What was your most blatant "I've got money" comment... | Page 15 | FerrariChat

What was your most blatant "I've got money" comment...

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by F1Ace, Nov 29, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Stephanie

Stephanie F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 23, 2006
    The Beach, FL
    Full Name:
    Stephanie
    Hahaha!! That's awesome. I'd do a back flip if I ever heard that my acct was in the millions. :)

2. turbotrip

turbotrip Karting

Sep 9, 2006
    Calgary
    definitely, the people with real money dont need to brag about it anymore

for example, when my family moved to the city and was looking for a house to buy, we were introduced to a man who had his house for sale. He didnt try to sell us his house, but instead offered to take us around and show us some of the houses in the most expensive part of town just for fun. When my dad asked him what he does for a living he just replied "im an uneducated man", and when asked again he said "im a laborer" and smiled. After showing us some houses he dropped us off at the womans house who had originally introduced us. There, she told us that the guy that had just drove us around town for the last 2 hours owned around 10 houses in that neighborhood he showed us and the cheapest house in the area is over 1 mill. Apparently he has a big family and just keeps houses furnished, and whenever someone comes into town he puts them in one of his houses for as long as they stay.

3. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    :)

4. F1Ace

F1Ace F1 Rookie

Mar 15, 2004
    Full Name:
    Wes
    I just love that story.

You've gotta teach me how to do that. What numbers did you press?

5. swilliams

swilliams Formula 3

Jun 14, 2006
    Bowling Green, KY
    Full Name:
    Scott
    +1 LOL Maybe if we changed bank system to Pesos..

I have a feeling RayJ got it to do it the hard way though.. Not by tricking the phone messaging system to say One Million,xxxx.xx.xxx :)

6. F1Ace

F1Ace F1 Rookie

Mar 15, 2004
    Full Name:
    Wes
    I think I'm gonna change my answering machine to do that....could come in handy. ;)

I see you have a 745, I'm enjoying my first one now. What a car.

7. nsxnick

nsxnick Formula 3

Jul 24, 2001
    Detroit
    Full Name:
    Nick
    "do you know how many seconds i have to work to pay for that?"

8. Sieze Giorno

Sieze Giorno Formula Junior

Jun 5, 2005
    Florida
    LOL, now that's classic!

9. swilliams

swilliams Formula 3

Jun 14, 2006
    Bowling Green, KY
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Yep, once you figure out the Idrive interface its a very good car. Could have a little more torque and the speakers blow up like popcorn. (warranty item)

I went to a 760LI and then went back down to 745LI not enough HP or suede difference for the 10g's difference

10. F1Ace

F1Ace F1 Rookie

Mar 15, 2004
    Full Name:
    Wes
    I suppose that's true, but it still is a lot more willing than my 328, which, "thou shall not rev unless totally warmed up", and until then be satisfied with the 140hp available under 3000rpm. My rides were just too short to put up with that any longer. Plus I just love the stereo in the 745....practically bought it for that alone. Oh, and the other electronics (seat, soft close doors, etc..). We just seem to think alike. I think I'm always gonna have one from now on.

As for that second car.....

11. Sieze Giorno

Jun 5, 2005
    Florida
    I had a sales person get snitty and was not in the mood to deal with it. I said "Are you someone I should know? Because I don't recognize you and I think you may WORK HERE. Correct?"

12. Sieze Giorno

Jun 5, 2005
    Florida
    It's probably cheaper too than any other route!

And very entertaining...

13. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    In college I worked at a gas station that had rented the bays to an exotic car repair shop, nice cars by the score....college dream. Anyway, one beautiful day a client was in with his 275gtb. I said to him (a little too smugly for being the greasy little punk I was), "It must be terrible to have your Ferrari in the shop on this beautiful day." To which he replied, "That is why I have exactly the same one at home in a different color."
    doh!
    I was once kicking tires at a dealership and the salesguy was reluctantly yielding information, and he implied I might be a littl eout of my league, I pointed out to him I bought 4 Porsches, 1 Maserati, and BMW 5 series the year before....he then took me seriously, but I still felt like a turd (but I'm over it now :)).

14. BT

BT F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 21, 2005
    FL / GA
    Full Name:
    Bill Tracy
    I went looking at some model homes about 10 years ago and did not have on good clothes. The salesman immediately figured I had no real buying ability and so asked if I was looking for a townhouse. I said "No a single family with at least 5 bedrooms". He said "You know those cost over $350k". I said "That's fine, my budget is around $450k." Then he asked what I did for a living, and I told him "I draw toilet partitions." I didn't buy partly because that guy was such a jerk...
    :)
    BT

15. Lee in Texas

Lee in Texas Formula Junior

Oct 21, 2006
    near Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Lee
    I put $1 in the tip jar when I got some Kung Pao Shrimp a few days ago, but check it, it was takeout. That's right, they didn't wait on my table or anything.

But seriously- I think it's odd that a guy who is such a devout... and vocal...Christian, would get a kick out of bragging about material wealth.

16. Steveny360

Steveny360 F1 Veteran

Sep 5, 2007
    A good line when you do get blown away by some one with a $hitbox is...You want to trade even up. Of course they say yes. Thats when you smile, wink and do the little hand in the shape of a gun thing. Then they realize no matter how fast their car is it's not a Ferrari.

One line I do use a lot is..It's not about the price it's about the value. This line works well. It lets the person know I am not concerned with the price as much as I am concerned about what I am getting for my money.

17. Mr.Anthony337

Mr.Anthony337 Formula Junior

Dec 6, 2007
    Full Name:
    Russell
    Wasn't even something I said, but when I got my IT stock money I called one of my best friends and played the automatic teller balance inquiry on my account over the phone for him... just to brag among friends which is okay... but his response when I got back on the phone was (in a shocked and cautious tone...) "you have enough ... to have me killed. ... AWESOME!"

:) we still laugh hysterically about it. It's one of those lines that will just stick in your mind forever and make you smile ;)
    And just to reinforce the fact that this wasn't me showing off... this guy is also the one the helped me push the Countach around my neighborhood back to my house when the clutch bearing shattered late one night we were out to dinner! Thats friendship ... of course he still laughs about THAT too :)

Only time I think I ever really used it was when I was headed through the mall and my VW was actually in the shop so I was "forced" to drive the Countach for the weekend ;) and one of the guys from highschool I barely knew came up and was asking if it was real, and if it was fast and all that crap... and got really annoying because it was all over his face that now he wanted to be my best friend. His g/f came up and was eyeing me up for a second and then the moment hit. He asked what kind of Lamborghini it was (thought it was a diablo), and I said "Oh, you mean my first one, the one outside? It's a countach." Then I smiled and shook his hand, and then his g/f's (taking a bit longer with her), and then walked away. I mean, I didn't lie... it was my first Lamborghini ;) I just haven't bought the second one yet, thats all. hehehehe

18. Steveny360

Steveny360 F1 Veteran

Sep 5, 2007
    As I am reading through this thread I have to agree with what you are saying. I thought people were a bit smarter than this. One member commented how he had 1.7M in a checking acount, I thought....are you f--ing crazy?

19. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    A while back I was at the Yacht Club (not as fancy as it sounds, really just a bar and a bunch of people with canoes who float about on it in a puddle we call a dam. We just drink there twice a week) with a couple of Indian buddies of mine. The one guy just got married and this was the first time he went out after his insanely large bachelor party that lasted a few weeks and was on 4 continents. They asked if I wanted to tag along for dinner and initially I declined because I was running out of cash, but they convinced me other wise.

Dinner comes, drinks flowing of course and a good time later it comes to the matter of paying the bill. The first 3 guys all battle over the bill but then my friend who just got married stands up and takes the bill and puts his black card on it. He just got it because of his marriage and all and the comments about the black card (all in good fun) where hilarious...was loud enough for the whole restaurant to hear (bit obnoxious i suppose in Africa ;)). This is by a crowd who have jets at the ready of course so I shouldn't have been that surprised...

When I came back from Mozambique (driving) we overnighted in Komatipoort. As my friends dad went of to buy some beers and meat, he bumps into his old Army Commander, a man who he hasn't seen in over 40 years. The Commander, Ian, invites us all round to his place. This place was absolutely insane, huge, filled with stuff that looked pretty damn expensive and all sorts of throphy hunted animals (including a ******* polar bear), all shot by himself.

First come the questions about who does what for a living...My friends dad isn't exactly poor, owning a company well into the 9 figures. This Ian person then goes to tell what he's doing now (first of, he owns the largest banana plantation in Africa). He wants to take a shot at the apple industry now so casually mentioned he bought 500 hectares ''to see how it goes''. If he likes it, he'll buy out all the big boys in africa... Apparently he has so much land several governments have put pressure on him to sell parts of it as they think it's unnecessary...!

Quite stunned by all this he wanted to celebrate seeing his old friend, and making new ones. He opens a bottle of whiskey, and, whilst pouring it, casually mentions it's one of the most expensive Whiskeys in the world, and it would be an insult to him if one refused...I was keen anyhow. Tasted pretty good I must say, coming from someone whose not a big Whiskey drinker. I just googled at it turned out it was Glenfiddich Janet Sheed Roberts Reserve 1955; a bottle of whiskey that retails at a mind boggeling 94K USD a bottle!

Despite him bragging about some of the stuff, he was a genuinely nice guy. I wondered how much my piss was worth the next morning...

20. DrStranglove

DrStranglove FChat Assassin
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Google Maps
    Full Name:
    DrS
    #370 DrStranglove, May 8, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  21. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    Well played.

22. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    LOL fair enough!

23. novachump

novachump Rookie

May 10, 2013

awesome. just awesome. this thread is hilarious.

24. novachump

novachump Rookie

May 10, 2013
    I work as a financial planner for a living so I come across all sorts of people, I get a kick out of meeting new and interesting people. years and years ago I was at a bar with this girl I was dating at the time and met this guy and his girlfriend and we started chatting. real nice guy, down to earth but a little cocky you can tell, his girlfriend was really friendly and just gorgeous. we had a good time, tab came and he graciously picked it up, it was like 100 bucks he drops 2 franklins down I was thinking "whoa" we exchange numbers and we leave. he gives me a call a couple days later and we agree to meet up at my office bc he wanted to look at some options in terms of wealth protection. I agree and the guy shows up in the middle of a Wednesday in jeans and a sweatshirt. i'm thinking "okay, not going to be much here but let's take a look and see how I can help him out". he reaches into his BACKPACK and starts pulling out neatly printed out packets of his investment and properties. turns out this "kid" started up some internet company in san fran, it made a ton of money, sold it when his mom died unexpectedly to move back to be with his family and made a TON of money out of the sale. guy had about 5-6 million in LIQUID assets (checking accounts, mutual funds, stocks) a small business complex in LA and multiple properties in san Francisco and he was 32! he was looking at some options for investments here in NoVa. I sat there in complete shock for a few minutes shuffling through his portfolio, and finally looked up at him mouth agape. he looked back at me smiled broadly and goes "my girlfriend and I had a good time last night and would like to hang out again soon, maybe dinner and drinks. this time it's on YOU guys. my first "big time" and definitely best client.

25. bball16

bball16 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 2, 2011
    NY LI FtL
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I was buying a new Suburban at a Chevy dealer that I had never done business with before. When he handed me the credit request it asked for my monthly income. When I wrote it down he quickly responded that they wanted monthly not annual. I responded that I was giving him the monthly. Lol. You should have seen the look on his face and then he tried to sell me everything he could.