar 7, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2014
    I just do not know about mummified Ferraris. Any car that just sits for twenty five years is completely unpredictable. Get a battery and charge it up and see it it will start even after a lot of cranking. If it DOES start then listen for all the things that have died over the years.

Potentially every last moving part could be compromised. If it won't start I would ask payment for removing the thing. Every brake hose. Every caliper and every caliper seal. Every coolant hose. Every belt. Every hydraulic cylinder. The entire fuel system. Even the radiators could have been ruined. If you are a good and patient wrench its entirely doable. Just not worth much money.

5. docmirror

docmirror Formula Junior

May 6, 2004
    Ft Worth TX
    $23k-ish, Maybe a bit more. If it has unique color, and options like the luggage, might go up a bit.

6. ceb39

ceb39 Formula Junior

Sep 17, 2012
    San Francisco Area
    Full Name:
    Chuck B
    It's worth what ever a seller can get the buyer to pay.

If I was a potential buyer I would want some very smart Ferrari mechanic to tell me what it is going to cost the resurrect it, and what Easter is that going to take place on.

Just think what the tires are going to be like, after sitting in the same place for 20+ years, and the lubricant, and the hoses, and the coolant, and God knows what else, and all the stuff Rapalyea discussed above.

If you buy it, or know who does, we would all like to know what has to be done to it to get it running.

Do you know the VIN?

cb

7. godabitibi

godabitibi F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 11, 2012
    Papineauville, Quebec
    Full Name:
    Claude Laforest
    It depends a lot where and how it was stored.

8. Rapalyea

Rapalyea Formula 3

Jun 18, 2013
    Georgia Mountains US
    Full Name:
    David Rapalyea alias
    This thing is a potential money black hole. Just think about the fuel system. Twenty five years of jellification? The entire fuel and injector system? I can not imagine it would ever start. But I would put 2 cycle oil in the tank, and lots of Sea Foam. Then spray ether. If it stated I might think about it.

And I would spend a lot of time trying to start it. If ANY fuel is getting through it might fire. And if it fires, it might, over time, with lots of fuel solvent, clean itself out. Then hope the water pump seal is not torn. God. I just can not even contemplate the horrid possibilities.

But if you can get it started. Offer $5,000.

9. thecarreaper

thecarreaper F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    Please, do not, under ANY circumstances try to start the car as it sits. It needs to go to a Ferrari mechanic, or someones as qualified to be properly, and safely woken up again.

This is not a Camaro in your moms garage.

10. Faber

Faber Formula Junior

May 5, 2011
    TX Hill Country
    Full Name:
    Tom G.
    Pics please?

11. Rapalyea

Rapalyea Formula 3

Jun 18, 2013
    Georgia Mountains US
    Full Name:
    David Rapalyea alias
    #11 Rapalyea, Mar 7, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2014
    I take exception to the Camaro comparison. These cars are made out of better materials then Camaros. And my Z-28 was damned near indestructible. If the engine is frozen DO NOT BUY IT. If it is not frozen and will not start offer $500. And even then you are talking a risk. The entire machine is compromised but you might get the $500 back parting it out. Perhaps that is a low price. Still. My buddy had a 1970's Vette on blocks for a dozen years. Rotted the radiator out. For starters.

However, if the seller is willing to pay for the Ferrari mechanic to wake it up. Set your alarm clock. Not one chance in 1,000 an owner would do that. So thats your offering price. A bit above zero.

12. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    Not really.

In addition, my primary concern is dry rotted cambelts shearing some teeth upon startup.

13. thecarreaper

thecarreaper F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    I am a car collector. Had many of both GM and Ferrari. The comparison is apt.