What's For Dinner? | Page 579 | FerrariChat

What's For Dinner?

Discussion in 'Drink, Smoke, and Fine Dining' started by agup48, Apr 7, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    That's a big honking rib eye! Did you ever live in western PA? The only people I know who like/heard of Rolling Rock were from western PA.
    Butler, Erie, etc.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Pork chops from a few nights ago. Biggest change in our pandemic eating - snce we hardly ever used to go out - is that we've indulged more in comfort foods like Shake N Bake, Mac n Cheese, etc.
    Kraft Mac N Cheese to go with. Not the off-brand crud we ate as urchins.
    We've moved up to the big time! ;)
    Linzer cookies 2.0. This time I put in a little cinnamon powder and lemon oil.
    Used a rolling pin to get them thinner than last time. Although not gonna lie, they were not uniform in thickness.
    Cornbread to go with leftover chili.
    See if you can guess which were a tad thinner than the others.
    Final product with no-sugar added strawberry jam. Yummy post-dinner dolce with some industrial
    strength decaf cold brew.
    T

TexasF355F1 likes this.
  2. BrettC

BrettC Formula 3

Aug 13, 2012
    Calif
    Full Name:
    Brett
    aw...I thought it was duck fat....rules!!!!

TexasF355F1 and tomc like this.
  3. BrettC

BrettC Formula 3

Aug 13, 2012
    Calif
    Full Name:
    Brett
    Here is my Meyer Lemon planted 2019 fall...probably around august. Produced 50+ lemons first year...made lots of Lemoncello that turned out really nice. Just took this pic...sorry dark and smoky here in N cal. Should get at least another 50+ around Christmas which is our time of ripening, along with the best oranges you'll ever get. Image Unavailable, Please Login

NbyNW and tomc like this.
  4. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Roughly how tall is the pictured tree?
    Hard to get an idea of scale from the pic.
    Thanks.
    T

5. Frank_C

Frank_C F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2004
    Whistling through the wheat field in Texas
    Full Name:
    Frank Cavallo
    #14455 Frank_C, Sep 10, 2020
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 10, 2020
    No Tom. Actually I got two "tails" and left the eye. My wife and I now can't eat a full steak any more. She cut out the tail and ate the eye, I did the opposite.

I love Rolling Rock as does Tony Soprano (on season 5, rewatching it)............can't remember when I first drank it. Prolly during their first go around in the 90s.

Used to drink Molson Golden Ale back in HS on The Island. Used to be $3.05 a six pack....always kept nickels in the ashtray of my car. Back in college smokes were $1.05 in the venting machines so I still kept my nickels.......

tomc likes this.
  6. BrettC

BrettC Formula 3

Aug 13, 2012
    Calif
    Full Name:
    Brett
    I'd say 4-5ft max in height. Bought the tree at costco and it has done quite well. Voracious eaters...need to heavily fertilize after crop is picked for about 4 months then cut back to medium amounts till Sept or so....then water till harvest. Not that I am a green thumb or anything close but was advised to do it by a grower friend. Cheers!

tomc likes this.
  7. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    That's proper.

Forget growing from seed, kids!

Meyers or any Citrus Absolutely Need The Right Rootstock For Region.

For example - Arizona Navels Need A Particular Sour Rootstock. Different than that where BrettC is, let alone San Joaquin Valley in CA. Be that as it may, the right combo delivers sweetness to your uh, Navels.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

8. max930

max930 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 16, 2017
    vancouver
  9. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Max is back! Scallops and pics. Still not brave enough to order out anything that can't be recooked @ home.

Cheap Kroger steaks. $5/lb but they were bone-in rib eyes.
    Better than the Costco prime top sirloins IMO. Wife disagreed. Dog doesn't care as long as it is char-grilled beef.
    Served with homemade pinto beans.
    T

I.T. Guy and max930 like this.
  10. arizonaitalian

arizonaitalian Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming
    BrettC, NbyNW, max930 and 1 other person like this.
  11. max930

Silver Subscribed

Apr 16, 2017
    vancouver
    All this meat.......... Think I'll pick up T-bones at the co op store for tonight.

arizonaitalian likes this.
  12. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    So, this contraption grills & smokes at the same time? Nice mahogany color on those meats.

Haven't really liked the seasoning on my Matfer since I goofed and cooked something with tomatoes in it. So, back to the drawing board. Gave it a good scrubbing. Then sautéed peels of 3 medium sized potatoes, 2/3 cup of coarse salt, 1/3 cup of canola oil. 20 mins or so on medium-high heat. Think I needed more oil since I have a larger skillet.
    Before
    After

OK. So now I have three peeled taters.
    And, some duck fat! Time for duck fat home fries!
    Could have done a better job browning them, but I wimped out when it started smoking!
    Didn't want the smoke alarm to go off.

Leftover ribeye to go with.

And enough home fries leftover for breakfast tomorrow.

T

NbyNW and arizonaitalian like this.
  13. arizonaitalian

arizonaitalian Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming
    Like the typical pellet smoker, it can go from around 160F to 450F range. It has a big heat deflector/shield to keep any direct heat from hitting the food. So its primarily a smoker, but it does turn up and burn wood pellets to cook something at higher temps (like the chicken I did). Supposedly a bunch of Traeger owners have ditched their traditional grill and only use the pellet grill/smoker now. I wasn't convinced it would get hot enough for me...I like to cook some things at 500F. But, I have to say, I don't think I've used my gas grill since I got that pellet grill going.

The cool thing about this smoker is they also make a "side kick" that mounts to the side and has a giant 28,000BTU propane burner that can be used as:

- A regular burner with a cast iron pan or whatever (I have used that to get super hot and reverse sear beef)
    - A heavy cast iron griddle (I used it for bacon recently, there is a post/pic in the breakfast thread)
    - They also sell a little "sear unit" that goes over the burner and essentially makes a small enclosed grill for searing/grilling at high heat
    - And they even sell an "oven" unit that you can put over the burner to bake breads and pizza etc.

I got the sidekick and griddle attachment. I figured I'd pass on the sear unit and the oven since I have a propane grill right next to my smoker anyways. I have to say this little sidekick is one cool backyard cooker.

https://www.campchef.com/sidekick.html?k_cca=prospecting&gclid=CjwKCAjw4_H6BRALEiwAvgfzqwAPgciyeF3P8Kqbm1Awic8tabRBR42Xc3h2bHvwOLQ1v0zwMimmpxoCqL0QAvD_BwE

tomc likes this.
  14. BrettC

BrettC Formula 3

Aug 13, 2012
    Calif
    Full Name:
    Brett
    My Rec Tec pellet grill does over 500. On a hot day it has been at 545 on the temp monitor. Just fyi

15. NbyNW

NbyNW F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

16. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Tasty looking. Are those homemade beans? I think I see some chicken treats for the pooches!
    T

NbyNW likes this.
  17. max930

Silver Subscribed

Apr 16, 2017
    vancouver
    I'm not sure what dinner is tonight. I just polished off a large Oreo Cookie Blizzard from DQ. Not hungry.

18. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    You're my hero! If I ate a whole large blizzard, I'd be full for a month!

Good Lord, what a crappy pic! It's fish fry season in Texas. Local Volunteer Fire Departments hold fish fries to raise funds. The wife and I like supporting these small town VFDs in the towns we pass through on our drives.

This one was drive-through due to the pandemic. Being a Nervous Nelly, I heated it at 350 F for 10 min when we got home. The fries were very good, a bit of spice to them. Ditto the hush puppies, which were not as blackened as my bad iPhone pic might suggest. Even the fish was good with a big jolt of Tabasco.

T

19. Frank_C

Frank_C F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2004
    Full Name:
    Frank Cavallo
    arizonaitalian and NbyNW like this.
  20. BrettC

BrettC Formula 3

Aug 13, 2012
    Calif
    Full Name:
    Brett
    arizonaitalian and NbyNW like this.
  21. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    And a dozen roses, plus a pineapple!
    Great job.

Spatchcock chicken on the grill.
    Used a heavy knife and kitchen shears.
    Removed a few more of the breast bones and cartilage. So, I may have gone a bit beyond spatchcock-ing towards butterflying. Seasoned lightly with salt and pepper.

After grilling them a few minutes direct, it was easier to handle by separating the leg quarters from the rest of the carcass.
    Took about 1 hr to cook. Used the Ranch Kettle, so I had room to move them in and out of the direct fire. Fire was oak and charcoal.

Came out a tad more blackened than I was aiming for. But, we don't eat chicken skin, and most of the char was confined to the skin. Wasn't dried out at all. Served it with a little Jamaican jerk dipping sauce that a friend made.

T

22. NbyNW

NbyNW F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Store bought bean - Bush's Vegetarian version I think. Tasty. Yep, always chicken treats for the girls!

tomc likes this.
  23. Frank_C

Frank_C F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2004
    Full Name:
    Frank Cavallo
    NbyNW and arizonaitalian like this.
  24. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
  25. max930

Silver Subscribed

Apr 16, 2017
    vancouver
    Ended up making Kirkland pesto linguine with some scallops tossed in. Tonight is going to be Chinese with the whole family.