What's a good, actually sorted Mondial REALLY worth? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

What's a good, actually sorted Mondial REALLY worth?

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by davemqv, Apr 1, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. M. Brandon Motorcars

Sponsor

Sep 4, 2007
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Michael Foertsch
    I've started a thread, saying that I'm looking for a great Mondial 3.2 coupe.

I also started another thread talking about my recently acquired a euro QV coupe, how much I've fallen in love with the car. It needed some minor sorting, but it's now fabulous. In fact, it's sitting in my home garage right now; I can't stop driving it.

But I really want a 3.2 coupe. And I'm willing to pay up for a good one: a well-maintained low(er) mileage car, especially in red/tan.

2. bigeasy

bigeasy Formula Junior

Dec 31, 2012
    An old friend from school got into the used car business and was doing very well for himself, his motto was " there's an ass for every car seat"

3. bencollins

bencollins Karting

May 30, 2015
    Whaplode, Lincs, UK
    Full Name:
    Ben Collins
    Dont laugh but the Tesla 3 launch is good for these cars.
    That's a brilliant car, but also a fine foil for something retro like the Mondial.
    The Mondial does retro the right way, reliableish, fast, fun, idiosyncratic, pop up lights, eightiestastic lines, and a horse badge. And 4 proper seats with luggage.
    Happy with mine and will keep it for the next 15 years as a family fun car.

4. bencollins

bencollins Karting

May 30, 2015
    Whaplode, Lincs, UK
    Full Name:
    Ben Collins
    oh and to answer the question $40-60k

5. davemqv

davemqv F1 Rookie

Aug 28, 2014
    USA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Ah of course, right. I was thinking of the automatic. Yeah, I've seen several 3 pedal 456's in the 100k range.

6. davemqv

davemqv F1 Rookie

Aug 28, 2014
    USA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    That's about what i think also, Paul. Slightly higher for top condition cars.

7. davemqv

davemqv F1 Rookie

Aug 28, 2014
    USA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    My vote would be to fix it. It's possible to add rust proofing to the frames of these earlier cars nowadays, right? Some aftermarket coating? That would be my vote. Personally I love the bumpers on the 8's and the QV's. Keep your 8!

8. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Agree 100%

The condition vary so wildly on these cars that it's just so hard to put a 'right' price!

9. alexion

alexion Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2013
    New York
    Let's not forget the Mondial Valeo that sold for $75k USD in the US.

10. MvT

MvT F1 Rookie

May 25, 2013
    The Netherlands - NH
    Full Name:
    Tijn
    In the end of the day it is what you want to pay for someone's Mondial and vica versa. I think that would be the value of that Mondial. IMHO there is not really a real value statement :) asking and getting are still wo different things.

11. 300GW/RO

300GW/RO Formula Junior

Nov 7, 2010
    east end LI
    Full Name:
    Jack

Please describe how (what) & why the Mondial is such a terrific car.....cornering/overall handling/power/looks/etc etc.....not trying to be cynical or other...just would like some specifics. This question is for the board (owners) in general, not directed to anyone in particular. Thank you in advance,

Jack

12. M. Brandon Motorcars

Sponsor

Sep 4, 2007
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Michael Foertsch
    I posted a thread about my experience with my QV Coupe so far:

http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/mondial/516610-i-finally-get-mondial.html

13. 300GW/RO

300GW/RO Formula Junior

Nov 7, 2010
    east end LI
    Full Name:
    Jack
  14. Mondi88

Mondi88 Karting

Aug 4, 2014
    South West, UK
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Jack - one recurring theme amongst us owners is that the Mondial is far more impressive "in the flesh". There's something about the Mondial that doesn't necessarily photograph that well, but stood next to them, they are far more beautiful.
    I've just pulled mine out of 6 months of winter storage and my wife, who isn't really "into cars", said "I'd forgotten how beautiful it looks".
    Almost everyone who has actually seen a Mondial says something similar. Parked up on my drive this weekend, I think she looked 5 times the highest value quoted on this thread :).
    I think that's our owners' shared secret...

15. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    +1000

16. moysiuan

moysiuan F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2005
    Canada
    The prices on other Ferrari's like Boxers and 308's have ratcheted up significantly, and there are lots of not so good condition cars surfacing to catch the updraft. So the differential between ok and great condition cars is not as great as it should be. Same with the Mondial. The fact is a fully sorted, unmolested Mondial with just the right patina is becoming a very scarce item, probably mostly owned by people on Fchat. Looks to me like there are an increasing number of interested buyers, but mostly real enthusiasts who as yet don't wish to/need to pay the premium for the top condition. The collector/flipper crowd seems largely still absent, other than perhaps for the extreme low mileage examples, that often seem to be the t's. Probably skews the average t values up. If the classic market holds up, and that's a big if, the Mondial is on the cusp of a significant, permanent ratchet up. But it is still a thin market, so there are some great deals to be done by those capable of doing the fussy work, beyond the obvious "major" items, on some of the cars that are otherwise looking neglected. I think if/when the collectors get in on things, the 3.2 cabs, and the hard top t's, maybe even the valeos, will get the attention. Unlike some of the other Ferrari's there are no unusual race specials or trim variants or options that are very significant from year to year or in a specific year (other than the "to t or not to t" existential choice), and forgetting the odd looking one off ppg pace car or the beat up Moneytron racers). So all the models will probably converge in value based on condition, with minor variation for colours and maybe some of the euro and right hand drive versions.

I have been doing a bit of work on my father's 1979 Fiat X19, he is the original owner, that is the car that put me on to the euro car themes years ago, and with its wedge look perhaps is why I took to the Mondial styling, and I can't help but think that is a fabulously undervalued classic. Incredible bargains to be had there.

17. drbruno

drbruno Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 23, 2014
    Toronto, ON
    Full Name:
    Dr. Bruno L. Venditt
    Buying a well sorted car will at least 'cap' the immediate expenses. There will always be a bit of work to do on most cars you buy. I purchased a 1989 Mondial t at the end of summer. It was overall, well sorted and the important things were solid. Over the last 6 months I've put a lot of time and finances to bring it to a level where I am happy with (personal choice). I spent $40,000 on the car and put in approximately $15,000 in parts and repairs. I'm happy I did this as I know that everything is sorted. In the end of the day, it's a personal choice of whether you buy a sorted car or one you will sort, but expect to invest in and around the $50-55 K mark once all is said and done.

18. Dizengoff

Dizengoff Formula Junior

Nov 24, 2011
    Chicago
    #43 Dizengoff, Apr 4, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2016
    I complain about my Mondial 3.2 more than anyone on this board. I hate the seats. The instrument console looks stupidly cheap. The electronics are nothing short of total doo-doo. My theory is that it was designed by a group of 8 year olds who, having recently familiarized themselves with Ohm's Law that morning, decided to design the electrical system of an automobile. The fuse board design, however, must've been left to a group of lower primates. It's the only logical explanation.

In spite of this I will say that there is something very enticing about these cars. They don't photograph well...I think I've only seen one or two Mondial photos in my life that really capture the car in a flattering way. In person, and behind the wheel...it's almost impossible to quantify, but they are intoxicating. The smell, the sound of the engine at redline, the feel of the steering. There's just something alluring about them, it's like a Stradivarius violin on wheels. A full sensory experience.

I've often thought about selling mine; it's usually after reading some of the stupid comments that appear on the General Ferrari section of this forum sometimes. I've even got a standing offer.

But my wife and kids insist that I should keep it. So it stays. To be honest I think I would deeply regret selling it. I really don't think I could let it go for less than $70k. It would take that much and more to replace it.

19. godabitibi

godabitibi F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 11, 2012
    Papineauville, Quebec
    Full Name:
    Claude Laforest
    Thanks Dizengoff, it couldn't be explained any better. This is exactly what the car is. Like I've said before you need to own one to apreciate these cars. Once you've own one you know! And if I ever have another one it will be to KEEP.

20. sidtx

sidtx F1 Rookie
    Owner

Feb 9, 2014
    Frisco, Tx
    Full Name:
    Sid
    Where to begin?

Drivetrain - identical to the same year 3x8. Makes wonderful Ferrari sounds. And, in my experience - fairly bullet proof. It's a simple engine system and easy to work on.
    Italian Mid engine V8 - where else are you going to find something as exotic?

Interior - Very comfortable. Much more so than the 3x8 series for us larger guys. I'm not tall, but I'm also not "slim" (5'11 230lbs). I fit in just fine - very comfortable in fact. And, it's easy to get in and out of. No contortions required when entering and exiting.
    Personally, I think the console is well laid out, and I like it better (especially the 80's style idiot light panel) than the 3x8 series. And, don't forget that oh-so-iconic Ferrari Shift gate.

The interior is also large enough for 4 people (for short trips). Recently, I had myself, my wife, adult son, and adult daughter in the car - on a short journey to a car show. Everyone survived without the need for chiropractic services!

Exterior. - Most think of the Mondial as a wedgy car. However, if you look at one, the first thing you see is that the car actually has a beautiful flowing curve at the waist line! Not as pronounced as a 308 or Dino- but very eye catching. And, I think the Coupe accentuates this line. It's a very beautiful car that I think stands up to anything new.

The Cheese Graters are the one thing that either attracts or repels people. Same thing with the Testarossa - you either love them or hate them. Personally, I think they are well integrated into the lines of the car - and I love them. Plus, as I point out to people - they area actually functional - they aren't just decoration. They are there for a valid reason.

And, the rear end is classic Ferrari. There's no mistaking the classic Ferrari shape and tail lights from behind.

And finally, you see very, very few Mondials. I see far more 3x8s, 355s, 360s than I do Mondials. In a year of owning the car, and going to numerous car shows, I've never seen another one.

Driving experience - Great! This car handles and drives great. The previous owner of my car used it for a track instruction car. Think what that means - fast enough to track, yet benign enough to use as an instruction car! I've heard (no confirmation) that the Mondial actually outperforms the 3x8 of the equivalent year on the track due to better handling.

Performance - On a par with other similar supercar/gt cars of it's era. Think 928, Lotus, Corvette, etc. I think Paul has posted a chart showing how the Mondial performs right there with the other supercar/gts of it's era. Of course- compared to a modern sports car (or even something like a Ford Focus RS), the Mondial will fall short. But, we will have more fun, look cooler, and actually be more engaged with the experience in the Mondial.

Costs - For me, very reasonable. However, I do have an adult son whom is a certified auto mechanic. He and I do all the maintenance work on the car. I've had my Mondial for a little over a year. I bought her with 67K well documented miles. And I have had very few problems over the year of driving (about 1000 miles this first year). There were only 2 biggies - a weeping fuel line (replace with fuel line from autozone for less then $20), and a my alternator died (rebuilt at a local alternator shop for $113).

I have put other money into the car for routine maintenance - nothing large
    Oil and Trans fluid change - $150
    Air filter - $50
    Lift struts for all hoods - $150 (there are 6 of them).
    Battery - $100
    Wood Steering Wheel - $400 (the original Momo was fine, I just like the look of wood)
    Interior Redye - Leatherique Kit $350
    New Power Antenna - $65 from Autozone (strangely, an exact replacement).
    New Speakers - $100
    AC Recharge - $100 for the refrigerant.

Upcoming expenses -
    New Tires - $400
    Timing Belt / Service Kit (next year) $1500

Overall, the car has been fantastic. I try to drive it at least once a week, and try to make as many car shows (plus Cars and Coffee) as I can. I love the car, and don't ever plan on getting rid of it. I may acquire other Ferraris someday, such as a white 86 Testarossa, but I will always keep the Mondial.

Sid

21. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    #46 paulchua, Apr 5, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Excellent Post SID!!!! I'm going to ride on your coattails...

nuff said - you like the 3X8? well the Mondial has the same drivetrain.

Every article I've read has said the Mondial's out handle the 308,328 (when not driven at the limit) I concede on the track the 308,328 are the better choices. I only track once a year, so Mondial's confidence inspiring handling settings are a bonus for me. There is a thread here where I post article after article that reiterates my assertion.

Charts below, I've posted these all on Wikipedia. I also made sure to put sources from a major car publications (when available) for accuracy (read: I didn't quote a 0-60 from Joe Schmoe's Website)

if you want a link to the actual articles/test that yield the results - just visit
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ferrari_Mondial
    and click on the footnote number in the source column - I have it linked to the article so you can verify these numbers yourself if you have any doubt!

As you can see, evidence shows the Mondial at best beats cars of the epoch at worse is in the same league, when you see a lazy derivative article that talks about the 'slow' Mondial - realize its a myth - charts with sources below to prove it.

Enjoy!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

22. Statler

Statler F1 World Champ

Jun 7, 2011
    I wonder how many change hands quietly.

One of the people who offered me 40 last year recently offered me 50. She's still not for sale. The person saw her at Competizione during service.

23. 300GW/RO

300GW/RO Formula Junior

Nov 7, 2010
    east end LI
    Full Name:
    Jack

Such great descriptions & thanks to the respondents. Eastern LI weather has not been fully cooperative in allowing me to drive my new to me '90 Mondial 3.2 cab #86734 Blue Sera/Tan 20k miles....thus the ask. Bought car from Doug Pirrone Berlinetta Motorsports; one owner (Heller) with e/o major plus "going thru" to address any issues plus new tires. One challenging item was suspension dash light not turning-off w/c after much sleuthing proved to be an ecu shock sensor needing to be replaced (was a thread started here seeking help as this seems to be a common problem with many potential causes). Car has all books/records/tools along with Tubi exhaust and a k40 r.d. w/c we decided to leave rather than potentially creating another electrical 'gremlin' during the disconnect, lol.

Now that car is ready, waiting for roads to clear of salt etc so that I can take her 'round the block myself. I did not get to drive extensively before purchase (belts! engine service! risk!) so I have been pleased to hear the collective owners' praise, thanks again. Pics of car may still be on Berlinetta's website under cars for sale...I have not checked recently.....but I must agree that pics do not do this car justice at all; really so much 'more' when standing beside.

Hope to add more in near future,

Jack