What should Ferrari's penalty be? | FerrariChat

What should Ferrari's penalty be?

Discussion in 'Other Racing' started by dretceterini, Sep 30, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

?

What should Ferrari's penalty be?

1. Loss of all team points from Fuji

2. Loss of all team AND driver points from Fuji

3. Elimination from the team championship

4. Loss of points for the drivers only

5. No penalty at all

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. dretceterini

dretceterini F1 Veteran

Apr 28, 2004
    Etceterini Land
    Full Name:
    Dr.Stuart Schaller
    McLaren's violation of the rules was far worse than Ferrari's violations at Fuji, but Ferrari should get penalized for starting on inters against the Steward of the Race's orders and for blantantly having Mazza pit aginst the rules saying no team orders allowed. I think what would be fair and reasonable is for Ferrari to loose the team points it gained at Fuji.

I think the penalty against McLaren is a bit unfair too, as they were GIVEN the stuff; they did not actually steal it.

2. Lexdiamonnyc

Lexdiamonnyc Formula Junior

Dec 5, 2004
    North NJ
    Full Name:
    Lex
    they won't get punished.........it's Ferrari, the FIA won't do anything unless another team complains.....
    favortism, of course........but it is what it is, and we're all used to it at this point.

did you hear the excuse for not coming out in extreme wets??........the said that since it was an email and not an official letter brought to them via courier, for them to sign and send it back to the FIA.....lol, funny stuff......

3. 62 250 GTO

62 250 GTO F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Nova Scotia Canada
    Full Name:
    Neil
    Your bias is clear and how did Ferrari cheat? An email wasn't read until after the race started, that's easy to check. Then the cars came in and pitted. Where's the cheating? Did they try to make the standard wets look like monsoon tires? No? OK, where's the cheat?

By the way, when someone does something illegal and no one reports him, then takes all of the information from him, then spreads it around and entire corporation for everyone to use in thei own department, that's cheating. I'm sure the rules state, 1. you can't give or sell the information and 2. You can't buy or accept the information.

Ferrari finished 3rd and 6th, if anything getting the email late was the cause for any investigation. Wasn't the Ferrari pair called in to pit lane by the Stewards? I believe that's the only way Ferrari would have pitted.

Get real cry baby.

4. Formula 1

Formula 1 Formula 3

Feb 20, 2005

Are we going to start this again ?

5. Remy Zero

Remy Zero Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2005
    KL, Malaysia
    Full Name:
    MC Cool Breeze
    whats the big fuss? it's not to say they gained any advantage by starting on inters. that whole choice robbed them of a potential victory.

as for team orders, get used to it. it has always been there, and it'll always be there.

6. GTE

GTE F1 World Champ

Jun 24, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Marnix

possesion is enough plus it didn't help their (McLaren's) case that they didn't take the initiative to inform the FIA and Ferrari.

On Ferrari: How have they cheated in Fuji?

7. Chaos

Chaos Formula 3

Sep 29, 2004
    Cardiff. UK
    Full Name:
    Nick.
    not in most unbiased eyes its not.
    however its been proven they did use the info - or rather several staff members took it upon themselves to use it against management orders.

all teams were instructed to start on the Full Wets.
    SF decided to ignore that explicit instruction and started on Inters.
    the gamble being that i. they wouldnt get caught and ii. once the safety car went in if the rain had stopped or got a lot lighter then they would be on the right tyres and no one else would be.

8. Senna1994

Senna1994 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Orange County
    Full Name:
    Anthony T
    Really who cares, no penalty.

9. DeSoto

DeSoto F1 Veteran

Nov 26, 2003
    Do you think that they would be so stupid to make such an evident cheat? Everybody can see the tyres, and they are big, and there are four in each car! Not at all, Ferrari are the best in cheating, they wouldn´t try that!

10. Lexdiamonnyc

Dec 5, 2004
    North NJ
    Full Name:
    Lex
    funny that every other team got the email, hell......even the Speed commentators knew about it before the race started.......
    and no, Ferrari didn't cheat...........just violated a rule, much to their disadvantage.......way to screw your drivers Mr. Todt., not like Massa was going to do much in the rain anyway.

no sir, we're all well aware of the FIA's favortism towards Ferrari, so no need to revisit that subject again.....
    I was just sayin, they won't get any type of punishment for violating a rule, that's all.....

11. 355

355 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 4, 2005
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Frank
    As for spygate...its done get over it
    As for Ferrari cheating with the wrong tires....They were forced in to change them and the came out at the back. What do you want them to do now? I can see that you too are a real Ferrari fan....Maybe we should fine Ferrari $100,000,000

12. Lexdiamonnyc

Dec 5, 2004
    North NJ
    Full Name:
    Lex
    quoted for truth!!

13. LightGuy

LightGuy Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 4, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    David
    Your calling others to get real ?
    Comical.

14. 355

355 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 4, 2005
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Frank
    Agreed

15. Chaos

Chaos Formula 3

Sep 29, 2004
    Cardiff. UK
    Full Name:
    Nick.
    i didnt bring it up

its not about the end result - its about the attempt.

would you say that a bank robber who gets caught should be let off because it didnt benefit him ?

because i dont condone cheating im not a Ferrari fan - whatever

now your simply being facetious.
    grow up

16. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    A fine of about 100k would be appropriate.

You can't ignore the stewards rules. Regardless of whether it helps you or hurts you.

17. Geir

Geir Karting

Sep 7, 2006
    No reason for punishment IMHO.
    Starting on the wrong tires was almost as stupid as forgetting to fill gas on Massas car during qualifying earlier in the season.
    Since both cars had to pit to change tires and ended at the back of the field, I think they got plenty of punishment for that mistake.

Massa's drive through penalty was also indirectly caused by starting on the wrong tires....

18. 62 250 GTO

62 250 GTO F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Nova Scotia Canada
    Full Name:
    Neil
    So McLaren used the info and no one reported that to the FIA? There's the problem for McLaren.

How do you know Ferrari ignored the instruction? It is possible they didn't read it/ get it in time. There are easy ways of checking that. Also as for using wrong tires, it's possible to lose 20 seconds a lap with improper tires, especially when you're using a lighter tire in heavy rain.

Like I said before it's easy enough to check and why would they try to scuff off a couple of laps? They would have known that the Stewards could see the infraction and simply call them into the pits, it doesn't make sense.

Explain. I enjoyed seeing MS drive for Ferrari and I usually hold judgement until some proof is shown. Crying ban Ferrari for a season because they used improper tires for a few laps shows the inane thought process of the one who started this thread.

When McLaren was being investigated, I didn't call for their heads although I still question why "he" wasn't suspended ASAP when the investigation was underway.

19. Chaos

Chaos Formula 3

Sep 29, 2004
    Cardiff. UK
    Full Name:
    Nick.
    oh come on be realistic.

every other team knew it.
    all the comentators knew it.

there is no way on earth they didnt know -not a single chance in hell

yes you can lose 20 secs a lap, but under safety car conditions you lose nothing, nada, zip.
    if the rain then eased off as SF must have thought it would then they would have had a massive advantage that no other team had BECAUSE THE OTHER TEAMS FOLLOWED THE INSTRUCTIONS

20. dretceterini

dretceterini F1 Veteran

Apr 28, 2004
    Etceterini Land
    Full Name:
    Dr.Stuart Schaller
    No big fuss, but Ferrari DID violate the rules...

21. dretceterini

dretceterini F1 Veteran

Apr 28, 2004
    Etceterini Land
    Full Name:
    Dr.Stuart Schaller

I believe it is nothing but Ferrari BS that they didn't get the notice from the Steward of the Race about having to start on wets.

22. dretceterini

dretceterini F1 Veteran

Apr 28, 2004
    Etceterini Land
    Full Name:
    Dr.Stuart Schaller
    A rule was set by the Steward of the race that ALL teams had to start on wets. Ferrari is claiming they never got notice. I believe that is pure BS, and Ferrari deserves some type of penalty.

23. 355

355 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 4, 2005
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Frank
    Then why did Kimi spin on the formation lap? Did you watch the race?

24. GTE

GTE F1 World Champ

Jun 24, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Marnix
    what you believe is not relevant for the question whether or not Ferrari deserves a penalty.

Besides, how can this be BS? Why would Ferrari start deliberatly on a forbidden tyre?

25. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    They were gambling that the rain would stop.

Let's face it: A company like Ferrari doesn't make mistakes like this. It was a deliberate gamble, that back fired.

But regardless of the question of intent, they should be fined for disobeying a rule. Nothing draconian, but some $$$. Just like disobeying the speed limit in the pit lane etc.