458 - What's a fair (pandemic) offer for this car? | Page 6 | FerrariChat

458 What's a fair (pandemic) offer for this car?

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by ModerateMike, Apr 10, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. AlfistaPortoghese

AlfistaPortoghese Moderator
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2014
    Europe, but not by much.
    Full Name:
    Nuno
    Ha ha I knew you’d get me, Mike!

I’ll be very interested in your review of the 458, after owning an F430. I never owned an F430, the last Ferrari I had before the 458 was a 575M F1, but some say it’s night and day. I’ve been inside an F430, and at least in terms of cockpit design and quality, it surely seems there’s a 20 year gap between them.

Don’t know if you speak italian:

But renowned journalist Davide Cironi said: “dopo la 458, guidare la 430 è come guidare la Panda del nonno”, loosely translated by me in this fashion: “after tasting the 458, going back to drive the 430 is like driving your grandfather’s Fiat Panda”.

Once you take delivery of your 458, I’ll be curious to know if you agree wholeheartedly or if you strongly disagree.

Kindest regards,

Nuno.

barkanddex likes this.
  2. AlfistaPortoghese

Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2014
    Europe, but not by much.
    Full Name:
    Nuno
    But once you’ve bought the Spider and not an Italia, here goes a little virtual present:

The last car of its kind:

Vicky:

Stelvio Pass:

Kind regards,

Nuno.

3. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    #128 paulchua, Apr 14, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2020
    Well said, congratulations Mike!
    I agree that a stealership doesn't have some unique a heads I win tails you lose paradigm. I think we were just shocked (actually many were not) that @noone1 said he would have no sympathy for a person that lost their life and business to COVID-19 and had to liquidate.

I'm not saying one can't profit from this turmoil, God knows I've benefited from other's misfortune (I own several dead man's cars) - just that I don't dance on their graves and laugh at their widows.

Jo Sta7 and MANDALAY like this.
  4. noone1

noone1 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 21, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Mike
    #129 noone1, Apr 14, 2020
    Stand by my statement. If you're ever desperate to sell a $200K Ferrari then you shouldn't have owned it in the first place.

Who said anything about delighting in the financial loss of others? "Pandemic pricing" doesn't even necessarily imply personal financial distress. It implies demand evaporating.

And oh yes, I have plenty of sympathy for those who lost someone/something in this, however forgive me for not caring about the monetary loss on something that is more or less widely known and understood to be an excessive and depreciating asset. Am I supposed to feel bad some rapper had to sell his ridiculously big diamond chain too now that all his concerts are canceled?

5. Tamahal

Tamahal Formula Junior

Mar 8, 2019
    Full Name:
    TAMAHAL
    totally agree!!!

barkanddex and ModerateMike like this.
  6. AlfistaPortoghese

Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2014
    Europe, but not by much.
    Full Name:
    Nuno
    I also agree with Mike in that regard.

Just like to add that at the end of the day, when we look back and if we’re all fortunate enough to experience an epiphany, we’ll all realize that it wasn’t all about what we’ve paid for any given Ferrari, but rather what the car gave us in return: the smiles, the memories, the landscapes, the thrills, the stories, the people we’ve met, the friends we’ve made and the time we’ve been fortunate enough to spend with them.

In my humble opinion, a Ferrari always gives more than it takes away from you. A 458 even more so.

Kindest regards,

Nuno.

johnr265 and barkanddex like this.
  7. ModerateMike

ModerateMike Rookie

Jul 21, 2017
    NC
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Io non parlo italiano, but that is the $100k question, isn't it? There's no doubt that the performance and interior are far superior to the 430. But I have a bad habit of getting attached to cars and keeping them for too long. As 430s go, this is a nice specimen!
    [​IMG] Image Unavailable, Please Login

8. ModerateMike

ModerateMike Rookie

Jul 21, 2017
    NC
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I was just telling Nuno that I have a bad habit of growing attached to cars and keeping them for long. And I am particularly fond of our 430... all blacked out with a Capristo exhaust. Our plan is to keep it for a year before making any decisions. Here is one of the glamour shots of the 458. I'm FedExing the paperwork back in the morning. Who knows how long shipping will take.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

9. Tamahal

Tamahal Formula Junior

Mar 8, 2019
    Full Name:
    TAMAHAL
    looks amazing !!! I also use to have a F430 (2009) and now i have a 458 (2010). Its amazing where the technology has gone. The 458 is a total different beast, its smooth, refined, sophisticated and fast!!!!!!! But i loved my F430, it was loud , raw, and gave a lot of feedback, you felt like you were going fast all the time. Unfortunately i totaled my F430 :(, and i moved on to the 458. Looking back the 458 is a better car, for me. I think its that fine line between that raw old Ferrari feel, and modern Ferrari technology.... though i will be in the market for a F355 in the near future to complement the 458. :)

barkanddex likes this.
  10. AlfistaPortoghese

Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2014
    Europe, but not by much.
    Full Name:
    Nuno
    #135 AlfistaPortoghese, Apr 14, 2020
    Well Mike, as far as bad habits go, that’s probably one of the very best.

Everytime I see photos of your car, I feel the need to congratulate you on your choice, even though I must’ve done that a thousand times already. Not being a fan of red Ferraris, yours is not a joy just for you, but for me as well.

Not many people would take on a black or grey Ferrari. Non red Ferraris are somewhat of an acquired taste. I think at some point or another, we all end up owning a red one. In my case, I got over it pretty quickly.

I’m entangled in an unprecedented love affair with the 458, the likes of which I have never experienced with another car, and I’ve driven other, more powerful cars, on a regular basis. The 458 fulfills me, in the sense that not only it gives me everything I ever expected to feel behind the wheel and then some, but it also gives me sensory thrills I never thought existed or dared to long for. So take my words with a pinch of salt.

Kindest regards,

Nuno.

ModerateMike, barkanddex and Tamahal like this.
  11. Tamahal

Tamahal Formula Junior

Mar 8, 2019
    Full Name:
    TAMAHAL

Agreed on the color! The Grigio Silverstone is an amazing color. My F430 was Pozzi Blu (amazing color) but my 458 is red (had to have it in red). Sorry didn't mean to jump in on your convo with mike. :)

barkanddex and AlfistaPortoghese like this.
  12. AlfistaPortoghese

Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2014
    Europe, but not by much.
    Full Name:
    Nuno
    Not at all, Tamahal. Always a pleasure to hear from you! I’ve never seen a Blu F430 in the flesh, but in V12 country, Blu over Crema is one of my favorite color combos, so I’m sure your F430 is nothing short of amazing!

Kind regards,

Nuno.

barkanddex likes this.
  13. Tamahal

Tamahal Formula Junior

Mar 8, 2019
    Full Name:
    TAMAHAL
    Ya its a great color. I wanted something different from my first Ferrari and i though it would be a bit less conspicuous ( i was wrong ). It looks good on a F430, more so than on a 458, to me....

barkanddex and AlfistaPortoghese like this.
  14. ridege55

ridege55 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 9, 2017
    Manhattan Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    John
    AlfistaPortoghese and paulchua like this.
  15. ModerateMike

ModerateMike Rookie

Jul 21, 2017
    NC
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I love that 458... something about those wheels on black!

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

16. Graz

Graz Formula 3

Oct 15, 2012
    New Jersey and Florida
    Full Name:
    Graziano
    Wheels on the 458 look great John. Who makes them?

17. ridege55

ridege55 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 9, 2017
    Manhattan Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    John
  18. AlfistaPortoghese

Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2014
    Europe, but not by much.
    Full Name:
    Nuno
    One of the nicest, most striking modifications I’ve seen on a 458. Congratulations are indeed in order, John!

Kind regards,

Nuno.

ridege55 likes this.
  19. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    Low risk /high yield. Where I come from that is called an oxymoron.

20. barkanddex

barkanddex Rookie

Apr 11, 2020
    Full Name:
    Natalie
    Truth is, although Mike may not admit it, I saw a 458 Grigio Silverstone at a Ferrari event a few years ago. And fell in LOVE. Not as much as with my husband mind you, but it was seriously stunning. So I talked him into it. And the black wheels. His choices were the 430 and me (both stunning btw); these were mine. Haha!
    I love a non red Ferrari. Something about the unexpected, I guess. All the colors are brilliant tho. Thanks all for the replies. Hope you are all staying well.

21. PTG1

PTG1 Formula Junior

Oct 7, 2017
    UK
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Dm sent

22. AlfistaPortoghese

Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2014
    Europe, but not by much.
    Full Name:
    Nuno
    As your husband. (I’ve got your back, Mike!) :D

Kind regards,

Nuno.

paulchua, ModerateMike and barkanddex like this.
  23. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    #148 paulchua, Apr 17, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2020
    Many rich have fallen on hard times and needed to liquidate, what does it matter if the item of clearance is NYSE:RACE vs. Ferrari? Non sequitur.

You did; multiple times.

@Solid State said folks that died from Covid-19 and those left behind had to liquidate assets should be afforded some sensitivity.

Your response? (your words not mine) "They F'ed up." You follow up by sarcastic hypothetical:

Unlike you Mike, I hold the same standards of empathy toward anyone that dies from Covid-19 regardless if they are 'rich' or 'poor.'

If your hypothetical 'rich rapper' with a gold chain died from Covid-19 and canceled all his concerts and his wife had to liquidate his 'Rari.'

Would I buy it? Sure! - but like I said earlier, unlike you, I don't dance on his grave, say he 'F-ed' up (your words, not mine.) Nor would I automatically say he was inherently irresponsible to the point of saying there is NO possible reality (again your words, not mine) said rapper could have been fiscally responsible.

Death and major illness have thrown wrenches in some very conservative businesses.

Case in point?

Enzo Ferrari's dad himself.

24. noone1

noone1 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 21, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Mike
    #149 noone1, Apr 17, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2020
    Please show me. I don't remember saying I'm happy about or delighted in their misfortune. Maybe I forget, but since you are so certain of it, please show me to refresh my memory.

And yes, there is a massive difference between being forced to liquidate an investment (RACE) and excessive luxury consumer goods. If you're forced to liquidate a $200K car, then yes, you ****ed up. You should have insurance and a safety net far beyond $200K if you own a $200K car.

25. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    I guess when you said they 'Fd up', with any subsequent misfortune by dying of Covid-19, you mean it in terms of endearment.