Whats a 400i worth for parts? | FerrariChat

Whats a 400i worth for parts?

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by CRNA, Dec 12, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. CRNA

CRNA Rookie

Dec 12, 2010
    Car has 43k miles, everything is there, auto transmission, model year 1985. Think parting it out would fetch $12-13k?

2. oldcoin

oldcoin Formula Junior

May 1, 2006
    Reno NV
    Full Name:
    Tony Mitchell
    What is wrong with the car? Does it run?

3. CRNA

CRNA Rookie

Dec 12, 2010
    Simply put it has a title that does not allow it to be registered, but the car is complete and does run well. Any idea of a breakdown of prices for parts off this car?

4. Ashman

Ashman Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2002
    MA
    Full Name:
    John
    Sadly, the parts probably are worth more than the price of a car in good running condition, but it could take a very, very long time (literally years) before you realize the value of the slowly disappearing hulk. There just is not that much demand for specific parts on these cars because there are so few of them.

For example, something like an engine in good running order might be worth as much as $10K, maybe more if it is demonstrably in good order and doesn't need to be torn down even a bit to go over, but I have rarely heard of anyone whose engine got lunched and needed total replacement. The bottom end is probably good for well over 100K miles and most people probably would rather keep their existing engine and redo the heads if that is necessary as the miles pile up.

I would guess that the front lenses and the cabin glass might be worth some good money and theoretically the body panels should be worth something. By this age however, most of these cars are in mature enthusiast hands and crashes, even fender benders, are pretty rare as well.

What is the serial number of the car, where are you located and would you please tell us the story about yourself and the car?

Welcome to FChat!

John

5. Ashman

Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2002
    MA
    Full Name:
    John
    I think I know what car this is. The model year and miles are the clues!

6. SCousineau

SCousineau Guest

Jul 17, 2004
    Full Name:
    S Cousineau
    I would be happy to investigate the ability of the car to be licensed. It would be a shame to part a running 400i. Some states are more willing to register cars than others unless it is stolen and then there are other problems.

-sc

7. jacques

jacques Formula Junior

May 23, 2006
    Los Angeles/Florida
    Just for grins..I'll take both front and rear windscreens, multi-function headlamp switch, all of the tail lights, ignition switch, both headlamp lifting motors, just for future insurance, even though mine are in perfect condition at the moment..there's at least 3K for you right here and now..I know that you get my point..Rent a large storage space get some air tools and some Liquid Wrench..and get busy..that parts cars should bring you in 5k by Christmas..over..Jacques.

8. full_garage

full_garage Formula 3
    Owner

Feb 15, 2010
    Sarasota Florida
    Full Name:
    Jay
    The car is a repaired rollover- and the guy who has it seems like he knows a thing or two- so this project has been abandoned because the car most likely will NEVER be right. Even if you could get it right you'll have a value of around $15K-$18K given the Carfax.

Makes perfect sense as a parts car.

9. Ak Jim

Ak Jim F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 23, 2007
    North Pole AK
    Maybe this car would be a good candidate for a rebody?

10. alfabarn

alfabarn Guest

Oct 25, 2009
    in the shop
    Full Name:
    Mudd
    If you are willing, I would like the frame, with full suspension and brakes and steering (column and wheel) and whatever body is still attached after it's parted, Yes it's for a rebody. , I already have a drivetrain.

11. Ashman

Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2002
    MA
    Full Name:
    John
    Interesting bids there, boys! Let the auction begin!

12. alfabarn

alfabarn Guest

Oct 25, 2009
    in the shop
    Full Name:
    Mudd
    Just curious, would you consider selling it, minus the motor and GM transmission?

13. jacques

jacques Formula Junior

May 23, 2006
    Los Angeles/Florida
    #13 jacques, Dec 14, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2010
    It just shows to go ya..judiciously done, there is a true and necessary need for parting out certain individuals..the preseravation of the marque and (all) of the models in it..without them, these older cars will vanish..please try to sell the parts to actual owners that will actually refit them to like models and not to someone who isn't concerned obout keeping the "400's" alive and giving many more years of driving and visual pleasure..just my thoughts..Jacques.

14. alfabarn

alfabarn Guest

Oct 25, 2009
    in the shop
    Full Name:
    Mudd
    I understand your concerns Jacques, but we are, if this is the car I think it is, talking about a car with structural integrity problems. If so, would you rather the frame be recycled than re-bodied? Reading the unsolicited emails I receive I know quite well what some members think of panel beaters like me. But unlike Alfa Romeo GTV owners, very few Ferrari owners are willing to invest far more in the cars they love, than the cars will be worth. I am willing to turn this into a structurally sound 12 cyl coupe (that is not a replica of another model) than can be titled and driven. But I will step aside for any person who is willing to restore it, and wish them the best. But I am not going to hold my breath waiting for that to happen.

15. dstacy

dstacy F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2006
    GMT -5 & GMT +1
    Full Name:
    Dave
    I'll take the sunvisor clips, the speaker grilles, the temperature adjustment levers, and the front lens

16. open roads

open roads F1 Rookie

Jan 28, 2007
    Sarasota, Fl.
    Full Name:
    Stan
    Probably about two thou less than the ask.

17. open roads

open roads F1 Rookie

Jan 28, 2007
    Sarasota, Fl.
    Full Name:
    Stan
    Actually breakers play a valuable roll and there are those who will end that way.

Hard to say on valuation. Catch as catch can.

18. Champboat/Champcar

Champboat/Champcar Formula Junior

Jan 29, 2007
    Freeport NY
    Full Name:
    Eric T
    Could it be the Gullwing 400i , i see it was sold + not on the site anymore.

19. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
    I think I know which one it is too.

20. full_garage

full_garage Formula 3
    Owner

Feb 15, 2010
    Sarasota Florida
    Full Name:
    Jay
    It's a rollover from Denver- Guy spent quite a while trying to put it back together but found out he can not register it for the road...

21. new ulm 400i

new ulm 400i Karting

Sep 1, 2007
    Taipei, Taiwan
    Full Name:
    Lee Atkinson
    I'd think in any other state the title can be cleaned up (at least, brought to a salvage title). If the car is really put together well, then it has a chance of becoming someone's driver.

Personally, most the cars I've driven were ones I put together from totals. That said, with the very low prices on everything automotive (like Testarossas for $40k...) its a bad time to sell a car that has had serious damage. And once you start to part the car, you'd be willing to take years and get way less than a rational price on things. Just watch how slowly pieces and parts for 400s sell on Ebay---there are very few people fixing up these cars, and apparently nobody looking for major body parts or even engines....Lee

22. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
  23. dstacy

dstacy F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2006
    GMT -5 & GMT +1
    Full Name:
    Dave
  24. Ashman

Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2002
    MA
    Full Name:
    John
  25. dailyferraridriver

dailyferraridriver Formula 3
    Owner

Nov 12, 2010
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Erik
    Just read that story - terrible.

It's almost a guarantee that all cars are worth more as parts than as a full/running vehicle.

I know an owner of a large salvage yard in NJ - he no longer sells repairable vehicles because he makes triple the money selling the parts. The only problem? It takes years to sell the entire car.

Good luck with the 400i sale -

Erik