What's For Dinner? | Page 611 | FerrariChat

What's For Dinner?

Discussion in 'Drink, Smoke, and Fine Dining' started by agup48, Apr 7, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. BrettC

BrettC Formula 3

Aug 13, 2012
    Calif
    Full Name:
    Brett
  2. I.T. Guy

I.T. Guy F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 17, 2004
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Jason
    TexasF355F1 and BrettC like this.
  3. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Looks kinda like a tuna tartare?

How's Puerto Vallarta? We took our last cruise on the Mexican Riviera, abs PV looked like a cool town. The cabs were the same color as my California!

T

4. BrettC

BrettC Formula 3

Aug 13, 2012
    Calif
    Full Name:
    Brett
    Hey T, tuna tartare yes, on a bed of chopped avocado, red onions, jalapeno with a chili oil and sesame seeds on top. Really good. PV has much to love. Friendly people, great restaurants and super street food for $3 a meal. Missus not up to it last night so I had street tacos. 2 maw (beef lips) 2 cabesa (brain) and 2 bistec ( called asada in the usa). Pretty good for approx 5 bucks. Gotta love mex food. Wish I could eat it all the time but too much fat and carbs!

tomc likes this.
  5. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Cool. That sounds really tasty, especially the chili oil. I need to read up on making that.
    I'm trying to up my chili pepper game next growing season. I have a few plants I am going
    to try and over-winter. This year I have been drying chili peppers and then making into a powder.
    Dried crushed jalapenos were a tad wimpy. Dried crushed pequins are more zippy.

I've not seen a place here that does lips! Cheek meat, cabeza, skin (chicherones), but beef lips would be a
    new one for me.

Enjoy your trip...T

6. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    Do they do lobster tacos?

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

7. SoCal1

SoCal1 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 14, 2011
    SoCal LA/OC/New Mexico
    Full Name:
    Tim Dee
    Been a while since I posted here so here for All Y' All

Hamburger :)

With home made blue cheese from my cave in New Mexico!! Had to punch a Bear in the mouth to get to it he was wandering around in the cave. Told him next time I was going to plook him and he left. rrrrrrrrr

Anyway blue cheese with Fish Sauce w Thai chili peppers over Spinach

Dang was that yummy
    Had a canoli for desert but that went to fast to take a pic

XOXO

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

8. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    To quote Wayne and Garth "We are not worthy!"

T

SoCal1 likes this.
  9. slm

slm F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 5, 2004
    Near Lambeau field
    Full Name:
    Steve M
    Best holiday (or any time) dinner ever!!!! We did the obligatory turkey dinner for thanksgiving, but try and have great food for the whole weekend. Tonight was our daily favorite. Venison loins marinated in Korean BBQ. Brushed lightly on the grill with mango jalapeño BBQ and the served with the mango BBQ or (my personal fav.) cranberry sauce. Sides are braised cabbage. Glazed Sweet Potatoes with Maple Balsamic Gastrique Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

10. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    You had me at mango jalapeño bbq!
    I love sweet heat sauces!

T

wax likes this.
  11. BrettC

BrettC Formula 3

Aug 13, 2012
    Calif
    Full Name:
    Brett
    Yes they actually run a special right now...3 lobster tacos with a beer for 150 pesos ($7.50)

wax likes this.
  12. arizonaitalian

arizonaitalian F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming
    Speaking of low smoke, I had an interesting, improvised smoke cook this weekend. I set out to do my new normal with a prime grade NY strip of "smoke on 220F until 120, then sear in cast iron".

But, then I got hungry and had some salad after I started smoking and realized I would not be hungry when the beef was done...so, I turned the smoke temp down to 160F and let it smoke for hours until it got to around 115F. Then pulled it and stuck it in a Tupperware in the fridge to eat the next day. I bet it was on the smoke for 3 hours or thereabouts.

The next day I took it out, heated up the cast iron with butter and evoo and seared the beef. It took forever to get up to temp (I took it directly from the fridge). I would say nearly 20 minutes and it got one helluva crust on it.

Verdict? It was fantastic. I used a proprietary rub from a butcher down in Scottsdale that I had the bit of laying around, then all that smoke, then a hard-sear++ to a super crust (check out the color of that crust from the long smoke and hard, long sear). Still medium inside though. This thing had so much smokey flavor and aroma, and huge kick from the pink-sea-salt based rub and then the beefy prime grade yumminess. So...it was an experiment and I'm undecided on whether I would do it again...but it was different.

(the cut was well over a pound, so I had half last night and will finish the other half ala microwave tonight)

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

wax, bernieb, BrettC and 2 others like this.
  13. arizonaitalian

Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming
    #15263 arizonaitalian, Nov 29, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2020
    wow guys, those burgers all look amazing and that venison meal? Wow. Hungry reading for sure lately here...

14. arizonaitalian

Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming
    Burger battle week seems to have broken out. Nicely done gents!

Winner: Best use of grilled cheese skirt

Winner: Most creative burger (and we await your bear-burger next time)

Winner: Picture Perfect Burger

BrettC and tomc like this.
  15. arizonaitalian

Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming
    Honestly I fully believe "Best holiday (or any time) dinner ever!!!"

That looks simply world-class. Did you come up with the recipes and pairings or find inspiration from a chef or ?

I would love to try that, but just looking at it, I'm thinking its well above my skillz.

16. SoCal1

SoCal1 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 14, 2011
    SoCal LA/OC/New Mexico
    Full Name:
    Tim Dee

I tell you burger week for the Fchat folks LOVE IT !!!!

17. NbyNW

NbyNW F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nice, big time extra points for home made blue cheese.

18. NbyNW

NbyNW F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

^ Burgers... I picked up some D’Artagnon wagyu ground beef from the local butcher / grocery last week, but we have so much leftover from Turkey day I can’t grill it yet. Sometime soon! Those burgers you guys made look so good.

arizonaitalian likes this.
  19. slm

slm F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 5, 2004
    Near Lambeau field
    Full Name:
    Steve M
    This is the easiest good meal you will ever make!!! I have been making venison for a long time. I love it and the whole family loves it. Over time I have realized a bit of what works and what does not. A few years ago while at Disney, we went to Jiko and I and one of my sons had Elk loin. They paired it with root veggies so that was a bit of inspiration.

Braised cabbage is simple. Cut up cabbage and sauté in a pan. A little butter or bacon fat adds a nice touch.

Venison loins are pretty easy. Theses were marinated overnight, but you don’t have to. I grill it like a steak - medium rare to medium depending on preference. I use a meat thermometer to get it just right. I usually shoot for 135 (more medium) and let them rest for a couple of minutes. Avoid overcooking the meat if possible. Darn near any sauce with a little sweet will be a nice accompaniment.

We make a lot of sweet potatoes, but usually cut into pieces and roasted in the oven. This was the first time I made sweet potatoes this way and it rocked!!! My wife and kids loved it. Very easy. https://freshharvest.co/2020/11/18/glazed-sweet-potatoes-with-maple-balsamic-gastrique/

Give it all a try.

arizonaitalian, NbyNW and tomc like this.
  20. NbyNW

NbyNW F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

And AzIt has that elk refuge close to him so elk shouldn’t be a problem to recreate that Disney experience!

arizonaitalian and tomc like this.
  21. BrettC

BrettC Formula 3

Aug 13, 2012
    Calif
    Full Name:
    Brett
    #15271 BrettC, Nov 29, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2020
    My son, Kyle, dehydrated red and green serranos and thai chili's from this years crop. Lottsa hot around here. good for chasing the bugs and covid away. Problem is I think I have gained the covid 15 ......lb

tomc and NbyNW like this.
  22. Frank_C

Frank_C F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2004
    Whistling through the wheat field in Texas
    Full Name:
    Frank Cavallo
    NbyNW likes this.
  23. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Nice! Crushed, dried piquin peppers have had a nice zip to it. Also, being flakes makes it easier to dose in the desired heat level.

Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Bean burritos from other night.

Last few days I've been using our final peppers - jalapeño and Calabrian - in cocktails. Most were not fully mature, but our first freeze is on the way, so I picked them.

Calabrian pepper rum pineapple smash. Looked better when it was fizzy and icy!

Fish tacos. Mahi. Onions. Cumin, S and P, garlic powder. Topped mine Wythe the last fresh jalapeño of the season.

T

BrettC and Frank_C like this.
  24. slm

slm F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 5, 2004
    Near Lambeau field
    Full Name:
    Steve M
  25. BrettC

BrettC Formula 3

Aug 13, 2012