What's For Dinner? | Page 622 | FerrariChat

What's For Dinner?

Discussion in 'Drink, Smoke, and Fine Dining' started by agup48, Apr 7, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. PureEuroM3

PureEuroM3 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 31, 2006
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Thomas
  2. GTHill

GTHill F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2006
    Double Wide
    Full Name:
    GT Hill
    Thank you Rob!

Sounds like I'm blowing smoke (bad pun) but this was the best BBQ we've had. I don't like BBQ with lots of fat in it and this was sooo nice to not have to deal with that. Half way through the meal I learned that my daughter doesn't like BBQ. I learned that on her second helping. :)

We loved the sauce too! The thicker version went faster and while I really don't usually like thinner BBQ sauce I gravitated towards that. Fortunately we still have some left and are looking forward to another meal!

Thank you again - very thoughtful and a great meal!

GT
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

TexasF355F1, SCFerrari, wax and 2 others like this.
  3. Frank_C

Frank_C F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2004
    Whistling through the wheat field in Texas
    Full Name:
    Frank Cavallo
    wax, Camp Freddie, NbyNW and 2 others like this.
  4. arizonaitalian

arizonaitalian F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming
    that crust looks fantastic...what all went on there and what fat was it cooked in? Beautiful!

ronfrohock likes this.
  5. arizonaitalian

Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming
    Me too...just finished a BrisketQue Sandwich (well, and a huge side helping of more BrisketQue). Folks all around the country eatin' well courtesy of @SCFerrari.

I'm alone for the first Christmas in my life (thank you covid and 2020) and this package showing up on my door was a welcome sight and a wonderful and greatly appreciated holiday gesture by a very generous and thoughtful member.

Thanks Rob!

TexasF355F1, SCFerrari, wax and 2 others like this.
  6. arizonaitalian

Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming
    #15531 arizonaitalian, Dec 23, 2020
    Last edited: Dec 23, 2020
    I kept eating some without any sauce, then some with the liquid sauce, then some with the thicker sauce. Honestly, each taste was so good and so different, I didn't settle on a favorite...have a few more sandwiches in coming days to decide :D

SCFerrari and NbyNW like this.
  7. arizonaitalian

Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming
    what makes it buffalo? Is there chicken? Buffalo sauce? Its from Buffalo? You felt like a buffalo after eating way too much? :eek::D

8. SCFerrari

SCFerrari F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 30, 2013
    South Carolina
    Full Name:
    Rob

Thanks for the kind words,

we enjoyed the process and playing with the new toys - the Buffalo chopper made processing everything a dream and the mew vacuum sealer is just as fast .. huge step ups from where we were before . had a lot of fun and glad it’s behind us at the same time!

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

9. arizonaitalian

Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming
    No pics? Nice job Max...errr, I mean Tom. ;) (I need to see what a proper smash burger looks like at home. I beat on some a couple of weeks ago and they were good, but sorta fugly looking...)

You would hate it here nowadays then...(neighbor's house around the corner)

A bit chilly too...but it won't stop me from smoking and searing a filet for Christmas Dinner nor using the outdoor griddle for Christmas morning breakfast...

TexasF355F1 and NbyNW like this.
  10. PureEuroM3

PureEuroM3 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 31, 2006
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Thomas
    Haha yes it has Buffalo chicken in the mix and Buffalo sauce. I also do feel a little like a Buffalo after eating it! But so good.

11. NbyNW

NbyNW F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Frank_C likes this.
  12. Juan-Manuel Fantango

Juan-Manuel Fantango F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 18, 2004
    Full Name:
    Juan
    The man is a DaVinci, a real Renaissance man. Have you seen him play the piano and sing? I hear that put him through college. Anyway, our golden treasure arrived today and can't wait to cow down. Thanks Rob!

As for tonight it was 1/2 chicken under a brick, and Veal Scallopini at Ombra in Hilton Head. Cakebread Cab 2017.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

13. Frank_C

Frank_C F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2004
    Whistling through the wheat field in Texas
    Full Name:
    Frank Cavallo
    #15538 Frank_C, Dec 23, 2020
    Last edited: Dec 23, 2020
    As y'all know I've gone to cast iron for all my beef.

I set my steaks out to warm to room temp abut an hour before I cook them and generously (kosher) salt them.

Just before I put them in the hot skillet I slather the first side with ghee. Nothing in the skillet at first- I've found that you don't want a ****load of fat in the pan and the right amount doesn't always cooperate and stay centered, so the slathering gives you the correct jump start the steaks need.

Then halfway through I drop in a chunk of Irish butter.

These steaks were about an inch and a quarter so 8 min total. I do 1 min flips so 4 flips each side. For thinner steaks or if I cut a filet in half it's 6 min total.

With all that butter in the pan I'll toss in some cognac and then heavy cream with some pepper/Montreal or whatever steak seasoning to flavor. My wife and kids love the sauce. Me- I just love a good steak with some S&P.

For burgers I don't season or make patties til the last second- salting the meat too early screws up the consistency. I season (S&P) the meat, make my (8 oz) patties then generously salt the outside them while I heat up the pan - about 5-10 min before I cook them. I also slather the first side with ghee then cook 8 min with either 1 or 2 min flips. If I have a hard cheddar cheese, one which needs 2 min to melt I'll go 1 min flips x4, then a 2 min and a 2 min finish to melt the cheddar.

One thing I no longer do is use steak seasoning or pepper on the outside of steaks/burgers while I cook, as unlike salt, pepper/seasonings can burn. I find it's better to season after it's cooked.

ps yes, that crust was just as crispy and delectable as it looks.....

tomc, NbyNW, wax and 1 other person like this.
  14. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    That looks great. I've wanted to try that chicken under a brick trick...T

15. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Brrrr. After living in North Dakota eons ago, I want to have nothing to do with single digit temps! Stay warm and enjoy your Christmas...T

arizonaitalian likes this.
  16. max930

max930 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 16, 2017
    vancouver
    Its a chilly 25f here this morning.............................. I'm looking forward to Chinese food tonight. Ordering wonton soup, something I'm craving and haven't had in years. Its going to be take out, Chinese restaurant isn't open for dine in. I miss dine in.

17. TexasF355F1

TexasF355F1 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Looks like I'm the only one that hasn't consumed the BBQ yet. Will be doing so on Saturday and can't wait.

18. arizonaitalian

Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming
    Since covid won’t let me share Christmas with loved ones, I thought I’d share a meal with a beautiful view...(picture can’t do the view justice, corn chowder and a salad and ice tea)

19. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Wow. Great view!
    T

20. SCFerrari

SCFerrari F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 30, 2013
    South Carolina
    Full Name:
    Rob
    maybe that’s why I only made it through one year of college

NbyNW and arizonaitalian like this.
  21. NbyNW

NbyNW F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Cathedral Peaks. Stunning. Wish we were there. Enjoy it! Slightly different view in Maryland.

22. max930

Silver Subscribed

Apr 16, 2017
    vancouver
    I'm going to order as soon as they open. My usual go to place for Chinese is too far for take out. But Christmas Eve and New Years is their busiest days for take out. Want to be in the que early on, in case its a busy night for the new restaurant.

23. max930

Silver Subscribed

Apr 16, 2017
    vancouver
    And the Chinese place is busy. An hour and ten minute wait for take out.

24. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Time to whip something up at the last minute!

We're doing shrimp scampi. Assuming the shrimp ever defrost!

T

max930 likes this.
  25. max930

Silver Subscribed

Apr 16, 2017
    vancouver
    I ordered and early........................ Looking forward to the meal. Ordered wonton soup and several reviews online say they have excellent wonton. They are kind of known for it, I guess.

tomc likes this.