What was I thinking??? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

What was I thinking???

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by Linas, Jan 26, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. B R

B R F1 Rookie

Aug 31, 2005
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    B R
  2. shashi27

shashi27 Formula Junior

Jan 7, 2006
    Long Valley, NJ
    Full Name:
    Shashi
    From someone who suffers from the same misguided notions, and has spent twice as much as i should have restoring a C3 (1970)than it was worth, just part it. It is not a one of a kind Ferrari. Part it and buy a TR in good condition. Reading some of the threads in the TR section these cars can bankrupt someone when they are wrong to begin with. Good luck either way you decide to go. Best, Shashi

3. Linas

Linas Karting

Jan 26, 2013
    Europe
    Full Name:
    Linas
    Oh, thanks for sharing. Just talked to the guys from shipping company at Copart lot. I think, they are excited more than me after seeing nothing but Toyotas and Hondas for months!

Bottom line is that even if I will be upside down with my budget in bringing this car back to road, I will still do it. I don't have a deadline, I enjoy the process. I have bought several flooded classic cars in the past and none of them went to parts. Hope, this time it will work out the same way. Wish me luck :)

4. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    I don't see that at all. I see some water on the seat from the rain while they were taking the picture.

5. jimangle

jimangle F1 Rookie

Nov 5, 2003
    Haverford
    Full Name:
    James
    I think this could be a fun project, Good luck with it!

You'll be able to find out if this is a parts car fairly quickly. It might not actually be that bad, and I don't think it will be.

Keep us posted!

Jim

6. 302Tim

302Tim Formula 3

Jul 2, 2011
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Clearly Linas you have the right attitude and previous experience, I for one look forward to seeing how this turns out, please keep us informed. If in the end you decide to part it out, please give me a call before you advertise, I have a short list.... (just kidding)

7. Meister

Meister F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2001
    Duluth, MN
    Full Name:
    The Meister
    How did you win the bid on Copart? Did you use a broker or ?

8. Linas

Linas Karting

Jan 26, 2013
    Europe
    Full Name:
    Linas
    I just contacted a local company, which is in the business of buying and transporting auction cars to Europe. Informed them about my max bid and sent the payment to them after close of the auction. Now they will take care about car delivery right to my door. Did that many times in the past.

9. JazzyO

JazzyO F1 World Champ

Jan 14, 2007
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Onno
    Good luck with the project! It will take a bit patience and more than a bit of money, I think, but I'm sure you'll come out the other end smiling.

Onno

10. evgeny_yu

evgeny_yu Karting

Feb 26, 2011
    Moscow, Russia
    Full Name:
    Evgeny
    Hi Linas, wish you all the luck. You guys in Latvia know how to bring cars back to the road from pieces. ;) everything is possible
    Since I'm restoring 348 can't be a big help for you but will look after your resto process with interest. BTW, I'm not too far from you. ;)

11. Mr.Chairman

Mr.Chairman F1 Rookie

Mar 21, 2008
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Robbie
    Flood cars are taboo... You are flirting with disaster.. I've been appraising damaged vehicle and heavy equipment for 22 years.. Trust me.. Even we stay away from flood damaged cars.. Your shoveling sand against the tide.. Especially if this is your first go at fixing and flood car.. picking a Ferrari is nuts.. Collision - no problem.. theft - no problem - even fire to a degree (meaning a minor fire) - no problem - flood - run and run fast.. part it out and cut it off.. Dont be silly and hearing the I told you so's later on.. Its bad enough these cars require sorting and on top if it you want to add a nice layer of flood icing on top. Let it go..

R

12. KENCO

KENCO Formula 3

Nov 1, 2006
    FL
    Full Name:
    KJG
    One other thought, from someone who has re-built many totaled cars.

The car will carry a rebuilt title, so if you want to sell, it will make it worth half what a non rebuilt TR will get, if you can sell it at all.

Exotic car buyers are very picky, not like your selling a rebuilt Camaro or something.

13. MS250

MS250 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Full Name:
    Avvocato

Finally - the voices of reason.

14. Linas

Linas Karting

Jan 26, 2013
    Europe
    Full Name:
    Linas
    Well, been there done that with flooded classic cars in the past. Considering that I bought this car, my previous experiences have not scared me away from flood cars apparently.

In several months you guys will either have a good reason to tell me "I told you so" or I will have a good reason to prove otherwise. Anyway, I enjoy projects more than driving I guess. We'll see :)

15. Linas

Linas Karting

Jan 26, 2013
    Europe
    Full Name:
    Linas
    Thanks Evgeny!! Nice to hear from someone in the neighbourhood!

16. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    it is all a question of money and time

so the labor in lithuania is so very cheap. not even 10 % of this in the states. also there are some real good mechanics who can work and fix, not only change.

I´m sure that this car will be on the road again

if you register a car in an other country you never have the original papers after registering. so nobody knows then about a history, and if the price for to sell is ok after finishing this car nobody cares about the history because a TR is not such a famous car

17. evgeny_yu

evgeny_yu Karting

Feb 26, 2011
    Moscow, Russia
    Full Name:
    Evgeny
    Absolutely agree. Price for labour in many Eastern European countries is so cheap that it allows you to go on with projects like this one or mine. But concerning history it would be true if the car was not from States... they've got carfax. ;)

18. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    but you can not get carfax report of all cars registered in the US

but that I don´t care.

if I buy again cars in the US I will look at myself and if there is something not ok as I like I go on looking for other cars. so I need no carfax because I think I have so much experience that I see what is ok and what not. and if for example the diff in a TR is broken this is not standing in the carfax.

19. evgeny_yu

evgeny_yu Karting

Feb 26, 2011
    Moscow, Russia
    Full Name:
    Evgeny
    Definitely but I was talking about salvage title.

20. Mr.Chairman

Mr.Chairman F1 Rookie

Mar 21, 2008
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Robbie
    If you buy a flood car, fix it, then sell it and never tell the new owner what happened or the history of the car then I'm sorry.. Your ******!! That is ****** move.. Carfax or no carfax. You do that you deserve a foot up your ass...

R

21. evgeny_yu

evgeny_yu Karting

Feb 26, 2011
    Moscow, Russia
    Full Name:
    Evgeny
    it was just a theoretical discussion. no one was going to fraud anyone, neither do op.

22. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    even it is a flood car

if all is done well - why don´t buy it if the price is ok, even with or without flood

23. Mr.Chairman

Mr.Chairman F1 Rookie

Mar 21, 2008
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Robbie
    Not accusing anyone of frauding someone.. I was stating that if someone does that then they are ******..

R

24. jimangle

jimangle F1 Rookie

Nov 5, 2003
    Haverford
    Full Name:
    James
    I agree with this. Carfax is good for somethings, but I have looked at plenty of cars that have a clean carfax and it's obvious that they have been in an accident.

Jim

25. phrogs

phrogs F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 13, 2004
    Michigan
    There are enough TR's being parted out that an entire wiring harness and any modules and so on can be sourced.

I have brought back a car from a fully submerged flood and made it my daily driver. Its not hard and if find a flood car easier than most.

I think this will be a great project it just depends on how deep and what got wet.