458 - What's a fair (pandemic) offer for this car? | FerrariChat

458 What's a fair (pandemic) offer for this car?

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by ModerateMike, Apr 10, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ModerateMike

ModerateMike Rookie

Jul 21, 2017
    NC
    Full Name:
    Mike
  2. Peterod2010

Peterod2010 Karting

Feb 23, 2014
    conn
    Full Name:
    Steve
    I just bought a 2014 458 spider with 5450 miles $332k window sticker white with charcoal int. For $205k with a 2 year cpo.

3. LivingthedreamBAB

Jan 2, 2020
    Full Name:
    BRIAN BUTT
  4. Regular Guy 01

Regular Guy 01 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 10, 2011
    Tacoma, WA
    Full Name:
    Eugene Greer
    I am in now way an expert but I just wanted to give you my 2 cents on this car and dealership.

First, I purchased almost the exact same car last year in Chicago and it is a stunning build.
    My car is an '14, has red stitching with a red stripe in the seat and diamond cut wheels.
    I don't think you can find a nicer build (IMHO).

Second, I spent some time in January this year at the dealership and I was quite impressed with the dealership and their repair department.
    I know that you wont have much interaction with them after the purchase but if you were local to them I would feel good about having a relationship with them.
    They seem very trustworthy and respectable.

Not sure what the price they are asking on this car but if it checks out and you can get close to a deal...…..
    A trip to see it first hand and in person is always money well spent. Make a weekend out of the purchase and make a memory out of the adventure.

Good luck,
    Gene Greer

5. LivingthedreamBAB

Jan 2, 2020
    Full Name:
    BRIAN BUTT
    I want to clarify that $175k would be a bottom dollar deal. $185 is probably what it will go for given the times we are in

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

Tamahal likes this.
  6. ModerateMike

ModerateMike Rookie

Jul 21, 2017
    NC
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Thanks Gene. I agree, there's something about the Grigio Silverstone that really flatters the lines on the 458. I've been looking for a while, and they seem to sell quickly.
    That's good to hear about the service department, because I would be relying on them to CPO the car.
    Best,
    Mike

ScottS likes this.
  7. Peterod2010

Peterod2010 Karting

Feb 23, 2014
    conn
    Full Name:
    Steve
    I think that’s a wholesale # and I doubt a Ferrari dealer will take it.

PTG1 and LI2782 like this.
  8. ModerateMike

ModerateMike Rookie

Jul 21, 2017
    NC
    Full Name:
    Mike
    That is exactly what my gut is telling me, but I don't have the data to back it up. I appreciate your input.

9. Cigarzman

Cigarzman F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

10. ModerateMike

ModerateMike Rookie

Jul 21, 2017
    NC
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Yeah, I would not be surprised by that. I know you ended up at $205 for reason.

11. 3POINT8

3POINT8 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2014
    $175-$185 seems way too low. my guess is $205k

Dr. K and ModerateMike like this.
  12. Peterod2010

Peterod2010 Karting

Feb 23, 2014
    conn
    Full Name:
    Steve
    I’ve been haggling with them for 5 weeks. I haven’t actually signed for it yet. I’m still nervous.

13. ModerateMike

ModerateMike Rookie

Jul 21, 2017
    NC
    Full Name:
    Mike
    It hasn't hit the sales floor yet, but they say they're thinking of pricing "near the 220k mark." I'm told they're selling it on consignment.

14. SAFE4NOW

SAFE4NOW F1 Veteran
    Sponsor Owner

Aug 25, 2004
    Dallas Texas
    Full Name:
    If you know you know

If its the Spec you want and now you have found it, why haggle over the price, get the Ferrari you have been looking for.

Now, if you are wanting to practice the art of negotiation, then all you can do it go for it... only you know what it is worth to you.

Since you just added that it may be a consignment car, then all bets are off, you are negotiating with an owner who most likely wants more than market value for it and a Dealership that has to make their money for marketing it and adding CPO...

All you can do it go in and make your offer... if it's $205k ... then its $205k..

What is THIS car worth to YOU? THAT is the question you should be asking yourself, IMO.

Good Luck in your dealings, nothing but good things to say about Ferrari of Newport Beach!

Steve

rennspeed, BLAMPEE, 338Lapua and 3 others like this.
  15. AlfistaPortoghese

AlfistaPortoghese Moderator
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2014
    Europe, but not by much.
    Full Name:
    Nuno
    Although I agree with most of what’s been said and the values put forward, what we sometimes forget (me included) is that to the prospective buyer, there’s an emotional attachment already developed with the car, whereas for us being consulted about it, there is none. We already have the car(s) we’ve always wanted in our garage(s).

My point is this: when I was out to buy my 458, I said to myself I was going to keep it cool. Don’t show my hand. Don’t let the dealer know I’m really into the car. That worked out for me just fine on the first two days of talking to the dealer. By the end of the third day, I was all “shut the hell up and take my money, I wanna floor it!”.

I think we’ve all been there at some point, regardless if you’ve bought a 458, 488 or F8, new or pre-owned. The feeling that we might have overpaid for something isn’t nice, so of course we should take caution and practice due diligence at all times, so kudos to the OP for asking people who are already owners what they think, in order to be better equipped to make an informed decision.

But honestly, sometimes we want a car so bad that we don’t mind overpaying for it. You only live once and it’s much nicer to overpay 2, 3 or 4 grand on a car, THE car you want as spec’d and shaped by your dreams, than spending that money on a hospital bill. If someone gave me those 2, 3 or 4 grand for free to walk away from my 458 and go buy another, I wouldn’t take it.

I consider myself to be cautious and to drive a reasonably hard bargain, except when it comes to Ferraris. They make me go weak on the knees. And women. Other than that I usually manage to keep my cool and my latin temperament in check :D:D

Kindest regards,

Nuno.

tomc, NeuroBeaker, MRY and 6 others like this.
  16. ModerateMike

ModerateMike Rookie

Jul 21, 2017
    NC
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I totally agree with all that. But I'm an accountant at heart and hate paying more than necessary!

SAFE4NOW likes this.
  17. mustangtornado

Dec 19, 2014
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Jay
    I would say they’re going to be asking 230, will be interesting to see what’s accepted.

18. Troy Slinkard

Troy Slinkard Rookie

Dec 26, 2018
    Evergreen, Colorado
    Mike:

That car looks great.

It took me almost a year to find a low mileage 458 Silverstone spider with racing seats. When it showed up at a distant Ferrari dealer, I bought it immediately based on pics and a phone call. The car is a riot.

19. PA Wolfpacker

PA Wolfpacker Formula Junior

Aug 19, 2007
    Naples, FL
    Full Name:
    Neil
    If you are dead set on this configuration then you should lock it up. If on the other hand you are flexible then time is on your side. The auto industry is getting hammered currently and car sales are way down. Offer a fair, but aggressive price and see what happens. If you are turned down and the seller is ready to sell you will hear back soon. If not, there a lot of 458s out there to choose from.

Good luck

ModerateMike likes this.
  20. LI2782

LI2782 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 19, 2010
    Started out wanting to comment that if it’s been in their inventory I wouldn’t expect too good of a deal as they likely acquired it pre-pandemic and paid accordingly.

with the new info that it’s a recent consignment it could be a case of a buyer needing the money now. Most folks I know who don’t absolutely need the cash are taking their cars back from consignment when their agreement is up due to the weak market. This is no time for anyone to be selling a Ferrari who doesn’t absolutely need to. If it were me I wouldn’t be afraid to start very low.

21. AlfistaPortoghese

AlfistaPortoghese Moderator
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2014
    Europe, but not by much.
    Full Name:
    Nuno
    You’re absolutely right, Neil.

Just to throw some numbers in my country, although being a small market, is just one example.

Sales March 2020:

Alfa Romeo -93%
    Opel: -80%
    Peugeot: -73%
    Renault: -67%
    Ferrari: 0 cars sold.

Kind regards,

Nuno.

goodfiend likes this.
  22. wthensler

wthensler F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2015
    Gator Country, FL
    Full Name:
    William
    I bought a pre-owned 2013 Spider, pretty much optioned out with low miles, for north of 210 (about 1-1/2 years ago), and never looked back. My advice, negotiate but don’t hesitate too much if you want the car, COVID or not.

23. ModerateMike

ModerateMike Rookie

Jul 21, 2017
    NC
    Full Name:
    Mike
    “Negotiate, but don’t hesitate.” I like that!

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

LI2782 likes this.
  24. ModerateMike

ModerateMike Rookie

Jul 21, 2017
    NC
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Maybe you bought one that I was looking at, lol.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

25. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    Beautiful car but I wouldn't pay more than $185K for it. I agree trade is probably around $175K so they may hold out fo about $190K.