What towns in NC mtns for 2nd home? | Page 3 | FerrariChat

What towns in NC mtns for 2nd home?

Discussion in 'North & South Carolina' started by SCantera, Jul 18, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. marcmc8867

marcmc8867 Formula Junior

Jul 27, 2004
    NC
    Full Name:
    Marc M.
    Don't know...

I have NC plates and I got harassed and threatened this morning by law enforcement during my 66/55 ticket. He didn't seem to appreciate my kind (I was driving Ferrari) and I have a southern accent...

Good luck :)

2. Ricambi America

Ricambi America F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner

As a recent graduate of the NC-DMV reform school for wayward Ferrari drivers, give me a ring if you need lawyer recommendations.

3. marcmc8867

Jul 27, 2004
    NC
    Full Name:
    Marc M.
    Will do. I'll have to check and see what county I was in...was on 421 N 6-8 miles south of TN, coming from Banner Elk (had been on 194)..

4. SCantera

SCantera F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 4, 2004
    Living Falls NC
    Marc,

I know you don't want to hear this but..........there is a reason I don't own red Fcars. Although they look great they stand out a tad too much to be incognito. My case study........in 85 I bought a 76 silver/black BB 512 that I drove the stink out of. For some reason in my infinite wisdom I decided to paint it re-sale red. Booooom. Got 3 tickets in one year after none the previous 5.

Now my cars are blue and black w/ Valentines.

5. marcmc8867

Jul 27, 2004
    NC
    Full Name:
    Marc M.
    I know, you're right. Red is too alluring though...

I've had 3 tix in this car in 35k miles and 31 months. This was the only borderline one...the others were 112/65 and 95/65 and were with 2 weeks of being exactly 2 years and 1 year ago respectively. Long story on those but I swear I behave 99% of the time and I drive the car a ton.

I was probably due though... so its better to get a benign ticket than a whopper when you're due.

Anyway, enough on that. Sorry to hijack your thread.

6. f355red

f355red Formula Junior

Mar 14, 2005
    K-town NC
    Full Name:
    todd tanner
    maybe you need to avoid driving in late july and early august to avoid your anniversaries!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

7. marcmc8867

Jul 27, 2004
    NC
    Full Name:
    Marc M.
    I know. These FCA National Meets need to get rescheduled :)

8. f355red

f355red Formula Junior

Mar 14, 2005
    K-town NC
    Full Name:
    todd tanner
    well, at least you are able to go

9. marcmc8867

Jul 27, 2004
    NC
    Full Name:
    Marc M.
    Yes indeed. Y'all will have to go with us next year when it is closer (South Jersey) to home. The Moms can take the cousins and follow in another ride.

10. zjhoward

zjhoward Karting

Dec 15, 2007
    Full Name:
    Zachary Howard
    My girlfriend's parents have a place right outside of Boone and it is absolutely amazing. It's a house on top of Rich Mountain (elevation ~4500). There is this old fire tower and they have a great view of Grandfather Mountain too. Last time I checked, there were some houses/lots up that way for sale.

It's a very nice place; it's kind of secluded, but still close enough to Boone that you can come down the mountain and buy things if you need them. Its not gated or anything, but its a wonderful place and the prices are still reasonable. Might be worth checking out.

11. SCantera

SCantera F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 4, 2004
    Living Falls NC
    Zach,

Thanks for the info on Rich Mtn. It is now on my list of visits in the Boone/BR area.

12. Fred32097

Fred32097 Karting

Apr 6, 2005
    North Carolina
    Full Name:
    Fred
    I didn't read the entire thread so if I'm behind the disucssion please excuse me. I'd recomend Waynesville based on the original criteria you listed...close to a good sized town, thriving downtown, elevation, etc. The Asheville airport is at 2200 ft and Waynesville is about 3000. Several high end residential areas at 3500 to 4000 ft. Black Mtn is not competitive in my opinion. Look at Laurel Ridge and the Balsam Mountain Preserve. Laurel Ridge has a very interesting golf course and a new club house. There is an area of junky buidlings and filling stations along Balsam Road in West Waynesville. It's about 5 blocks long. Other than that Waynesville is a very nice town. 40 minutes from Asheville. I had a home in Naples for 10 years so I have an idea of what you expect. You'll find it at the developments that I mentioned. There are other excellent choices in WNC. You'll love the area.

13. SCantera

SCantera F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 4, 2004
    Living Falls NC
    Fred,

Waynesville is on my "hit list" to tour. Last year during the Ferrari Cup event my wife and I did get a quick tour of the town, but did not get a chance to view communities around. The town seems nice. I think I saw the not so great area west of town. If I recall there was a Walmart going up in this area. What is important to me is that the town seems to be growing and getting better. That is what attracted me to Naples when we moved here 10 years ago.

I will check out Laurel Ridge and Balsam Mtn Preserve. Laurel is on my list that I put together even though a golf community is not preferred.....neither of us play golf.

If you have any other communities to recommend feel free to let me know. We leave tomorrow evening.

thx
    Steve Cantera

14. Fred32097

Fred32097 Karting

Apr 6, 2005
    North Carolina
    Full Name:
    Fred
    Try the Sweet Onion for lunch or the Chef's Table for dinner. There are others but these are a good start. There's a private dinner club just off of Main Street. I've never had a meal there but I've heard good things. So the towns got a few amenities to go along with that mountain/rural feel. I live in the eastern part of the state but I know Waynesville well. If I can help in any way let me know. Good luck!!

15. dcb

dcb Rookie

Apr 5, 2007
    Did anyone mention Lake Lure, NC or Saluda/Tryon, NC? Lake Lure, once voted one of the ten most beautiful man-made lakes in the world, is located in Rutherford County. As I write this, the county is presently ranked either 1st or 2nd in NC in unemployment...translated, this means low property taxes, low cost of living, and lots of real estate available in the lake area. Located approximately 2 hours from Charlotte, 3+ hours from Atlanta, 1 hour from Greenville, SC (Airport), and 45 minutes from Asheville. Saluda, located in next door Polk county, is nearby Tryon, NC, home of the Blue Ridge BBQ Festival, and once home to F. Scott Fitzgerald, among others. A beautiful, historic, and picturesque area and rumored to be a haunt of Tom Cruise (supposedly owns a home on White Oak Mountain), it is a beautiful region, equally close to the above-mentioned cities, and an excellent hide-away. Equally intriguing is the Lake Lure area, where country music stars, NASCAR drivers, and other celebrities own homes, but local authorities seem serious about protecting identities and providing anonymity. Also home to movie hits like Dirty Dancing, Last of the Mohicans, and others.Check them out. Really nice places.

16. Tinbender

Tinbender Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Mar 13, 2004
    Raleigh,Lake Lure,NC
    Full Name:
    Terry W. Phillips
    I live at Lake Lure and I love it, but it doesn't have the temps. he is looking for. The elevation of the lake is 990 feet. We have temps. in the high 80s to low 90s much of the summer. It would be nice to have another 330GTC in the area.

Regards,
    Terry Phillips
    330GTC #9411

17. SCantera

SCantera F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 4, 2004
    Living Falls NC
    Terry and dcb,

I considered Lake Lure and also smaller Lake Adger areas. But as u mentioned I am seeking higher elevation for cooler temps in the summer. We are in the low 90s everyday here in Naples......don't need more of that.

I drove my GTC in the Ferrari Cup Challenge drives in May 08. Had a great time! The engine was a bit weak. Right now it is all apart with the block with Patrick Otis for machine work, new pistons and rods. Hope to have it all back together this fall. Bob Zambelli has given me some input as have other FChatters with respect to making the car better.....maybe not original, but better. I will keep all original parts.....for the next guy.....although my GTC is a planned "keeper".

Leaving today for our real estate tour. Should be in Asheville tomorrow.

thanks for all the input

Steve Cantera
    330 GTC S/N 9593

18. BT

BT F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 21, 2005
    FL / GA
    Full Name:
    Bill Tracy
    Last month we spent a week in Seven Devils in an older home with carpet and mothball smells (yuck) but at about 4200 feet it was nice and cool, highs of around 70-74...
    The following week we were in a great cabin about 2 miles from Lake Lure but the temps were around 92-94 most days...
    The tubing on the Broad river was nice though.
    :)
    BT

19. F1dreamer

F1dreamer Karting

Nov 10, 2008
    Atlanta
    My family has had a vacation home in Highlands NC, and for me that is a little slice of heaven. ~4300 ft elevation so pretty temperate, 20min from Cashiers, little drive to Asheville. Was up there a few weeks ago and there is a ton on the market. And a lot of lots for sale.

20. SCantera

SCantera F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 4, 2004
    Living Falls NC
    Robert,

We are in the Biltmore Village in Asheville right now. Staying at the Grand Bohemian Hotel. Very nice place that opened in April. It's opposite the entrance to the Biltmore. Guess you know there is a big music festival going on here this weekend. The 31st annual Belle Cherre [sp?]. Looks like a great time. We hope to check it out between touring the nearby areas for real estate. Asheville is a neat town. Seems like a lot going on.

Will fill you in on our efforts.

best
    Steve

21. newgentry

newgentry Formula Junior

Nov 23, 2007
    Johnson City, TN
    Full Name:
    Robert
    Oh yeah, Bele Chere rocks, its a great time. Not really conducive to relaxed house hunting, though is it, with hundreds of thousands of people all over the place. We're heading up this afternoon ourselves, if you need anything give me a shout, or if you happen to be at the festival maybe we can get together, I'll buy you a beer. PM sent with cell phone number.

22. raider1968

raider1968 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 13, 2008
    NC Mnts & Asheville
    Full Name:
    John E
    You are total incorrect on the elevations in Waynesville - there are many many spots over 4,000 - I live east of town and am at 3600 feet - west of town you can go over 5,000 ft The ideal elevation is between 3300 and 4000. Over 4000 ft you will be in the clouds much of the time. Most important though is which way you face - if you only have exposure in one direction make sure it is not north but rather south, east, south east etc. The most rpime propery is on a ridge line where you have exposure in 2 directions

23. SCantera

SCantera F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 4, 2004
    Living Falls NC
    John,

Indeed areas around Waynesville are up there in elevation. Toured the area yesterday. One community we visited, Smokey Mtn Retreat was gorgeous. Homes are carefully sited into the mtns, no clear cutting of trees and some views are spectacular. One section was around 5000 ft. All homes are log homes it's a requirement. Many lots are very private. Temps were perfect. The developer is from Sarasota FL. Most homes are 2nd homes especially summer homes for Floridians.

Off for more touring in the Black Mtn area today. Boone-Blowing Rock-tomorrow. Banner Elk maybe Linville on Tuesday.

24. newgentry

newgentry Formula Junior

Nov 23, 2007
    Johnson City, TN
    Full Name:
    Robert
    Yeah, you're right, I failed on that one big time. I confused the "W's." I drove up there yesterday and realized I was thinking "Weaverville" because the exit's right on the interstate. Different, obviously, from "Waynesville." Sam's Gap is higher than I recalled as well - 3700', not 3300'. So, Steve, feel free to ignore everything I say, I obviously don't know my second home state near as well as I should :)

25. Ricambi America

Ricambi America F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner

... back from a GREAT weekend in Western NC myself. We stayed WAY up above Bryson City at a little place called the Hemlock Inn. Morning temps were in the low 60's I'd guess. Yesterday, when it was 90+ down in Bryson City, it was probably only 75 up the hill at the Inn.

Honestly, it is just a gorgeous part of the state. We were on coast in June (Bald Head Island), and the Mountains this weekend. North Carolina is a great place to call home.