What to use on electrical connectors? | FerrariChat

What to use on electrical connectors?

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by srephwed, Dec 16, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. srephwed

srephwed F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 29, 2012
    street,md
    Full Name:
    fred brown
    I have always used what I call dielectric grease on plug in connectors but have been told that it may not be the best product. Most burnt electrical connections start with corrosion which creates heat. I heard among other products that copper based never seez is acceptable because it has good continuity. What do you guys think? Thanks for any help

2. FCnew

FCnew Formula Junior

May 5, 2015
    Hong Kong / Canada
    Full Name:
    Jonathan

Dielectric grease (ie silicon grease) is electrically insulating. It can be used as a sealant around electrical contacts (eg rubber boot), but not on the contacts.

3. sipes216

sipes216 Karting

May 9, 2015
    this is where a lot of confusion comes in. you will see places call it "bulb grease" or other things of that nature. the metal contacts will still "pierce" through the di-electric silly jelly and make contact, however from experience (toyota headlight connectors...) it can actually retain a lot of dust/dirt on open connectors, like the toyotas have.

personally, i find rare few uses for the crud. i see the best thing to do for connectors is to have a bare, dry, regular terminal as it is.

unless the manufacturer calls for something extra, the goop can cause extra problems.
    one thing interesting it can do as well is to "hydrolock" within weatherproof connectors and push out any rubber connector empty pin hole plugs, or dislocate the weather sealing rings.

that said.
    i do not like it.
    my 1985 saab, sidtx's mondial, mom's 85 300diesel, two karmann ghias, and various other many garage lift stacked cars we have DO NOT use any of these materials.

we do it dry. no lube, baby!

4. Timo04

Timo04 Karting

Jul 2, 2007
    S.F. Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Tim
  5. sipes216

sipes216 Karting

May 9, 2015
    that looks very similar to CQC's electrical contact cleaner, although i wouldn't call theirs an oil...

even still, these are for cleaning oil, dirt, or debris from connectors. they are not intended for long-term terminal maintenance.
    only cleaning.

if every 6 months or year you want to take apart every connector and spray like crazy, go for it, but i don't have that kind of fanaticism.

6. dfranzen

dfranzen Formula 3
    Owner

Aug 31, 2013
    Ponte Vedra Beach , FL
    Full Name:
    Don Franzen
    Electrical Contact cleaner from Radio Shack or Walmart

7. Timo04

Timo04 Karting

Jul 2, 2007
    S.F. Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Tim
    #7 Timo04, Dec 17, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2015
    I don't "spray like crazy", and I am certainly not into a fanaticism of cleaning electrical contacts every 6 months...I only clean 'em only when they need it. ;-)

I use Wurth Contact Cleaner OL sparingly on CLEAN contact terminals that tend be susceptible to oxidation. It only leaves a light film, unlike "bulb grease". I find it great for use on marine items, like boat marker light connections, etc...also good for ignition switches, inside relays etc...

BTW: With regards to bulb grease/dielectric grease. This is good stuff, like anything else, when used appropriately. For example in my microwave oven overhead console. The halogen light bulbs in this console burn hot, draw a fair amount of current, and have a tendency to fuse into the socket over time. I find that bulb grease applied lightly on the threads of the bulb's base will prevent this fusing/welding from occurring. After using bulb grease, it much easier for me to unscrew a burnt out light bulb from it's socket, rather than take the entire bottom half of the microwave console a part to remove the socket and extract what's left of the base of the light bulb. Again the grease is applied sparingly, certainly not at all like packing a wheel bearing for example. The end result is similar to using "anti-sieze" compond on spark plugs.