What to do when a shop absconds with your car... | Page 3 | FerrariChat

What to do when a shop absconds with your car...

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by rjd2, Jul 17, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. dave80gtsi

dave80gtsi Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Ohio
    Full Name:
    Dave Meredith
    Wow!

Appreciating your interest to take the high road here, we'd all be keen to hear a brief no-names overview of what transpired so to bring you to this point today.

And, equally of interest, what can you do now, so to move the project forward from here?

DM

2. BJK

BJK F1 Rookie

Jul 18, 2014
    CT
    Did you pay a fair price for work performed? or pay for work Not performed? (never mind pain and aggravation / mental suffering )

3. IloveGT

IloveGT Formula 3
    BANNED

Oct 17, 2015
    call police.

4. PTG1

PTG1 Formula Junior

Oct 7, 2017
    UK
    Full Name:
    Pete
    I feel for you dude and hope you can get it all back together and can draw a line under all this trouble

5. rjd2

rjd2 Karting

Jul 28, 2016
    IloveGT: by the time I got everything back, I had effectively worn out my welcome with the sheriff's at BOTH counties involved(because there were numerous times in which I really had no idea if the car had been parted out, due to no communication whatsoever). They had both made it clear that this is a civil, not a criminal matter, FYI, if any of you find yourself in a similar boat.

BJK-I paid for work not performed to completion. The heads were rebuilt(this has been verified by the machine shop). The block was cleaned, and new sleeves installed. The engine bay was cleaned and repainted. The gas tanks were blasted and coated. Belts, gaskets, bearings and rings were purchased. And, the car was disassembled. No work had been done to the tranny, carbs, water pump, starter, alternator, or exhaust. In addition, I am fairly certain the car took rain at the interior; the seats and interior reeked of mildew when I got the chassis back, which it did not when I left it there. Granted, the seats were already ragged, but I still had to gut the interior down to the metal. I was initially quoted ~12k for an engine out belt service. As of Feb 2020, we were at 20k on the work, but, at that time, I still thought it was money well spent, seeing that it was going to be a car that could do another 50-70k miles before a major service. So, all in all, I'm not only out time, but money. I mean this with no judgment, but I am not a deep pocketed, black card wielding heir to a fortune. This L is a big one for me; not one I can just shrug off and pop up to the dealership to remedy. With that said, I came this far, so I intend to complete the car.

I know it's a long shot, but if any of you have ever rebuilt an engine on a 308, and could lend any tips towards "macro level checklist", that'd be awesome. I've got lines on shops that can do the rebuilds on everything left, save for the exhaust. As for re-assembly, I have access to a great tech, but he doesn't have experience with these cars. I would love to turn it over to a shop, but I think I may have some PTSD associated with the experience on this car, so I'm not sure I'm ready to be on someone else's time frame, regardless of how much I trust them. Will see how things play out for now....

6. Igor Ound

Igor Ound F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2012
    The Horn
    Full Name:
    Igor Ound
    Happy you got your Ferrari back and good luck with everything. Btw given your username and being in Ohio, any connection with the musician? I’m a big fan too :)

7. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    I have done a 308 before, and many since. I'm game for conversation. Where are you located by the way?

8. dave80gtsi

dave80gtsi Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Ohio
    Full Name:
    Dave Meredith
    There were a pair of excellent pictorial 308 engine rebuild articles in Forza magazine many years ago which you should review before you get in too deep. I have copies of these mags which I could copy and review with you (tell me again, please, what area of C-Bus you are in), or else you can still order both back issues directly:

https://www.forza-mag.com/issues/43

https://www.forza-mag.com/issues/44

If I can help (I've owned my 308 since 2003 and know them pretty well), let me know.

Dave Meredith / Powell