What should my next car be? | FerrariChat

What should my next car be?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by 4ROARE, Jun 5, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 4ROARE

4ROARE Karting

Apr 15, 2012
    Louisiana
    Full Name:
    Martin
    Hi guys. I know this subject has been raised many times but I'm doing it anyway! I'm interested in your wisdom, experience, advice and opinions. What should my 2nd Ferrari be? If you'll indulge me for a bit let me give you my car history.
    Had a 1997 BMW M3. Just a great car. Loved the feel. Yeah, yeah, under-powered but I'd still be driving it today had my son not totaled it. That is a story for another day. My dd is a 2008 M3. Superior in most every way to my '97, but I really miss the direct feel. Damn you, BMW!
    In 2011 I acquired a 2005 F430 - wait for it - manual! Best thing I've ever driven. Absolutely great. Had it for 5 or 6 years. Suffered a family tragedy, nothing was fun for me any more, car wasn't being driven, was tired of spending money on it, sold it, bought a condo for my daughter to go to college out of state. Selling was the right decision at the time, wish today that I hadn't!
    So here I am today - about to sell the company and ready to jump back in. I'm budgeting $230,000. My wife wants me to get an F12 which does seem appealing. I once had a very brief drive in a 430 Scud - loved it! So raw! I'm all about the direct feel. Doing 150+ mph is not what really interests me, being involved is where it's at! But am I too old and beat up now to endure living with such a brutal ride? Is there a model that I should be considering besides those two?
    Any comments at all are more than welcome - what do you think?

paulchua and Chris Carlsen like this.
  2. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    Portofino or very late California T with handling pack will be faster than your 430 but with much more comfort - maybe an early 812 is (nearly) within budget to get the improved driveability over the F12

3. mchas

mchas F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 5, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Challenge Stradale?

4ROARE likes this.
  4. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    Import a euro E36 M3 or go crazy and buy an E36 M3 Lightweight. If you really insist on a Ferrari then a Scud or 599.

5. gw32

gw32 Formula Junior

Apr 6, 2017
    Sonoma, CA
    Full Name:
    Gary
    Your probably not going to be able to get a sufficient test drive so I would recommend a Scud or 458 spider. If you don't like either you would most likely be able to get your money back as prices have been firm to rising. The are about the same price $200-225K range. Scud is definitely more analog and a unique driving experience, very special. The 458 offers similar performance but is a bit less driver focused and more comfortable. My 2 cents worth. Good luck.

4ROARE likes this.
  6. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    My wife HATED the Scuderia, so if the intended usage includes her a test drive is a must.

Like the idea of a F12 or 812.....gentlemen GTs

4ROARE likes this.
  7. Oz-ATL

Oz-ATL Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 14, 2011
    1 car - CS (if paddles are easier long term and very “direct feel”). Could be rough on the mrs.

2 cars - Gated 355 Spider ($70k) + 993 TT or Cali T ($160k) - depending on if you have the space and the wife wants more of a GT to cruise in.

4ROARE likes this.
  8. Enzo Sebastian

Enzo Sebastian Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 2, 2020
    Amsterdam
    Full Name:
    Laurence Sebastian
    F12. I'm not sure if you'd want to make longer trips with your wife and have a bit of a more 'luxury' feel, but to me, the F12 really has it all:
    - the looks
    - the sound
    - the power
    - the handling and overall performance

I think it aged beautifully and I'd love to have one next to the F430 some day. I also come from the BMW M world (M3, Z3M, M5) but the fact of the matter is my wife enjoys going on weekend trips with the BMW's, not so much with the F430. Too uncomfortable, too loud, etc.

4ROARE likes this.
  9. Newjoint

Newjoint Formula 3

Jan 17, 2016
    458 as prices have stabilized- plenty fast with excellent feedback and feel yet more comfortable than a scud. The 488 lost the sound and direct connection between your brain and engine so I would avoid
    If you want a 12 then F12 or early 812- comfort and speed if not quite as sharp as midV8s but the sound is glorious-812 prices continue to drop and are usually in the warranty and maintenance period

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

4ROARE likes this.
  10. 4ROARE

4ROARE Karting

Apr 15, 2012
    Louisiana
    Full Name:
    Martin
    Thank you, guys! Loving the comments.
    "improved driveability over the F12"... how so? Would you care to elaborate?

11. 4ROARE

4ROARE Karting

Apr 15, 2012
    Louisiana
    Full Name:
    Martin
    I've flirted with the idea of another E36... I struggle with the fear that one can never go home again. But, hell, all I need to do is test drive one (again) and see if the magic is still there. Still could get a Ferrari as well, right? Just get a bigger garage. You have really got me thinking!

BMW.SauberF1Team likes this.
  12. 4ROARE

4ROARE Karting

Apr 15, 2012
    Louisiana
    Full Name:
    Martin
    I have had no experience with a Challenge Stradale but everything I've read & watched about them has been fantastic.

13. 4ROARE

4ROARE Karting

Apr 15, 2012
    Louisiana
    Full Name:
    Martin
    Thank you. I do need to see what a 458 is like.

14. 4ROARE

4ROARE Karting

Apr 15, 2012
    Louisiana
    Full Name:
    Martin
    Thanks. I am laughing. I guarantee she'll hate the Scud! Some days that could be useful, if you get my drift.

15. 4ROARE

4ROARE Karting

Apr 15, 2012
    Louisiana
    Full Name:
    Martin
    Thanks for the advice. While I'd dearly love to be in the maintenance and warranty period don't think I can stretch all the way to an 812. They are gorgeous, though.

16. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    Yeah, but it will limit your use and may be used to fuel arguments. I think you are very fortunate to get a thumbs up on an F12. I watched a video review of the 812 GTS and it may be a perfect car for me down the road.

17. craze

craze Formula 3

Mar 5, 2021
    Melbourne
    Full Name:
    Michael
  18. tazz99

tazz99 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 16, 2007
    Kennesaw, GA
    Full Name:
    Seth
    If you really want “direct feel” then an older car is the way to go. 308/328 is about as direct as you can get. For something a bit more refined a 355 3 pedal car or if you want a more GT experience a 550 can’t be beat. Maybe a 456 even.

19. 83Mondialqv

83Mondialqv Formula Junior

May 18, 2021
    New York
    Full Name:
    Vito L
  20. 83Mondialqv

83Mondialqv Formula Junior

May 18, 2021
    New York
    Full Name:
    Vito L
  21. Wikdstrate

Wikdstrate Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2013
    New York
    Full Name:
    Alec
    OP's budget is approx $230,000. Show me where you can find a 599 GTO for $230K and I'll buy a dozen of them. :rolleyes:

ScottS and technom3 like this.
  22. Qksilver

Qksilver F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 11, 2005
    Philadelphia
    Full Name:
    Joe
    The nicest 550 you can find, of course!

4ROARE likes this.
  23. rampante550

rampante550 Formula Junior