What was your "Got it" moment ? | FerrariChat

What was your "Got it" moment ?

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by WILLIAM H, Jun 11, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. WILLIAM H

WILLIAM H Three Time F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    Like most people I've been struggling w my weight since mid 30s

Now I have a combination of factors that have finally gotten me on the right path.

I suppose having a child has really motivated me to take better care of myself

I have to be around for him another 25 years or so and I want to be a great role model for him, so it was time to knock off the excuses and just get in shape. Cant tell him to be an athlete if I'm a big old couch potatoe

I've always been really technical in my weight lifting but my diet was a mess.
    So my GOT IT moment was when I realized it was time to get technical w my diet as well. Since then I've been drinking Only water or ice tea. I dropped a bunch of stuff from my diet that was causing me to retain water like salt, soda, chips etc

I finally tuned into a winning realistic diet for myself

Now I'm dropping between 1/2 to 1 full # a day of fat and I plan on keeping the ball rolling till I get down into the 180s

At my current weight 207 and current rate I should be there in about a month

I feel so much better now and my old clothes are starting to feel way too big :)

2. PaulVincent

PaulVincent Formula Junior

Oct 21, 2007
    Are you using a salt substitute?

3. WILLIAM H

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    No, most food already has some salt naturally

The turkey bacon, nut mix, & whole grain muffins I eat have some sodium in them already

4. REMIX

REMIX Two Time F1 World Champ

Sea salt is actually better for you than table salt.

Anyway, the "got it" moment was when the dr said the simplest thing: calories in vs calories out. Made a lot of sense.

RMX

5. nthfinity

nthfinity F1 Veteran

Mar 21, 2005
    South East MI
    Full Name:
    Isaac not Issac
    When I stepped on the scale, and it scared the hell out of me... it read 284 lbs. and that just isn't who I am. I didn't previously care about my diet, and was a huge couch potato. Now I'm very active, and know exactly what I eat. Sometimes I'm sloppy, but as long as I maintain my activity levels, I don't worry about it so much... there are many foods I simply don't eat anymore. I don't miss them.

6. darth550

darth550 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    That's a lot of weight to try and lose in a month. Just make a life change and eat moderate sized portions. Swimming is great, low impact exercise too!

I don't want to neg you out, just being realistic.

7. brownsgolf

brownsgolf Formula Junior

Dec 18, 2007
    Western PA
    Full Name:
    Dan
    Stepping on the scale at the doctors office a year ago and seeing 235 at age 21. I realized that I don't want to be the overweight, out of shape guy for the rest of my life like I have been for my whole life so far. I've been doing 35-50 minutes a day on the elliptical since then as well as some weight lifting and am currently on day 15 of Insanity.

I still need to work more on the diet portion of my life and change the way I eat, but I do have goals set for myself. I would like to enter in a half-marathon by the start of next summer and I would like to get into the 170's for the first time since I was 15 years old. In two years I would like to be able to take part in a marathon as well as try a triathlon. None of my friends will believe that I can make it to take part in any of this because in high school I was the person on the golf team because we did not have to do any physical activity or training.

8. WILLIAM H

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    I think the other part was really my son and the realization that my job now is to not have a heart attack or a stroke for the next 25 years or so. Best way to do that I think is to get in shape which will achieve several goals simultaneously

9. darth550

darth550 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    When I was in bad shape, being able to chase around/play catch with my kid when I'm in my late 50's was mine too.

Powerful stuff.

10. Face76

Face76 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 21, 2006
    The Other Oz
    Full Name:
    M Wilborn
    Bad bout of kidney stones and the visit to the nephrologist (SP?). Low kidney function did the trick. Family is trying a low diet this summer. Everyone is really up for this so that makes me feel good. It does take a family effort to change your diet.

11. modena1_2003

modena1_2003 F1 Rookie

Aug 17, 2005
    Full Name:
    Jon
    I was shallow at the start and made the goal to be just big enough to flirt with some guys girlfriend right infront of him and see him just sit there. Sort of to that point but I'm taken so its to no avail.

I was called "fat tub of goo" in middle school as well. Went to lift back home and bumped into a guy I knew way back. I was doing sets of five curls on a bench bar w 135 in front of the guy. That was good enough for me.

_J

12. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
  13. modena1_2003

modena1_2003 F1 Rookie

Aug 17, 2005
    Full Name:
    Jon
    "We found the victim on the floor surrounded by a box of Kosher Salt, a bottle of Iodine and a table spoon with Crisco residue."

"I saw this as a rookie once. It looks like the job of FerrariChat heath advice. Sick bastards."

"...Not, THE Rob "Don Roberto" Lay?!"

"It's a disgusting world we live in."

_J