What was I thinking??? | Page 3 | FerrariChat

What was I thinking???

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by Linas, Jan 26, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Kds

Kds F1 World Champ

Welcome to Ferrarichat Linas.

I've seen you post many times over on the C3 section at Corvette Forum. There is great advice here in this section, so check back often, and let us know how it is going.

2. furmano

furmano Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 22, 2004
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Furman
    This is the right attitude to have. I was worried that you didn't have any idea what you were getting into. Sounds like you can do the work yourself which will cut down on costs. Ferrari parts are expensive, WAY more expensive than Chevy parts. But it sounds like you enjoy the process of bringing cars back to life.

Take your time and feel free to use the Search tool in the upper left corner or ask questions. There are many people here who have done a lot of work on Testarossa's and will be able to help you along the way.

Congrats!

-F

3. Linas

Linas Karting

Jan 26, 2013
    Europe
    Full Name:
    Linas
    #53 Linas, Apr 11, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    So, it's been a while! I have finally received my "parts car" (according to some) and my mechanic started to go through it, checking/cleaning every eletric component for water damage, stripping interior for cleaning, etc. Waterline was around the level of wheel center emblems. I will have the ignition key produced next week, so we'll see, how the engine and electronics behave then. Removing all spark plugs has shown no traces of water in the cylinders. All fluids are being replaced as well.

Not sure, if I will be posting updates regularly, but time to time I will throw in some photos.

Of course, this conclusion will have to be made after starting the engine, but from today's perspective looks like I have got a massive bargain.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

4. lear60man

lear60man Formula 3

May 29, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Christian
    Outstanding! Yes please give us updates.

5. Tomcattmatt

Tomcattmatt Rookie

Jan 21, 2013
    San Diego, CA
    Full Name:
    Matt
    Wow! Super exciting. Can't wait to hear more.

Matt

6. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    first sight I would say looks not sooo bad

good luch and success :)

7. MS250

MS250 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Full Name:
    Avvocato
    Congrats on the project, and Good luck !

I would recommend you re-read what you posted , along with the pictures.

There is a large disconnect ;)

8. Glassman

Glassman F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

I truly hope you can fire this car up and it runs. You definately have balls.

9. Linas

Linas Karting

Jan 26, 2013
    Europe
    Full Name:
    Linas
    Hmmm, pictures look so bad? :)

10. 2dinos

2dinos F1 Rookie

Jan 13, 2007
    Fingers crossed for you! Congratulations. Hopefully it's more of a dream than a nightmare.

How are the seats? My big fear would be mold. I'd suggest changing out all of the HVAC hoses. Not expensive, and will make air flow into the cabin smell clean (no-smell).

11. Linas

Linas Karting

Jan 26, 2013
    Europe
    Full Name:
    Linas
    They are alright. We have not applied any chemical cleaning yet, just dusted them off. There is slight mold smell right now, but no rust - there was a lot of grease on their metal parts before, so water did not cause any corrosion. I'm sure, there will be no smell after chemical cleaning - have done it in the past, worked like a charm.

12. curtisc63

curtisc63 Formula 3
    Owner

Dec 13, 2005
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Curtis Campbell
    Hopefully you have gotten a very good deal and will have saved this car being parted out. I wish you the best. Water level does not seem to be too bad. Please do keep us updated.

13. MS250

Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Full Name:
    Avvocato
    It's not that pictures look bad...you stated the waterline was around the wheel centre emblems ...and yet, the engine bay pic is corroding, and faded ?

Just hope it's not as bad as you think when you turn the key.... Good luck !!!!! Hope it turnsover perfectly for you when you get there.

14. Linas

Linas Karting

Jan 26, 2013
    Europe
    Full Name:
    Linas
    Nah, I guess, it's just the way it looks in the pictures. Engine bay is very clean (by my standard, that is :)) and no traces of water. Anyhow, now I am mostly thinking about how it will start. Next week we shall see.

15. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    Part out the TR. You will be Katrina underwater by the time you get the TR up to driver condition and still be left with a salvage title and a flagged Carfax.

16. curtisc63

curtisc63 Formula 3
    Owner

Dec 13, 2005
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Curtis Campbell
    Except the car is now in Lithuania and I am not sure the US title history would follow it. I hope it starts and runs fine for him. If not - he still has the opportunity to make some money on parts...

17. BEWKABAILEY

BEWKABAILEY Karting

Nov 1, 2004
    Sydney Australia
    Full Name:
    Bradley Coleman
    Can't wait for the start up... Basically buying cars like this are a punt .. And a big punt .. Not for everybody .. Sounds like you know what your doing keep us posted .. I'm following this like a hawk... Great read ... I have a good feeling it will start up.. Does not look that bad .. Good luck ..

18. Linas

Linas Karting

Jan 26, 2013
    Europe
    Full Name:
    Linas
    The startup should happen by the end of this week! Still in a hunt for few remaining Bosch relays, should get them by the end of the week. Also just got the ignition key produced from a mold, as the original was not with the car when it arrived. Almost all electric components have been disassembled, cleaned, sprayed with anticorrosive, and reassembled. Fluids, filters, spark plugs, etc replaced.

I have been postponing the startup, because I had to get the car evaluated by customs for tax purposes. Surely, I did not want it to look too good at that point as it will increase the value of the car and - consequently - customs tax that I have to pay. So keep your fingers crossed at the end of the week. I will let you know, if I blow the engine or not :) Not rushing things at all and enjoying the process :)

19. Linas

Linas Karting

Jan 26, 2013
    Europe
    Full Name:
    Linas
    #69 Linas, Apr 24, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  20. BEWKABAILEY

BEWKABAILEY Karting

Nov 1, 2004
    Sydney Australia
    Full Name:
    Bradley Coleman
    Linas... Vette looks great ..enjoy... Good luck with the valuation !!! .... The old tax man he stops at no border .... That guy is everywhere ....
    Keep us posted on the start up .. I almost can't sleep . Wanting to know if this thing will start..

21. MS250

Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Full Name:
    Avvocato
    These cars are so good, that it will start. The issue is after it starts, what will creep up?

That's the concern.

Good luck Linas ! You are committed now, hope it goes well for you.

22. BEWKABAILEY

BEWKABAILEY Karting

Nov 1, 2004
    Sydney Australia
    Full Name:
    Bradley Coleman
    Linas ... any news !!!! did your key and relay's arrive ...

23. Linas

Linas Karting

Jan 26, 2013
    Europe
    Full Name:
    Linas
    Last bits arrived yesterday PM so we were able to put everything together and get it ready for the first startup by 11 PM only. Starter was engaging, indicator lights working, engine turning freely, but not starting. We tried it a couple of times and decided to call it a day :) I'm out of town now and the work will resume by mid of next week. Should be either spark or fuel supply. We shall see next week!

24. Mr.Chairman

Mr.Chairman F1 Rookie

Mar 21, 2008
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Robbie
    Make sure there is gas in the tanks. Not water.

R

25. Linas

Linas Karting

Jan 26, 2013
    Europe
    Full Name:
    Linas
    Sure :)