What towns in NC mtns for 2nd home? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

What towns in NC mtns for 2nd home?

Discussion in 'North & South Carolina' started by SCantera, Jul 18, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. hyroller

hyroller Rookie

Feb 3, 2007
    Naples FL/LinvilleNC
    Steve, My daughter lives on 8th Ave downtown Olde Naples,quaint area for sure. You are correct Linville Ridge CC is a Lutgert development. I picked LinvilleRidge CC for great golf, amazing Fall vistas,climate, great accessability,and a safe and secure area,to name a few reasons.I built my home using a local contractor, 8.5 acres 4 car garage plenty of parking. I belive there are still some choice lots avail, in the Split Rock sub-div of LRCC, some Spec homes and resales also.Local supermarkets are Food Lion,and Lowes Foods, within 2 miles of the front gate.Harris Teeter in Boone about 12 miles. There are several Naples part time residents here also.WP

2. hyroller

hyroller Rookie

Feb 3, 2007
    Naples FL/LinvilleNC
    We really love Mediterra, but way too hot and humid in the summer, so we head for the hills of NC. WP

3. Juan-Manuel Fantango

Juan-Manuel Fantango F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 18, 2004
    Full Name:
    Juan
  4. Shark49

Shark49 Formula Junior

Mar 31, 2005
    Boone, NC
    Full Name:
    Nathan
    #29 Shark49, Jul 20, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2009
    I moved to Boone/Blowing Rock area from Orlando about 3 years ago and havent looked back. This part of the country is great and my wife and I love it. The people are great and we really enjoy having seasons and the mountains. I am a general contractor up here so I get to see a lot of the different areas and you can find some wonderful lots with acreage to build on or just buy a house. I am not sure if you are looking for a gated community or simply a nice place to put some roots down. No offense to Hyroller but I dont really recommend the gated communities around here because frankly they are full of Floridians and many like Linville Ridge, Elk River, Eagles Nest, Grandfather Club, and the like can be overpriced and quite snooty/uppity and some become ghost towns when winter comes. There is a new development in the heart of Boone called Council Oaks that has some beautiful lots. Very secluded but literally a few minutes from downtown Boone. I am actually thinking about building a spec home in there. There are plenty of great properties you can get all around the area. There is so much to do if you like the outdoors and there are always little community events going on all over. There is plenty of great dining here too. I think our only complaint so far is that there isnt a Target close by but we go to Hickory for that. And the Walmart here isnt like the stressful shopping you get in the ones in Florida. And the other is that the Ocean is a days drive away. Lots of people complain about these places being so far away but I remember in Orlando it could take me 45 minutes to go 6 miles so its all relative. My house is at about 4300 ft and the weather here is always nice. A hot day here is a cool day in Florida. We take day trips when we miss the big city life but I tell ya after a while you miss it less and less! And yes the back roads are so much fun.

Hope this helps,
    Nate

5. David_S

David_S F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    Mountains of WNC...
    Full Name:
    David S.
    Might consider something in the Burnsville or Spruce Pine areas. Quite a bit closer to Asheville than Blowing Rock, though I'm only at around 2500 feet at my place in Burnsville. Could always find a place just across town in Wolf Laurel for 4800 feet if you prefer something a tad cooler..

http://www.wolflaurelpreserve.com/

Much fewer tourists & less crowded than some of the highland areas, and likely cheaper too! :)

6. hyroller

hyroller Rookie

Feb 3, 2007
    Naples FL/LinvilleNC
    Shark49, No offence taken. I agree that many of the gated communities do empty out for the winter. Lots of Floridians in my community also, all here for the same "cool" reason, however many from Tenn ,Ohio, SC, NC and VA as well. On the positive side if you want golf course living with mountain views and a gated community then the Linville and Banner Elk area is worth looking at. By the way if you decide to stay for the snowy months , both Sugar and Beech Mts ski areas offer many winter sports and are within minutes drive of the BE area.

7. BT

BT F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 21, 2005
    FL / GA
    Full Name:
    Bill Tracy
    #32 BT, Jul 20, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2009
    I think the Banner Elk area is really nice, and a high elevation (as well as the Linville area). The Cashiers area is at a high elevation but I don't find the same quality of locals that you would find in the Boone / Banner Elk / Blowing Rock areas. Black Mountain is a good easy access alternative to the Blowing Rock location. Valle Crucis is one of our favorite places since you can get to Boone or Banner Elk in about 15-20 minutes, and the Valle makes you feel like you are in a Swiss countryside in my opinion. Lots of high quality homes int the area so your efforts won't be wasted on a minimal return.
    :)
    BT
    Edit: we plan on moving up to the area of Winston-Salem when our youngest daughter finished high school in 6 years. I can't wait!

8. SCantera

SCantera F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 4, 2004
    Living Falls NC
    All,

Thanks so much for all of this information. I am really enjoying everyone's perspective on the feel of the various towns and areas. Yes, I will be one of those Floridians that won't be in the home full time. Moreover, although I developed a golf course community myself [in PA] I don't play golf and really have no interest in living in a gc community. People often look at me funny when I say I live in Naples with its 100 golf courses and water everywhere, but don't play golf nor own a boat.

The more I hear about Banner Elk and Boone area the more it becomes high on my list for touring.

Keep the input coming. It really does help!

9. marcmc8867

marcmc8867 Formula Junior

Jul 27, 2004
    NC
    Full Name:
    Marc M.
    Update...I spent the morning at Eagles Nest and looked at a $5.1m home for sale at 5700 or so elevation and spectacular views. Absolutely gorgeous. That's right up your ally, Steve!

10. SCantera

SCantera F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 4, 2004
    Living Falls NC
    Robert,

Although I don't know much about the specifics of Asheville but our preferences include to be within a reasonable drive to, but not to live in Asheville. The thoughts about a 2nd home is to have nice mtn views, cool weather......a country get-a-away. We are not country club types so we have no interest in the Tiger Woods development nor any other Cliffs or golf development. Heavily amenitized developments have too many issues that I don't want to deal with nor do we need. I have been on the developer end of a 400+ golf home and a 300+ lake home community so I am very aware of the various situations. No thanks.

From what I gather it seems that Cashiers and Blowing Rock-Linville areas seem to receive great comments for beauty. Cashiers location seems split between CLT and ATL with probably a 3 hr drive either way. I was hoping to look at towns around 2 hours from CLT. Blowing Rock is within that drive time frame. I had also thought about Waynesville and Black Mountain. They have elevation at 3500+ in some of the neighborhoods, are close to Asheville and fall within a 2+/- hour drive to CLT. Having a selection of restaurants in Asheville has an appeal. But if the other choices are so compelling I would consider dropping the Asheville proximity parameter.

11. SCantera

SCantera F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 4, 2004
    Living Falls NC
    Marc,

$5.1m......yikes! These are Naples prices. And people wonder what we are smoking down here!

12. marcmc8867

Jul 27, 2004
    NC
    Full Name:
    Marc M.
    Haha, high indeed but blame your neighbors in Naples for the prices in NC!

13. SCantera

SCantera F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 4, 2004
    Living Falls NC
    When I make the trip I was going to tell everyone in NC that I was from Palatka FL.

14. marcmc8867

Jul 27, 2004
    NC
    Full Name:
    Marc M.
    Great idea. Is that as nice as Pahokee? Port-au-Prince has nothing on the place.

15. SCantera

SCantera F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 4, 2004
    Living Falls NC
    Never been to Pahokee. Palatka was the midway point between Gaineville [yes I'm a Gator] and the closest beach Crescent. All it had was potatos and speed traps.

16. BT

BT F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 21, 2005
    FL / GA
    Full Name:
    Bill Tracy
    Pahokee is famous for its mud (and their high school football players). It is one of those little Lake O. towns like Belle Glade...
    BT

17. SCantera

SCantera F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 4, 2004
    Living Falls NC
    Nate,

I am in process of planning our trip. We expect to get into NC late this Thursday. We plan on a one or two days in Cashiers, two in Asheville area and a couple in Boone/BR area. Maybe I can look you up while we are in the Boone area. Many times I prefer talking to other builders more than realtors since we usually blow a little less smoke :eek:).

Look for a PM.

18. DrStranglove

DrStranglove FChat Assassin
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Google Maps
    Full Name:
    DrS
    let me know when you are in the Boone BR area too.

19. marcmc8867

Jul 27, 2004
    NC
    Full Name:
    Marc M.
    Bill, that's the most polite description of Pahokee I've ever heard :)

I "discovered" that treasure by the lake en route the scenic way from Naples to my first Cavallino. Cruising thru town top-down in my red 360 Spider was a problem waiting to happen. That place is positively 3rd world.

And I live in Eastern NC...

20. SCantera

SCantera F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 4, 2004
    Living Falls NC
    There are lots of 3rd world towns in FL. Many in N FL and in the panhandle. Sometimes I travel through FL off the interstates to find great open stretches with no traffic nor development.....no surprises needed at high speed. But you oft cruise at slow speeds to places that probably have not changed for decades. Probably never will.

21. BT

BT F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 21, 2005
    FL / GA
    Full Name:
    Bill Tracy

We passed thru on our round trip of Lake O' also called the Okeeburgring... One of the few entertaining drives I can think of in this area!
    Check it out:
    http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=209114
    My wife likes Blowing Rock the best. I prefer Blairsville, GA just because there is nobody around and the roads are pretty much vacant. That NC 208/209 north opf Asheville in Hot Springs is one of the best roads I have ever been on, and NC 215 is always great.
    BT

22. newgentry

newgentry Formula Junior

Nov 23, 2007
    Johnson City, TN
    Full Name:
    Robert
    If you get around Asheville give me a holler. Not sure we'll be up this weekend, but if we are it'd be nice to meet you.

23. Irishman

Irishman F1 Rookie

Oct 13, 2005
    Raleigh
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    The Boone and Blowing Rock area is probably best. Highlands, Cashiers, Brevard, Waynesville, Hendersonville and Ashevillle are all hostile to Floridians :):).

24. Ricambi America

Ricambi America F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner

I'll be in Bryson City this weekend. Luca and I are going to check out the railroad scene and the model railroad museum. Weather forecast permitting, we'll take the Ferrari.

25. SCantera

SCantera F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 4, 2004
    Living Falls NC
    When I tour NC will it help that I was born raised in DE? How about my wife is English/Irish? [Yes she is confused]

Back in the 70s when I went to school at Vandy I spent many weekend in East TN and Smokeys. Got a lot of odd looks with my blue/yellow DE license plate. Made sure I kept on trukin' n didn't stop.

Maybe I should change out my FL plate for this trip.