What to buy??? 3.2 or T | Page 2 | FerrariChat

What to buy??? 3.2 or T

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by ScottCDallas, Aug 13, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. hank sound

hank sound F1 Veteran

Jan 31, 2004
    Burbank, CA
    Full Name:
    Hank Garfield
    Hey Greg,

You forgot to mention one of the cooler features - - 3 position adjustable ride control. For all that the T gives us in advancements, I'll gladly pay the $1500 dollars difference in the cost for a straight "like for like" major service.

Cheers, Hank

2. davem

davem F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2002
    Stepford, Connecticut
    Full Name:
    dave m
    Normally you would be best to drive both. Keep in mind these are now old cars even the newest T model is over 20 yrs. Test driving both thinking each should be equally reflective of what's out there might be misleading.

Never drove a T, guess it might be better handling by the numbers. I did drive a 355 which has power steering and it felt numb after getting out of my 3.2
    Buying a Ferrari of this era like any old car is more about the experience than all out performance. You either get it or you don't.

Read about 328 vs. early 348's for an idea as well about reliability.
    In the end which ever one moves you the most is the right car.

3. raf456

raf456 Karting

Jan 27, 2013
    Chapel Hill, NC
    Full Name:
    Robert Freiburghouse
    I have owned both a 3.2 and a T and both were coupes. The T with adjustable shocks, power steering, lower center of gravity, more power, and a cleaner interior design is my favorite. Engine out service for the T is more costly but is only done every 3 to 5 years depending on who you believe and maybe on how hard you drive it. The looks of both cars are beautiful and I drove both regularly and on long trips. Be sure to get a car with service records. Good luck you will enjoy whatever you buy - nothing like a Ferrari from the 80s
    Bob

4. Black/black612

Black/black612 Karting

Apr 9, 2014
    London
    Full Name:
    Sebastian
    Get the T, it is such a great car!
    And with the power steering, you can share it with your wife!!!

5. ricksb

ricksb F1 Veteran

Apr 12, 2005
    Montclair Village
    Full Name:
    B. Ricks
    My wife wants nothing to do with my t. She thinks it's too "temperamental"....plus it's 'my car'.

6. gsfent

gsfent Formula 3

Nov 16, 2009
    PB County, Florida
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    When I was looking, I narrowed my choices down to a late (88+) 3.2 or a t. For me the decision was easy, I found the t a much better car FOR ME in almost every respect. I weighed the extra cost of service every 5 years, but other than that and better cheese graters on the 3.2, i found the t better in every way. It was the right choice for me.

But recognize, every one has different likes and needs. I think if a prospective driver can drive good examples of each, then that buyer makes a knowledgeable choice, whichever they prefer. What is right for one is not necessarily right for another.

So, vive le difference!!!

Regards,
    Jerry

7. ricksb

ricksb F1 Veteran

Apr 12, 2005
    Montclair Village
    Full Name:
    B. Ricks
    Agree. I started with a 3.2 then drove a t. For me it was the better choice but both cars fit into a similar window.

8. jimpo1

jimpo1 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 30, 2001
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Jim E
    Our very own DFW resident Tillman has over 100k on his 328, same 3.2 engine that's in the Mondial.

9. Burch1

Burch1 Formula 3

May 26, 2012
    Singapore/Carmel, IN
    Full Name:
    Greg
    Now you're opening a can of worms bringing up the much discussed timing belt change interval!
    You will find many many different opinions on the subject for sure.
    Cheers,
    Greg

Originally Posted by ScottCDallas View Post
    Have you ever seen over 100k on a Mondial with out an engine rebuild?

10. ProCoach

ProCoach F1 Veteran
    Owner

Sep 15, 2004
    VIR Raceway
    Full Name:
    Peter Krause
    This is absurd, and certainly not a legitimate reason to avoid the t.

A shop's incompetence and procrastination is not a reason to condemn a car.

After owning a large independent Ferrari shop for over two decades, I became familiar with the latter...