What tires are you running on your F12? | FerrariChat

What tires are you running on your F12?

Discussion in 'F12/812' started by Gh21631, Jan 19, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    Mine will be used as often as possible but I have a raptor for truly bad weather. The tires mine came with are about 5 years old and may as well be ice skates in the cold. Figure I should order some new ones asap.

2. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Get the MPSS K2 set. I think you will find that those are what most prefer. Better than the PZero in all aspects.

deltona, Senna1994, x z8 and 2 others like this.
  3. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    New will be better but still ice skates in the cold! I was thinking the OEM tires again. The others don't have the same sizes or ratings I think.

350MH83 likes this.
  4. jaapio

jaapio Karting

Feb 19, 2016
    Bruinisse, the Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Jaap
    I went for the Michelin Pilot Sport 4s, sort of the replacement of the Michelin Pilot Super Sport.

These are good tyres for summer weather, you might be looking for winter tyres maybe ? Pirelli Winter Sottozero ?

deltona, 350MH83 and Caeruleus11 like this.
  5. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    Maybe 1 set of winter tires and another set for summer is the right call.

350MH83 and Caeruleus11 like this.
  6. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    It is absolutely right right call if you want to really stomp on it in sub 45F temps.

I think you can get MPS4S tires in the OEM sizes though they are not Ferrari "K" spec- but I would take the generic Michelin spec new tire over the Ferrari spec last tire. I find the MPS4S a big improvement over the MPSS (which was really great).

x z8 and Gh21631 like this.
  7. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    You can in fact get 315/35R20 MPS4S in K spec. It's the tyres for the 812. They can then be mated up with the 255/35R20 non-K spec front size

I'm aware that the example below is from a local website, it's merely as an example. There seems to be a lot of confusion about these tyres - some dealers even deny their existence. Any yes, here they are in stock Delivery 2-5 days.

https://www.daek-guru.dk/produkt/Michelin/Pilot-Sport-4S/315-35-ZR20/R-374216

Solid State and Gh21631 like this.
  8. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    Interesting. Two questions come to mind. With respect to F12, are the standard MPSS tires K1 rated or just the rears? Also, does the K1 spec 4S rears you keenly identified also apply to a K1 spec for the F12 or is it just K1 spec for the 812? Much thanks.

Il Co-Pilota likes this.
  9. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    Thank you, unfortunately they are either near impossible, or actually impossible to obtain in the US, which is where it appears the OP is located. I would be thrilled to find them!

10. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    The 315/35R20 MPSS K1 are the 599 GTO. THE 255/35R20 K2 and 315/35R20 K2 is the F12 set. The 599 set is shaved and hace different compound, different tread width and different pattern.

The MPS4S K1 I linked is the 812 rear.

Solid State likes this.
  11. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    Thanks. K2 for both front and rear on F12. I don't think Ferrari re-qualifies new tires for their cars.

Il Co-Pilota likes this.
  12. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    K1, K2, K3 etc simply means which came first. The higher number is just a later or different version of the same size and weight/speed rating. For instance Both the FF and 458 share the same rear size and speed rating, but the tyres are different. However, they are both named K1 as one is an SL and the other an XL, thus they are technically not the same. Had the 458 shared the 245 front size like the 488, either the 458 or FF would have needed to be a K2 or higher. This is actually why there are K1, K2 and K3 in the 245/35R20 MPSS range, as that front size speed/weight rating is shared between the FF, Cali T and 488. It can be a bit confusing, but it's okay. It's the same with the Speciale and Pista MPSC2. The Speciale tyre came first and is the K1 set. The Pista set is the K2.

13. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Yes. The number for front and rear is always the same. That is in part how you can tell what belongs with what. As in the example with the FF, Cali T and 488. FF uses a 295 K1 rear and the 245 K1 front. The Cali T uses a completely different 285 section rear but both front and rear are K2 to show the difference between the FF and Cali T front. Same goes for the 305 section K3 488 rear and matching K3 245 front.

14. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Maybe these guys will ship them stateside? It'll cost you an arm and a leg.

https://www.mytyres.co.uk/rshop/Tyres/Michelin/Pilot-Sport-4S/315-35-ZR20--110Y--XL-K1--mit-Felgenschutzleiste--FSL-/R-374216

Fronts you can get here.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Michelin&tireModel=Pilot+Sport+4S&partnum=735YR0PS4SXLV2&vehicleSearch=false&fromCompare1=yes

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  15. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    Just thinking about it, I dont see why 812 tires (model and size) wouldn't work well on the F12.

16. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    There has been a lot of debate about this, and I absolutely second your opinion. Like I have said, a few around my neck of the woods have done it, and all have been very pleased. You don't even need new tyres. The 812 rubber will fit on the 9.5" wide F12 rims.

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  17. GeeDubb

GeeDubb Rookie

Jan 25, 2019
    Full Name:
    Glen Williams
    Any feedback on tyre roar road noise comparison between the summer pirellis and mitchelins ?

Sent from my SM-G935F using FerrariChat.com mobile app

18. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    There's not a lot of difference between the MPSS and MPS4S. But that's basically down to rhe fact that it is hard to remove something from something that is hardly there in the first place. The MPSS was very quiet, and the MPS4S is slightly smoother stll, but both are very good.
    The PZero is very rough and noisy by comparison. There's no competition here. The PZero 4 is a huge improvement over the PZero in this regard, but still not on the same level as Michelin. They are close to the MPSS, but not quite there and they do ride more rough. That's my experience based on experiencing these tyres on the F12, 812, Lusso, FF and the 4XX series of cars.

19. Senna1994

Senna1994 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Orange County
    Full Name:
    Anthony T
    The MPSS is so superior to the PZero it is a night and day difference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Il Co-Pilota likes this.
  20. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    That's a blanket statement and thus incorrect. They both have their pros and cons. The Pirellis are more sport (stiffer sidewalls, handle punishment better, attain greater peak performance), but the Michelins are friendlier (less noisy, more supple, require less warming up). It's a matter of preference and driving conditions.

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  21. otakki

otakki Formula 3

Mar 24, 2016
    Some forum members have posted that Michelin's manufacturing quality is way more consistent than Pirelli.

22. Outrun

Outrun Karting

Same old tyre debate.....

I prefer Michelin but that’s because the Pzero takes too long to get to temperature and i live in Scotland where it’s more cold than hot!

I got MPSS 4S for my FF with K tread easily enough. If i can help anyone in the US get some tyres and Europe and ship them to you, let me know. My wife owns a courier company!

It does seem that we have more availability in Europe, I got mine from Costco of all places!

Look at mytyres.com and camskill.co.uk for a good idea of prices and availability here. Again, happy to receive Europe sourced tyres and ship them onwards for you.

If you track your car, properly warm pzeros will likely be faster but if just drive around, Michelin will likely be easier to live with day to day.

REALZEUS likes this.
  23. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    Had more problems with the Michelins than the Pirellis.

What I 've been saying all along. Also. warm weather suits the Pirellis, cold weather the Michelins.