What to buy??? 3.2 or T | FerrariChat

What to buy??? 3.2 or T

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by ScottCDallas, Aug 13, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ScottCDallas

ScottCDallas Rookie

Aug 13, 2014
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Scott Clinton
    Hello,

I am thinking of purchasing a Mondial and what to ask for some advice.

I have owned many different type of exotic cars but never a Ferrari.

Is the 3.2 a better choice than the T if I am looking for lower cost maintenance?

Can the timing belt and sevice be done on either model without removing the engine?

Are the car parts the same cost for the two different models?

I have owned Maserati's for years and I have noticed that the clutch parts on the the modern models are very very expensive to replace.

Can the cars be driven on long trips? 400 plus miles?

Any advice will be appreciated. I have always loved the Mondial, but don't want to get into a car that needs constant repairs.

2. davebdave

davebdave Formula 3
    Owner

Mar 18, 2007
    Northern VA
    Full Name:
    Dave W
    Hi Scott. You have narrowed your search to two excellent choices. The 3.2 will be less expensive to maintain. But, the t may be worth the extra money depending.

The 328 Ferrari has a reputation for being one of the most bullet proof and easily maintained Ferrari and the Mondial 3.2 should follow. The t on the other hand has the 348 drivetrain which is a little more needy but still very solid.

With the t you get power steering (perfect assist with excellent road feel and one hand parking) plus adjustable suspension. Both of these last a long time but eventually require expensive maintenance.

A clutch kit in a t is $2500 vs maybe $500 for a 3.2

four engine mounts for a t =$12,000 (don't worry, you can modify $100 mounts to work)

Most of our issues so far with the t have been related to the Mortonic 2.7 engine control and related sensors.

The engine has to come out of the t to change the single timing belt and you have to raise the car to get it out. However, the 3.2 twin belts can be done in car.

For me, I love the 80s Formula One layout of the t vs the traverse engine in the 3.2. It's more race car with the transmission behind the engine, the 11 quart dry sump and the lower center of gravity. The cockpit on the t is also more Formula One whereas the feel of the 3.2 is open and Classic.

The best thing you can do is drive these cars. 400 mile trips are no problem if you drive regularly.

Here are two websites to check out if you want to familiarize yourself with the two similar but different powertrains.

Replacing Ferrari 308 Mondial timing belts

www.my348.com

Happy hunting,
    Dave

3. YELO T

YELO T Formula 3

Jul 2, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Jonathan
    Dave said it all.

I'll add that the extra horsepower on the T is a huge advantage. The Mondials are very heavy!

4. ScottCDallas

ScottCDallas Rookie

Aug 13, 2014
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Scott Clinton
    Thanks Dave and Yelo,

That really helps! Do you give some web links are names of places where I would get the parts for either car? I want to compare the prices for things such as brakes etc.

I drive a 94 Bentley Turbo RL which has been a fairly good car but the parts are beyond outrageously price. I think its time to step up to a Ferrari! The 3.2 really sounds like the car that will be better for me. Have you ever seen over 100k on a Mondial with out an engine rebuild?

Take Care,

Scott

5. MvT

MvT F1 Rookie

May 25, 2013
    The Netherlands - NH
    Full Name:
    Tijn
    In Europe it is not uncommon actually :) other cars that run on petrol from the same era would need a rebuild of heads as well around such millage (at least most Euro and Asian cars) So compared to common cars in my humble opion that is a fair average millage for a petrol car. Some may run longer and some shorter. Depends all how the previous owner(s) treated their cars. Tend to drive mine around the clock :)

6. Brian420

Brian420 Formula Junior

Oct 27, 2009
    Suburb of Detroit
    Full Name:
    Brian
    Dave: Your comment should be a sticky. Well said.

Regards,
    Brian

7. 123howie

123howie F1 World Champ

Jul 3, 2014
    El Segundo CA
    Full Name:
    Howie
    Hi Scott, you do know there is a BIG difference on the outside and interior of the early cars versus a latter T model. And yes the engine is also more HP.

8. davebdave

davebdave Formula 3
    Owner

Mar 18, 2007
    Northern VA
    Full Name:
    Dave W
    Thanks Brian.

Scott, I buy all of our Ferrari and some aftermarket parts from Ricambi

Ferrari, Maserati, Lamborghini Parts - Ricambi America, Inc.

Click on the Online Catalog Button to check pricing, but before you do that pour yourself a drink and sit down. Ricambi has competitive pricing but these are Ferrari Parts.

However, with a little research (on this site) you can often find workable replacement parts at a lower cost that are actually for other cars. For example we lost a crank sensor. Genuine Ferrari part $250ish, close enough Kia Sorento part $25.

9. PATLEW

PATLEW Formula 3

Dec 3, 2007
    Marvin /Waxhaw
    Full Name:
    Patrick Lewandowski
    What ever you do buy the best maintained documented car out there otherwise have a large wallet to get them right. The t looks far better then the earlier models has better HP and better performance but will cost more to maintain. If I were you I would look at your budget and see if you can hold out and buy a 99 360 prices are coming down and you will have less issues and better performance.

No disrespect to all the Mondial owners but I speak from exp. I had a 89 t loved it but put about 40k into it to make it right. I thought I got a good deal unfortunately I learned a valuable lesson no such thing as a cheap Ferrari. Buy with caution these cars are getting older and the parts hard to get and very costly. I went from the t to a 360 spider and now a 430 hopefully a 458 soon.

10. jgoodman

jgoodman F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 29, 2009
    Central PA
    Full Name:
    Jay Goodman
    I think Dave summarized the differences really well. The only thing I'd add is the 3.2 is more raw, with no power steering, no abs unless you get an 88, and no adjustable suspension. What you get with both are gated shifters and fabulous revving engines. I love both cars and you cannot go wrong with either. Service history is probably more important than prices of individual parts. I've spent a ton keeping my 3.2 engine perfectly tuned. Both cars can cost you dearly.

11. dfranzen

dfranzen Formula 3
    Owner

Aug 31, 2013
    Ponte Vedra Beach , FL
    Full Name:
    Don Franzen
    So I have a 88 3.2 w/abs

lets make sure that we are all on the same page for specs

3.2 Coupe 3109 gvw 266hp

T Coupe 3144gvw 300hp

ref: Ferrari Mondial - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

NOT REALLY a difference

so maintenance ican be cheaper for 3.2 because belts service do not require engine out

T has many more bells and whistles

I put easy 300 plus miles on a weekend with monthly FCA drive no issues

either choice is fantastic!

ITS A FERRARI!

12. godabitibi

godabitibi F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 11, 2012
    Papineauville, Quebec
    Full Name:
    Claude Laforest
    #12 godabitibi, Aug 13, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2014
    In my two years ownership of a 3.2 with which I did quite a bit of miles I had no bad experience. I would buy a T or a 3.2 anytime again. I loved the car. Drove it for long distance trips and my only complain is the cabin is hot on summer days when A/C is not working.
    I would probably try a T as the next one.

BTW when I bought mine it was one of the cheapest on the market with high mileage of 70,000. It was not the best car you could find and it was STILL a good car.

13. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    Here's some light reading; excellent commentary in addition to what has already been said here. :)

http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/mondial/391298-mondial-3-2-vs-t.html

http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/mondial/387219-mondial.html

http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/mondial/359422-mondial-3-2-a.html

http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/mondial/357698-if-i-buy-one-best-me-help.html

http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/mondial/356579-looking-purchase-mondial.html

http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/mondial/293744-mondial-i-am-not-crazy.html

http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/mondial/259658-mondial-3-2-vs-t.html

http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/mondial/166630-lets-compare-mondial-80-88-vs-89-a.html

http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/mondial/147582-mondial-t-mondial-3-2-a.html

http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/mondial/287300-cheap-308-328-mondials-they-worth.html

I may have missed one or two... :)

14. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    #14 Wade, Aug 13, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  15. Brian420

Brian420 Formula Junior

Oct 27, 2009
    Suburb of Detroit
    Full Name:
    Brian
    You didn't mention it and nobody has asked - will you be doing the wrenching yourself? I think the 3.2 might be a little easier to work on. Basic knowledge might be able to get you by, especially with the help of this group. I would think a T might require a bit more knowledge as it's a bit more advanced.

16. hank sound

hank sound F1 Veteran

Jan 31, 2004
    Burbank, CA
    Full Name:
    Hank Garfield
    #16 hank sound, Aug 13, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2014
    I think that looking at the pros and cons between the 3.2 and the t, we must realize that whichever one we chose, we'll embrace the features (or lack of) that our choice represents.

The t fans love their t cars - while the 3.2 fans love their 3.2 cars. Really, it's kind of "I made this choice and I love her to death".

But for the individual that has yet to pull the trigger .......... ahh, very interesting !! I really believe this fear of the t's engine out cost, is way overblown. It's always the "extra stuff that's broken, that brings the cost up - - but that can occur with the 3.2 as well. My t, compared to my friends 3.2,with both of us needing "full and proper" major service (belt change, tensioner bearings, cam seals and O rings, valve adjust. and on and on .......is about $1500 difference due to the engine out for my t.

Slow Down and Check Engine lights have nothing to do with major (belt service). A major service will not get rid of "issues". BTW, a major service, in and of itself, is not an issue. It's a scheduled (much argued about, timing wise) service. Fix the issues first.

As for the clutch, later t cars had single disc clutches which are about $500 less than the dual disc components for the earlier t cars.

And now - to my "fan" seat. Driving the t is filled with surprises that bring on the biggest of grins. Parking the car .......... yeah, so what about it??? The power steering seems to go away at about 5 mph. And OMG, the adjustable suspension ..... it's so bloody amazing, that alone is a viable trade off for the engine out surcharge. BUT WAIT, then there is the higher HP, lower center of gravity - - etc.

But hey, that's just me. I already have my Rachel. You are still looking at your choices. I seriously advise driving both before making the decision .......... unless you've already made up your mind.

As all our Mondial brothers and sisters know ....... these cars are wonderful !!!

Cheers,

Hank

17. godabitibi

godabitibi F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 11, 2012
    Papineauville, Quebec
    Full Name:
    Claude Laforest
    The T as an electronic fuel injection is I think also more complicated when time comes to diagnose. Does it need a Leonardo tool? The 3.2 is K-jectronic which has minimal electronics.

18. Sweet928

Sweet928 Formula Junior

Oct 1, 2011
    CA
    I considered a T first but I decided I like the bigger side grills and flared fenders of the QV much more than the toned down T body. Although I really like the T interior much much more. Engine in service sealed the deal for me. Personally I like the black bumpers of my 85 too even though most don't. These are old cars, I like that mine looks old. The T body looks (sort of) not new but not old to me. I prefer classic over modern. My only regret is not buying a Ferrari sooner! They are like nothing else and I've owned almost everything else. I.e. German, Japanese, Sweedish, American and British.

19. Valenzo

Valenzo F1 Veteran

Dec 4, 2010
    IL & NC
    Full Name:
    Ted
  20. Mondi88

Mondi88 Karting

Aug 4, 2014
    South West, UK
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Having faced exactly the same conundrum you face now only a few weeks ago, this rather obvious statement may help:
    I found the T "felt" like a car from the 90’s. The 3.2 "felt" like a car from the 80’s.
    Power steering, updated interior and more poke all helped with that "feel".

Personally, I wanted something from the 80’s. The bullet-proof reputation of the 3.2 drivetrain and no engine-out belt change only helped.
    I’m over the moon with mine but admit, I do find myself pondering on a T photo from time to time thinking she is my “what if” - the girl you never dated from college :)

Enjoy the conundrum though - nice place to be!

21. Beau365

Beau365 Formula 3

Feb 27, 2005
    Congested London
    Full Name:
    Beau
  22. jjmalez

jjmalez F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 8, 2005
    Northern Illinois
    Full Name:
    Joseph
    +1

23. ProCoach

ProCoach F1 Veteran
    Owner

Sep 15, 2004
    VIR Raceway
    Full Name:
    Peter Krause
    I had a QV Coupe, serviced and maintained two dozen plus 3.0/3.2 Mondials and have owned a t Coupe (that I've serviced since new) for nearly ten years. I sold my shop several years ago and am about to send my t Coupe up to Competizione for service, then it may be for sale...

The t has it, hands down. Properly serviced and maintained, the t cars are more reliable than the Bentley, IMO, and MUCH more fun to drive than the older 3.0/3.2 liter cars.

I drive a car to put a smile on my face, not to make excuses for it's age/lack of juice/relative inexpensiveness. The t Coupe does that for me, and has for a long time.

Enjoy, the search is half of the fun!

24. Rapalyea

Rapalyea Formula 3

Jun 18, 2013
    Georgia Mountains US
    Full Name:
    David Rapalyea alias
    Its not just the engine out cost for the T. It is the inconvenience. We have one member who had his T in shop very long time for simple water pump, which is engine out. Three point two is easy. And I have 6500 miles on my 3.2 coupe and scattered the clutch plate.

I took internet instructions to local rural Georgia mountain mechanic and asked if he could do that. Not only did he do that, he did it better then I would ever expect Ferrari to do it because it was an interesting thing to do. He even asked if I wanted belts changed. And of course it was probably 1/3 the cost and I did not need to ship it to Atlanta.

And it is true the 3.2 is very much old school mechanical. You will not parrallel park this car. And I like this thing about it. I have a 1965 Corvair Monza Convertible which is the best convertible I ever had. But one thing about it is it is one level above a riding lawn mower and has more character then ... well ... nothing much has character like riding lawn mower Corvair.

PS: My deffinition of good convertible is it will not blow my cowboy hat off at 90 mph. Which is the Corvair's top speed.

25. Burch1

Burch1 Formula 3

May 26, 2012
    Singapore/Carmel, IN
    Full Name:
    Greg
    Go with the T.
    All the cons about it center around the engine-out cost so just be sure to purchase one that has had the service recently.
    The pros are significant (and important in my opinion), that is, much more power, lower center of gravity for the engine resulting in great handling and a very neutral handling bias, power steering, and last but not least, a smoother design and modern look.
    Cheers,
    Greg