What's For Dinner? | Page 493 | FerrariChat

What's For Dinner?

Discussion in 'Drink, Smoke, and Fine Dining' started by agup48, Apr 7, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Frank_C

Frank_C F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2004
    Whistling through the wheat field in Texas
    Full Name:
    Frank Cavallo
    tomc, arizonaitalian and NbyNW like this.
  2. arizonaitalian

arizonaitalian F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming
    just saw this...oh yeah, we had some when in krakow recently. Ania loves the things. She makes some each year too for Fat Tuesday (although she couldn’t this year as she was working nights and sleeping days at that time).

3. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    I suspected she might! They were good. Had the last one with two espressi for breakfast yesterday morning.
    T

arizonaitalian likes this.
  4. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Borracho beans 2.0! Man, what a mess I made, but they came out much better IMO.

Changes = more cumin, snuck in a little cayenne, started from dry pintos, more bacon, kept the beans and the veg separated into later in the process, used the liquid from cooking the beans to remove all that yummy fond from the frying pan. Next time, I'll just need to soften up the beans a tad more (we were out for a longer than expected drive) and it'll be ready for prime time.

Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Smoked tri tip and onions.
    Street taco.

T

5. arizonaitalian

Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming
    nice. The "most traditional" one is wild rose petal flavored marmalade. They sound a bit "hmmm", but are pretty much "yummm".

Ania just told me to add that her grandmother would actually pick the rose petals and make the marmalade from scratch by mixing the petals with sugar for "hours". Needless to say today's Polish Bakers (well, my Polish baker anyways) buy their filling pre-made :D

6. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Wild rose jam?!? Never heard of that.
    Amazon has some!

Grandma's are old school like that, they don't fool around! Our roses are starting to bloom. But, the major bloom is likely a month or two off. Of course, I know our roses have no chemical treatment.

Found this online...

"Place rose petals in a stone mortar or makutra.

Slowly pour in the sugar and use the pestle to crush the petals together with the sugar. The juice in the petals will gradually blend with the sugar to form a deep red paste. No further cooking is needed.

The jam can be preserved in sterilised glass jars for up to 2 years."

https://www.sbs.com.au/food/recipes/rose-petal-jam

T

7. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
  8. arizonaitalian

Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming
    Ania has been working a lot of nights, so I’ve been on my own for dinner a bunch lately...

There’s a pub below our flat that fancies itself a bit more “foody” than the typical pub. I have tried to eat here several times, but get turned away as it’s always full. They finally had a spot for me tonight and I had;

- Bavette steak with sauce Diane
    - BIG chips
    - broccoli
    - a cote du Rhône red

Pretty darn good. (I was craving steak...I just don’t have it nearly as often here as I did in the western USA where my grill always at the ready).

NbyNW likes this.
  9. max930

max930 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 16, 2017
    vancouver
    Got bored with salad. Did some banking and beside the bank, just so happens there's a Japanese restaurant. Got my usual, ate the rolls before remembering to take pic. This place was pretty good, so far best in town. Sliced their sashimi pretty thick. I'll be back. Image Unavailable, Please Login

10. Frank_C

Frank_C F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2004
    Full Name:
    Frank Cavallo
    arizonaitalian and TexasF355F1 like this.
  11. arizonaitalian

Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming
    I sorta hate salmon and still had to "like" that post...those look great!

12. arizonaitalian

Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming
    #12312 arizonaitalian, Mar 4, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2020
    max with the high quality pic! Its gotta be a sign of the apocalypse!

I miss sushi...should eat it more...and, contrary to what I posted above about salmon, your pic reminded me that I like raw salmon...just don't like it cooked.

13. arizonaitalian

Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming
    If you saw my recent lunch post with a killer Reuben with pastrami, you noticed I said I'll be going back. Well, it took me all of 5 hours to make it back there!

Ania saw the pic of what I had and it triggered a big craving for her...so we went back to Monty's Deli. She got the same sandwich and I ventured to another spot called Gopaul's Corner. Gopaul's is the namesake of a very good, very "hot" Malay place called Roti King that I posted about back in April 2018. This is his second venture in the same "food hall" as Monty's. And...the food was freaking amazing. Wow this was good. Here is what we had:

- The Reuben with very smokey pastrami (as much smoke as any brisket sandwich I've had in Texas or anywhere)

- A "banana leaf meal" with Chicken Randang, daal and veggies, spinach, poporudum, and fantastic rice, even the mint chutney was amazing. The daal/veggies was perhaps the most "wow, this reminds me of what I ate in India" taste of anything I've had in any Indian restaurant anywhere (ya...I know this place is "Malay")

- 2 freshly made, light, fluffy Roti with a bowl of chicken curry made heavy with coconut milk (apologies for the blurry pic - it was dark and I was hungry, so I must have moved my hand while the pic was still in process)

The two dishes from Gopaul's were so good. Literally each element on the plate got a "whoa" when we tasted them. This guy is GOOD.

The sandwich was also amazing...so we had two of the tastiest things ever in this meal. The food hall was packed, 100% full. There are also a taco place (rare in London), a burger place, a kebab place and a couple of others. I will be going back to try them all...

NbyNW likes this.
  14. max930

Silver Subscribed

Apr 16, 2017
    vancouver
    I don't mind cooked salmon, but would rather have it raw. The native Indians sell their salmon catch direct to the public here. $10 uncleaned per fish. Its cheap. Family friends wife is a Japanese and knows how to make sushi. I'm thinking about buying some salmon this summer and inviting them over. Have her teach me how to make sashimi.

15. Frank_C

Frank_C F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2004
    Full Name:
    Frank Cavallo
    Be careful. Even though sashimi grade salmon is flash frozen it is much safer than fresh caught fish- parasites.

Fresh fish is best cooked.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

tomc and max930 like this.
  16. NbyNW

NbyNW F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Clicking the Like button is so inadequate.

17. max930

Silver Subscribed

Apr 16, 2017
    vancouver
    Was craving curly fries...….. Got curly fries and roast beef gyro. Now I remember why Arby's went bankrupt the last time they operated here. Yuck! Image Unavailable, Please Login

18. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    I'm not gonna lie Max, that looks gross.

Inspired by AzIt's posts, we made Indian tonight. Garlic and ginger paste, Pakistani masala, bay leaf, onions, celery, tomato, coconut curry sauce, brown lentils, chicken, chicken broth.

Fresh cooked tortillas.

T

arizonaitalian and NbyNW like this.
  19. NbyNW

NbyNW F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

20. arizonaitalian

Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming
    yuck indeed. Arby's is not meant for actual consumption.

Even seeing Arby's ("Barfy's" was its name where I come from) is making me ill...can we get a mod to delete the pic in Max's post?

Come-on Max, be more careful with your new-found camera powers :D

tomc likes this.
  21. arizonaitalian

Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming
    sheesh, some serious chef'in going on there...that's a serious plate o' food there...well done!

How about some details on making that stuffed zucchini...I gotta try that...makes a veggie actually look good to eat (and not just good for you).

NbyNW and max930 like this.
  22. arizonaitalian

Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming
    Ordered some flat iron steaks as part of my first try of amazon fresh. They were only "okay" cuts of beef. Cooked in cast iron and served with asparagus (Ania made hollandaise again). Not a bad dinner, drank a Rioja.

SCFerrari likes this.
  23. NbyNW

NbyNW F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

I’ll ask the wife... they were really good.

24. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    I stopped paying attention at Meyer lemon. Is that an outside tree, indoor plant or what?
    T

25. NbyNW

NbyNW F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Inside during the winter. It and lots of other plants live in the garage/office until it warms up. When we first got it a few years ago it went nuts with lemons, then lost its mojo. It's coming back and has grown to about 5' tall. Eight lemons on it now, probably ready in a couple months.

We got a lime tree over the holidays. It looked great, then my wife thought I was watering it, and I thought she was watering it. Trying to revive it with grow lights.

The lemon plant/tree:

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

tomc and arizonaitalian like this.